PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Style, Greene & Greene Blanket Chest

Mike Allen1010
12-05-2011, 5:29 PM
This probably belongs under the "Projects" forum, but since I built this using primarily hand tools and I think it's a nice project that fellow Neanaders may be interested in I'm posting it here.

This is a Greene and Greene, craftsman style blanket chest that I saw in the Taunton press "Blanket Chest" book by Peter Turner. It made a nice hand tool project because it didn't require much wood and the ebony plugs and "oversized finger joints" joinery were fun and interesting.

I recently inherited a 14” bandsaw and a 4” thick x 6” wide slab of walnut that I used to build this chest. I re-sawed the plank to 1”rough thickness and aligned them in a book matched style for the chest carcass and top. Everything except re-sawing was hand tools.I used ship lapped aromatic cedar to line the bottom.

The finish is a couple coats of Watco medium-walnut oil/varnish mix, followed by their liquid satin wax rubbed out with 0000 steel wool. I put a 1 Lb. cut of blonde shellac over the Watco on the inside to seal in the finish smell and allow the cedar to come through. If I had it to do over again, I would've put a couple coats of shellac over the entire chest because I really like the depth it adds to the finish and would've rubbed it out to get to a satin sheen.

Lessons Learned

1. The figured walnut has some interlocking grain and there was more tear out then I usually see with walnut. I have a range of Japanese planes, rehabilitated Stanley/Hock blades, LV bevel up and LN planes. I bought a LN # 4 1/2 smooth plane with the 55° frog and it gave me the best results in eliminating tear out over the most difficult interlocking sections of grain.

This was the first time I've used a plane with this high of a pitch, and initially it was difficult to push through the wood. However, once the pieces were sufficiently flattened and I was able to take very thin shavings, it became much easier to use and the mass and high bevel angle left a beautiful finish.

I also used card and cabinet scrapers, but interestingly I got the best results with the most problematic sections of grain by just holding a sharp plane blade in my hand at an 85° angle to the surface and using that as a scraper.

2. For the beveling/rounding over of the exposed finger joint end grain, I initially dry assembled joints and marked the shoulders and chamfered them before assembly. If I had it to do over again, I would leave all the fingers long, assemble the case and trim finger joints with a small cross cut saw and pare the end grain chamfers with narrow chisels. I used this approach on the last case side and it was easier and faster.

3. The photos and measurements in the book show the back of the case lid overhanging the rear of the carcass by a couple inches. I originally built the case top to these dimensions and then realized this would not allow for opening the lid more than 90°.

I ended up cutting off the overhanging rear section of the lid (including the already completed ebony plugs – ARG!), so I could open the chest more than 90° and reduce the risk of it falling closed inadvertently. In retrospect, it would look better with the overhanging rear lid and using chest lid hardware to prevent inadvertent closing.

I enjoy making blanket chests due to the limited time/lumber requirements (as compared to larger casework) and because I think they make nice gifts (this one is going to my oldest son will probably end up using it for tequila bottles in his college dorm room!).

There are a number of other interesting chests in Peter Turner's book, including a wide variety of different styles, and there are a couple more I plan to take a stab at.

Thanks for looking,

All the best, Mike

Chris Griggs
12-05-2011, 5:40 PM
That's a great chest mike - beautiful wood, beautiful execution. I love that you used aromatic cedar for the bottom, makes wish smell could come through the internet. I've been wanting to think of a good build to use some aromatic cedar in and that seems like great place to put it. I'll definitely borrow that idea if I build a blanket chest. I think you just gave me some inspiration for my next major project - I may need to pick up that book. Thanks for sharing.

John A. Callaway
12-05-2011, 7:50 PM
I built the chest in the link below earlier this year. I used Sapele for the frame work... The interlocking grain and the ribbon grain.... all of it rather aggravating to say the least, gave me a flat out fit. I bought the 55 degree frog for my LN 5&1/2 and ( experience after the fact taught me more ) I had a tough time planing that wood with the HAF set up. Turns out, I was trying to take a shaving too thick..... I thought at the time I WAS taking a thin shaving.... the dial caliper ( purchased later ) told me other wise .... After reading more about taming tear out, and discovering just how thin a shaving one can really take, I have since planed several left over boards with great results.... though, in some places tear out can still happen.... and the card scraper is the next thing to really learn to master....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167132-Arts-and-Crafts-style-Bridal-chest...&highlight= (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167132-Arts-and-Crafts-style-Bridal-chest...&highlight=)

These type of chests are fun, and each different style has its own challenges. I have had my eye on this one you built for a while, and it is one I would like to build at some point.

Yours came out great. I love the finger joints. great work.

Jim Koepke
12-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Very nice looking chest.

What are the finished dimensions?

jtk

Scott T Smith
12-06-2011, 3:20 PM
Mike, I really like the edge joinery. Nice!

James Owen
12-06-2011, 3:52 PM
Very nicely done! Beautiful wood and beautiful craftsmanship.

David Weaver
12-07-2011, 3:03 PM
Looks nice. Several posts of nice furniture lately.

Guaranteed most of the kids won't have anything nearly as nice to store their hard alcohol in. :)

Chris Griggs
12-07-2011, 3:14 PM
Mike, I'd curious to see some pics of the underside. Is the chest raised up on a base with cleats behind the baseboards/moldings or are those attached directly to the sides? I'm every bit as interested in the details that don't show as I am those that do - the stuff that doesn't show gives me a better idea of how to go about making something similar. Also, if you took any pics of the case before assembly or the build process I would love to see those. I suppose I could just buy the book, but I made the mistake of showing the pics of your chest to my my fiancee and telling her about the book it came from, and I've been told that I now need to wait until after the holidays to buy it, just in case it is given to me by her or a family member... DOH!

Mike Allen1010
12-08-2011, 2:36 PM
Mike, I'd curious to see some pics of the underside. Is the chest raised up on a base with cleats behind the baseboards/moldings or are those attached directly to the sides? I'm every bit as interested in the details that don't show as I am those that do - the stuff that doesn't show gives me a better idea of how to go about making something similar. Also, if you took any pics of the case before assembly or the build process I would love to see those. I suppose I could just buy the book, but I made the mistake of showing the pics of your chest to my my fiancee and telling her about the book it came from, and I've been told that I now need to wait until after the holidays to buy it, just in case it is given to me by her or a family member... DOH!

Chris,

The baseboard trim is glued directly to the case. Since the long grain orientation of the moldings and case sides are the same (re-sawed from the same plank) I don't think would movement will be a problem (I hope!). BTW, Chris Schwarz has a nice description of how to fit baseboard moldings like this around the outside of an already constructed case in his book "anarchist tool chest" – he uses the same construction in his tool chest.

The bottom is set into a rabbit cut into the bottom of all four sides of the chest. I did it this way, rather than capturing the bottom in a dado because I lined the bottom with Cedar and I wanted to install it last after all the other finishing was done so I didn't get any finish on the raw Cedar.

To accommodate for we wood movement, the bottom is BB plywood with 1/4" thick Cedar ship lapped over the top. On the bottom I glued some hardwood blocks in the corners and one in the middle, the chest actually rests on these blocks.

Good luck with the Christmas gift ideas! The jewelry chest you recently posted was beautiful, and I would love to see some pictures if you end up building one of the blanket chests out of Peter Turner's book.

All the best, Mike

Chris Griggs
12-08-2011, 3:23 PM
Thanks for the info Mike - I have the Schwarz book, but I tend to skim woodworking books (even the good ones) - guess I'll need to go back and look that up. I agree, should be no issue with wood movement between the baseboards and the sides (not that I actually know what I'm talking about).

Thanks for compliments - I'll keep posting my Neander builds if you keep posting yours. BTW, I would have never even noticed that you cut off part of the back if you hadn't pointed it out. Funny how things that no one else, probably not even a woodworker, would notice can be glaring from the perspective of the maker. Even though it's been pointed out to me, the fact that you cut down the back doesn't stand out to me in the least.

Again, fantastic work, congratulations!