PDA

View Full Version : Where to find Aluminum LED Bases for Acrylic?

Larry Bratton
12-05-2011, 9:50 PM
I am aware that member Jim Good sells these, however. he is difficult to contact. I have sent him a PM and called a phone number I believe to be his. I purchased some nice ones back in the summer from Northwest Acrylics in Salem Oregon. I contacted them today and they told me they no longer carried them. I have a new customer that I need to service with some 12" bases with 1/4" acrylic quickly. Does anyone know where I can acquire some similar to the NW Acrylic type on fast basis? I definitely need the ones with the power supply, set up and ready to slide the acrylic into and plug in. Thanks in advance for any info on a supplier.

Chuck Stone
12-06-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't know where to get them fast.. I know Decor and After website goes to someone else now
and there are a few choices there. Don't know how fast you can get them.

Doesn't seem like there's that many places that stock the ones you're talking
about. I'm ordering 100 to have on hand, but won't have them in time to help you
out, sorry.

bryan henderson
12-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Joe Kace(he is on here) starting making these, maybe he can help you. His business name is Laseriffic.

Larry Bratton
12-06-2011, 12:57 PM
I don't know where to get them fast.. I know Decor and After website goes to someone else now
and there are a few choices there. Don't know how fast you can get them.

Doesn't seem like there's that many places that stock the ones you're talking
about. I'm ordering 100 to have on hand, but won't have them in time to help you
out, sorry.

Yes Chuck, that site is the Northwest Acrylics guy. I called him on the phone. I think I will call them back and see if I can find out their source, that they don't use anymore. He didn't explain more.

Larry Bratton
12-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Joe Kace(he is on here) starting making these, maybe he can help you. His business name is Laseriffic.
Thanks Bryan, I'll check it out. Is there a link to a website?

bryan henderson
12-06-2011, 2:17 PM
Joe Kace does not have a website up and running yet, you can contact via thru this user group.

Larry Bratton
12-06-2011, 3:26 PM
Bryan,
Thanks again. Joe contacted me and unfortunately he is not in production yet. I keep hoping Jim Good will contact me.

Elliott Gerso
12-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Can someone post a picture of this and of one in action? I am assuming these are LEDs within an aluminum "frame" that fits on to the sides of acrylic for illumination. No?

David Takes
12-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Larry,

Ikonics Imaging has very nice anodized aluminum LED bases for 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" glass. They work just fine for acrylic. You can use an adapter or an optional battery pack that plugs into the adapter socket. It is their Genisis Luminary Base that is aluminum. They are phasing out their wooden LED bases.

Tom Sieczkarek
12-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Bryan,
Thanks again. Joe contacted me and unfortunately he is not in production yet. I keep hoping Jim Good will contact me.
I know Jim good does not have anything with aluminum bases on his pricing sheets.The bases he has take 3/32" materialand are about 5" in width. Did you try outwater plastics??
Hope this helps.

Larry Bratton
12-07-2011, 3:06 PM
Thanks to everyone that replied, including PMs. While searching for this product, I found another that may be helpful to others. I have not used the product, but looks like it would work well for our purposes. I remember seeing a YouTube that used this also for edge lighting a sign.
http://www.lumenedge.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=24 Call and ask for Raymond at 530-306-7226

Larry Allred
01-07-2012, 2:48 AM
A cheaper alternative would be strip LED lights. My local electronics shop (RaElco) has them. 18" for $15. Several colors, run on 12 VDC and they can be cut shorter. Just lay the strip in the channel under the panel you want to light. Vector a little slot in the base for the wires. Works nicely with stepped bases since everything inside is covered. Use a 12v wall wart laying around the house or pick one up in a thrift shop, surplus store or Radio Shack. Solder two places. Save $50 or more!

Bill Jermyn
01-07-2012, 3:45 PM
Harbor Sales (dot net) has some. I have no experience with them, but I'm thinking of ordering a base to check them out.

Doug Novic
01-08-2012, 9:22 AM
Not sure if this will help. I have used them and they present well.
http://www.motorcycle-leds DOT com/windshield-kit/. I do motorcycle customizing on the side and they light acryliz well. No heat either.