PDA

View Full Version : Pennstateind and CSUSA shipping issue

Donny Lawson
12-05-2011, 5:22 PM
I mentioned this subject last week when I did a kind of "TEST" on shipping speeds for products and all I can say is CSUSA has it won "Hands Down". I placed an order with both places on the 27th around 5:30 pm within 20 minutes apart. I recieved my order from CSUSA on the 29th. I sent Pennstateind an e-mail last night asking why it takes so long to get anything from them. I called them this morning because I haven't recieved anything as of yet. (A week later). I was informed that it was shipped out on the 30th. She could not give me a reason why it took 3 days to ship out. She did say if I wanted it within 2 days the shipping rates would more than double from 7.50 to 22.50. I don't think so. If I can talk CSUSA to add a few products to their line I might drop Penn state all together. I did come home to a package today but it should not take that long.

Donny Lawson
12-05-2011, 5:24 PM
By the way "Both" orders was shipped Priority mail.

John Keeton
12-05-2011, 5:34 PM
Donny, I would assume Penn State is a much smaller operation, with a less efficient processing department. I guess if speed of shipping is critical, then that could be an issue for someone. Whether I received an order in 2 days vs. 6 days wouldn't usually be an issue to me. Price or availability of the item in which I was interested would be more of a consideration.

Interesting info, though.

Kevin W Johnson
12-05-2011, 5:52 PM
Penn state is most always slow, period. It's worse this time of year. Whats really funny is when they send out emails telling you to order by such a time and day to have it before Christmas. The date is too close to Christmas for them to even get it out, when it takes them a week to fill and ship.

Marty Eargle
12-05-2011, 6:01 PM
I placed an order from PSI late Thursday night and as of this morning at 9am it still was not shipped. That's just how they do business. If CSUSA carried a few more random products and accepted Paypal, they would get my business 100% of the time.

David E Keller
12-05-2011, 6:18 PM
I can't recall what you were buying, but I've had good luck buying from Packard also.

Kevin Stanbary
12-05-2011, 6:22 PM
I've had good luck with buying PSI products from Woodturningz...

Scott T Smith
12-05-2011, 6:41 PM
I've had mixed results from PSI. Three weeks ago it took them about 3 days to ship a product. Then, an order that we placed on Friday was delivered today.

wes murphy
12-05-2011, 6:43 PM
Donny, I would assume Penn State is a much smaller operation, with a less efficient processing department. I guess if speed of shipping is critical, then that could be an issue for someone. Whether I received an order in 2 days vs. 6 days wouldn't usually be an issue to me. Price or availability of the item in which I was interested would be more of a consideration.

Interesting info, though.John, CSUSA is not as large as one might think. There are two guys pulling orders and two packing the items. CSUSA is setup super efficent and motivated workers. Makes all the difference. Its a Nish family business and darn nice people.

Robert McGowen
12-05-2011, 7:11 PM
I mentioned this subject last week when I did a kind of "TEST" on shipping speeds for products and all I can say is CSUSA has it won "Hands Down". I placed an order with both places on the 27th around 5:30 pm within 20 minutes apart. I recieved my order from CSUSA on the 29th. I sent Pennstateind an e-mail last night asking why it takes so long to get anything from them. I called them this morning because I haven't recieved anything as of yet. (A week later). I was informed that it was shipped out on the 30th. She could not give me a reason why it took 3 days to ship out.

I guess anything can be an issue if you want it to be one. You ordered on a Sunday night and CSUSA shipped on Monday and Penn State shipped on Wednesday. Any other time differences have to do with the shipping company, not the people that you purchased from. I think that the company that got your package to you overnight should be receiving the kudos and I guess I don't really see what Penn State did wrong. YMMV

Marty Eargle
12-05-2011, 7:16 PM
Robert, the issue is the Penn State has a reputation for taking their time on getting orders out. I will agree that CSUSA has above average service, but in PSI's case...I can't say that getting an order and taking up to four business days to even ship the order is average.

Robert McGowen
12-05-2011, 7:25 PM
Robert, the issue is the Penn State has a reputation for taking their time on getting orders out. I will agree that CSUSA has above average service, but in PSI's case...I can't say that getting an order and taking up to four business days to even ship the order is average.

Hi Marty. I understand. It is just that if I order something from a company that has a reputation of taking 3-4 days to ship and lo and behold, they ship my order in 3 days, I just don't see where the headlines are in this story.

Copied from Penn State Industries website - "We will make every effort to ship parts and accessories within 1-4 days of receiving your order." Still don't see what the problem is since they shipped within that time period.

Brian Libby
12-05-2011, 7:35 PM
To put things into purspective, the company that I work for manufactures Aluminum store front and entrances. Some of the door hardware takes 1 to 2 weeks (some even longer) before it ships. My Boss ordered some extrusion last week and it will not ship until February!!

Roger Chandler
12-05-2011, 8:20 PM
When I first started doing business with Penn State Industries it was like about 1988. They were a full service wood working machine dealer...........I bought a scroll saw from them, a drill press, and maybe a couple more tools. I lived about 40 miles from Philadelphia then.

When I got into turning a few years ago, I had not ordered anything in a number of years and found out they now only carry turning related items and dust collection. I wondered what happened to the company? I guess Grizzly and others just took so much market share, they could not compete.

They used to be excellent, but now it seems they take a little longer to get things out...........but in my opinion they still do a decent job...........they went the extra mile for me once when I ordered an item from Amazon.com.

Donny Lawson
12-05-2011, 8:39 PM
Penn State might be a good company in itself but it looks like they could better themselves and get it out the door faster. To me faster service is happier customers."In my opinion", If I were Penn state I would listen to the customers and see about improvements like shipping faster. I would not want my competition to out do me if I could help it. If CSUSA can get the products out the same day anyone else can to. Just my 2 cents.

Joe Ruden
12-05-2011, 9:47 PM
If I'm not mistaken, PSI only sends shipments out twice a week. One of the reasons I hesitate buying from them.

Don Alexander
12-05-2011, 9:49 PM
guess i'm getting old ............ cause i just don't understand the 'instant gratification' mindset that seems to have taken over the world

while its interesting (and even useful) to compare stuff like this, its not exactly fair to villify a company for doing exactly what was promised

my grandfather used to say things like "slow down and smell the coffee" and "don't be in such a hurry that you miss whats right in front of your face" and my personal favorite "the hurrieder i go the behinder i get"

point being that life is short and you only get to live it once .... so relax , slow down and savor every moment
:)

Marty Eargle
12-05-2011, 10:11 PM
I don't have a huge problem with them, as I continue to order from them. And I will continue to do so until I can find another company that suits my needs or gives me a good reason to give them my business.

My issue is that in business, competitors set bars for each other, and when all of the companies that sell the same products that you do to the same niche of people...it's good business to move up to the bar. PSI does themselves a disservice by not keeping up with the prompt shipping practices of CSUSA, Packard, etc.

Bernie Weishapl
12-05-2011, 10:17 PM
I think every woodturning business I order from is faster than PSI. It says everytime I order that if after I think 3 pm there time that it will be 1 to 4 days for shipping starting the next business day. I ordered from them on a Friday afternoon I think around 3 pm there time. They didn't even acknowledge it till Monday. So it didn't get shipped till Wednesday and I got it the next Thursday. So it was basically almost two weeks before I got the order. That same Friday I ordered from CSUSA and Packard Woodworks. I got CSUSA on Tuesday and Packard on Wednesday. I got both orders before PSI even shipped.

Mike Campbell KS
12-05-2011, 10:20 PM
My issue is that in business, competitors set bars for each other, and when all of the companies that sell the same products that you do to the same niche of people...it's good business to move up to the bar. PSI does themselves a disservice by not keeping up with the prompt shipping practices of CSUSA, Packard, etc.

This is the problem I have always had with PSI. A while back I was told that unless your order was NDA, they would only ship on Wed. or Thursday of the week. When I can buy from several other companies that carry PSI's line of products (and which are often cheaperthan PSI), I would expect that they would do something to solidify their presence in the online purchasing world. Craft supply has been nothing short of EXCELLENT in the handful of times in which I have ordered from them, and are probably my number one internet source for woodturning supplies now.

Don Alexander
12-05-2011, 11:40 PM
its entirely possible that they are busy enough shipping product to resellers (quite a few places to get PSI stuff) that they don't feel the need to change the way they deal with individuals

at any rate whatever the reason , at least you get what you ordered in the promised time frame and the few times i have had a problem with a pen kit , they have promptly made it right

i think we have it pretty good in that there are a good number of vendors from whom we can choose and from whom we can get good quality products at reasonably fair prices

Donny Lawson
12-06-2011, 6:50 AM
I will agree with Bernie. Anyone can better themselves if they want to. Most of the time shipping is not an issue but around the holidays it is an issue. When your not sure what people will want until the last minute, thats when you need faster shipping. oh well, it will be better in January. Things should slow down.

Jerry Rhoads
12-06-2011, 8:55 AM
Many, many Kudos to Craft Supplies, I get delivery in 3-4 days for where I live(Central IL)
Seems they are all well trained, including the ones taking orders. They must teach everyone they hire to turn, so that they will have an idea what customers are talking about. People ansering the phones sometimes answer my questions and if not find out, or refer me to someone who does very quickly.

Packard employees are also very well trained. And Kudos to them also.

Kudos to Choice Woods who are also very good

I do not know how these companys do all the work they do with so few employees.

I could go on and on about some of the smaller companys too, Craig Jackson, Doug Thompson, Vince, Rob, Berea on and on

I very much like talking to and ordering (& buying at symposiums) from people who know what I am wanting (or help me figgure out what I am wanting

Sorry about the rambling, and I may have gotten away from the subject. But I try to buy from those who treat me like a person instead of like an order.

Jerry

John Keeton
12-06-2011, 9:01 AM
Folks, seems like this horse is down, and nearly dead! I think we have established there is a group that wants immediate service and delivery and a group that has a bit more patience. Age may factor into that somewhat!;) :)

Let's not beat on this one anymore. Thanks.

Kenny Jacobson
12-06-2011, 1:04 PM
My thing is, Penn State seems to be consistently less expensive across the board. The quality (with the exception of the "funline" stuff) seems good to me. Maybe I should compare quality with CSUSA, I don't know? But so far, I'm willing to wait a few extra days for the dollars I save going through Penn State.