PDA

View Full Version : New Old Brace Question

Dan Andrews
12-05-2011, 7:03 PM
I just bought an H.O. White brace 6" throw, 10-1/2" long with a spring latch chuck. I have only 4 bits with the notch in the tapered square tang that these braces require. Unfortunately the bits do not appear have the notch in the correct place for this brace.

I checked the archived forums and all I found was addressing wooden braces. The answer for them was that each brace manufacture had it own placement for the notch so they are not interchangable.

All 4 of my bits are the same. Their notches line up with the catch in the brace well before they are inserted far enough into the chuck to be seated snugly into the sqare of the chuck. In other words, my bits have the notch too near the small end of the tang, or the tangs are not fat enough to seat before the notch is past the catch of the chuck.

So, finaly, my questions are: In the era of the all iron brace with the spring latch chuck was the placement of the notch and catch standardized yet? I am not a brace expert, but I would estimate the manufacture of my brace to be 1860--1880 roughly.

Do I have bits made for a wooden brace?

Is my brace U.S.A. made?

Jim Koepke
12-06-2011, 12:44 AM
I have some bits with the notches on them. Some of my more modern braces can hold them.

I do not know about your brace. Is it possible to file a notch where needed to make the bits you have work?

jtk

Dan Andrews
12-06-2011, 5:41 AM
Jim, you say "some of my more modern braces can hold them" You mean you have several spring latch braces? If so are the catches at different depths of the chuck? Are the chuck openings different sizes?

Yes I could file or grind notches in bits I have. However, This brace is for my tool collection and I would like to display it with at least one authentic notched bit that fits it if possible. In the mean time I think I will grind an old bit to fit. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim Koepke
12-06-2011, 1:43 PM
Jim, you say "some of my more modern braces can hold them" You mean you have several spring latch braces? If so are the catches at different depths of the chuck? Are the chuck openings different sizes?

I do not have any spring latch braces.

Some of the chucks on some of my braces are big enough to tighten up on the shaft of some of these odd bits.

As I recall, most are center bits and I think there may be a screw driver blade and a countersink with notched shafts.

jtk

Dan Andrews
12-06-2011, 7:48 PM
Thanks Jim, gotcha now.

Chris Vandiver
12-06-2011, 7:58 PM
Dan, You might do well to contact Sanford Moss about this question. He has an extensive brace collection and would probably have the answer to your question. He is at; http://www.sydnassloot.com/index.htm

Dan Andrews
12-08-2011, 6:06 AM
Thanks Chris, will do.

Steve Friedman
12-08-2011, 9:20 AM
you may also want to try George Langford's amazing bit and brace website - www.georgesbasement.com

Eric Brown
12-09-2011, 6:41 AM
Dan, I think that standards were not defined between manufacturers at the time your brace would have been made. The wooden braces were typically European and the all metal ones American. Each maker did typically keep the same notch location within their own designs. As for the bits, I have several with multiple notches. Some on the same side, some on opposite and even some on the corners. Another thing that varied was the overall size of the square shank and it's length. It's also interesting that after the two jawed chuck was invented the square shank got shorter.

For your situation I would first determine if the bits fit firmly into the socket. If they do, then file notches. If not, look for either a different set of bits or brace.

Good luck

Eric