PDA

View Full Version : QR Codes

Joe Hillmann
12-05-2011, 6:09 PM
Has anyone here played with using there laser to mark QR Codes? I was just playing around with the software that come with my yag and you can type in what ever you want it to say and it will create a laser ready qr code. Although I am trying to figure out how to download a QR reader to my phone to see if it works.

Craig Matheny
12-05-2011, 6:12 PM
I want to try it on glass

Michael Hunter
12-05-2011, 6:13 PM
I have lasered my website address as a QR code on LaserLights, about 20mm square. Works brilliantly.
I have also made bigger ones (about 60mm square) which are on the sides of my car.
I used the free QR code generator on the internet.

Joe Hillmann
12-05-2011, 6:24 PM
Can either of you suggest a site where someone could get a basic qr reader for there cellphone (samsung t528g)? I am having a hard time finding one that my phone can run.

Craig Matheny
12-05-2011, 6:29 PM
Can either of you suggest a site where someone could get a basic qr reader for there cellphone (samsung t528g)? I am having a hard time finding one that my phone can run.

http://www.mobilerated.com/samsung-sgh-t528g-applications.html has one for your phone it seems

Joe Hillmann
12-05-2011, 6:51 PM
Thanks for the link, but I can't get that one to work with the camera on my phone.

Craig Matheny
12-05-2011, 6:53 PM
Try this site https://market.android.com/ this is where I get all my apps

Michael Hunter
12-05-2011, 7:12 PM
The reader I got from the Android market was called "QuickMark*". Works well and also reads other barcodes.
Plenty of others to choose from, but since the first one worked I didn't bother to download any others.

* Its is a free one (too mean to pay for apps!)

matthew knott
12-05-2011, 7:37 PM
Is it the hans or the electrox your using?

Jeff Bratt
12-05-2011, 9:42 PM
Barcode apps often also read QR codes. I'm using the Android app "Barcode Scanner" by ZXing (free) which reads qrcodes..

Craig Matheny
12-05-2011, 9:45 PM
This is the same one I have works great

Mark Ross
12-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Hehe...QR codes, those are fine and all but if a QR code "terrorist" comes along... I remember reading an article about them catching a guy that was placing a QR code sticker over the original one on a politicians brochure...instead of going to the politicians site, it went to an adult site. The guy did not like the politician. I'll stick with my duby dubya dubya dot internet address dawt com for now...

Joe Hillmann
12-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Is it the hans or the electrox your using?

The electrox, I'm sure the hans can do it but it is such a pain in the *** that the only reason I fire it up is to keep the water filtered.

matthew knott
12-06-2011, 2:40 PM
Are you sure its QR codes, last time i asked (about 3 months ago) qr codes where not surported and they had no plans to add them? Have they lied to me?? Where did you find QR codes in the software, i have a new version and i cant anything. Cheers

Joe Hillmann
12-06-2011, 3:27 PM
Are you sure its QR codes, last time i asked (about 3 months ago) qr codes where not surported and they had no plans to add them? Have they lied to me?? Where did you find QR codes in the software, i have a new version and i cant anything. Cheers

I guess I was wrong it is a data matrix block that I am creating, thought it was the same thing as a QR code but did a little searching and see they are different.

matthew knott
12-06-2011, 4:37 PM
thats a shame, i was getting all excited then! datamatrix are very different and the phone readers dont normally work. You can still laser QR codes, you just need to use a free online QR generator and then convert the file it makes to something the laser software reads. But i have a job with 200 different codes so was hoping i could just get the laser to run through a list.

Joe Hillmann
12-06-2011, 4:55 PM
Matt, I haven't tried this with the screba software yet but it is the only QR code generator that creates the codes in a nice clean vector format that the screba fill software won't have problems with. Although it does create it with a white box around it and the website name so it adds quite a few steps. You have to save it then import it to Corel, remove the box and name, save it as a PLT then open it in screba. But it is still better then all the others I have tried that save as a bitmap.

http://qrcode.littleidiot.be/

Joe Hillmann
12-06-2011, 5:03 PM
The Hans has the ability to create QR codes in the software that comes with it. I'm running Hans Soft 5.0 (4 years old or so) It can do a fixed code, a time stamp or serialization. Although you may already know that and would just rather not use the hans.

matthew knott
12-06-2011, 5:23 PM
We hate ours, never ever use it, glad we didnt pay for it! We have 11 lasers now so to be fair it we would have to be very busy to use it, if only they had good software!

Joe Hillmann
12-06-2011, 5:30 PM
Oh don't be so hard on them, at least they have great customer service, which is necessary because you have to call them every few hours of run time to figure out what broke this time.

But seriously, if you have a job that requires 200 qr codes it might be worth firing it up. If you are just marking bare metal it might be faster than using an electrox.

matthew knott
12-06-2011, 7:43 PM
its a thought, can you import a list (like file import on the scriba)? I know where there are two 50 watt lamped pumped hans, still in the box never used, (unless they went in the skip) if you ever want another. I would always opt for a second hand electrox even if they where free, We purchsed a 100 watt scriba II (be close to your machines performance) for 6k US$ a few weeks ago, hopefully we will get it going straight after xmas but there are bargins to be had out there.

Richard DiMaggio
12-07-2011, 8:14 AM
I went to a website that allows you to create the CR code on the screen and then download it to your computer. I was successful in converting it to a tiff file (raster interpretation of the image) and load it to my laser and mark a piece of wood. Seems pretty easy... haven't tried putting it on glass yet, but it would seem to me that you need the contrast of the image for a reader to read the code. I will have to try it and get back to you on this...
rj

Joe Hillmann
12-07-2011, 10:38 AM
its a thought, can you import a list (like file import on the scriba)? I know where there are two 50 watt lamped pumped hans, still in the box never used, (unless they went in the skip) if you ever want another. I would always opt for a second hand electrox even if they where free, We purchsed a 100 watt scriba II (be close to your machines performance) for 6k US$ a few weeks ago, hopefully we will get it going straight after xmas but there are bargins to be had out there.

I know you can do mail merge with with the hans for a text block but I don't know if you can with barcodes, but if it is sequential numbering you are trying to do, it will do that automatically (looks like it will keep track of 3 sets of numbers in one code and advance each at whatever interval you set). It might be worth calling and asking, like I said they do have good customer service. When I call I always get the same guy and knows who I am and what I use the laser for so I have to give them credit there (although when ever I call about one of my other lasers they also know who I am and what I use them for). If you want Quinn's number(the guy I talk to) send me a pm and I'll send it to you.

Joe Hillmann
12-07-2011, 10:40 AM
And how on earth did you manage to get a 100 watt machine for $6,000? New that is over $100,000 right?

Craig Matheny
12-07-2011, 1:07 PM
You can get a new Epilog for 55k 100 watt if I recall correctly

Joe Hillmann
12-07-2011, 1:09 PM
You can get a new Epilog for 55k 100 watt if I recall correctly Is that a galvohead though?

matthew knott
12-07-2011, 2:17 PM
yeah gavo head,. would have cost about $60k new, its low hours and in pretty good shape (almost like new) with loads of spares. Its a lamped pumped lasers so old tech compared to diode pumped but still a good laser, and its has exactly the same galvos and software your has, yours was the next model along that just has diode pumped head. I spoke to the guys that run hans in the usa (ours was from china) and they said they couldnt help as they are only an agent an only deal with machines they sold. To be fair he did give us a bit of help with the software but that just confirmed how hard it was to use, jump delays, pologon delays etc arrrggggg!!!! why cant it just have power/speed/frequency and produce a nice mark.

Joe Hillmann
12-07-2011, 2:22 PM
What exactly are you trying to do with the qr codes? If I know what you want I can call up Quinn, get it to work on my machine and then tell you how to do it.