PDA

View Full Version : Food Safe Finishes

Prashun Patel
12-05-2011, 11:20 AM
I was just re-reading for the 10th time Bob Flexner's "Understanding Wood Finishing" this weekend and stumbled upon something I thought worthy or (re)mention:

According to him, it's a myth that there are 'food-safe' and 'not food-safe' finishes. Prior to the 1970's, lead was used as a drying agent to help finishes cure. However, that is no longer the case.

The solvents may not be food safe, but after curing, these are no longer present.

I concluded that as long as you understand when yr finish has cured, it's possible to use many varnishes (poly or otherwise) for food applications.

Anyway, that's a great read if any of you are interested.

Jim Burr
12-05-2011, 11:44 AM
The USDA last did a study in the late 90's on food safe finishes. It's conclusion was the same. A simple way, although I'm not sure of the accuracy, is if you can still smell the finish...it's not cured yet.

Reed Gray
12-05-2011, 12:50 PM
I ran into some one who was sensitive to tolulene, which is a fairly common chemical in some finishes and solvents. She said that it does not all go away. For me, I just don't like putting anything on my bowls that I could not eat as is without problems. Soft oils for me, like Mike Mahoney's walnut oil, or no oil/bare wood which just doesn't look or feel right, or any vegetable oil.

robo hippy

Russell Neyman
12-06-2011, 1:41 AM
I have an ongoing and lively debate with the manager of one of the galleries that shows my work. Pointing to a piece that was completely covered with worm holes (it was called "Wormey" and is shown in my personal gallery here, too) she asked, "Now, does this bowl have a 'food safe' finish?"

"Well, it does," I answered, "because any finish that is cured is 'food safe' but I wouldn't suggest you use this for a salad or a bowl of spagetti because all those little pockets will collect oil and grease and food particles and you'll ruin it. Besides, why would you use a $400 piece of art to serve food?" I further explained that that pretty much went for most of my pieces, since I have lots of natural edge and bark inclusions. So, a week later I go into the gallery and she has large red labels on my bowls that read:

WARNING!
This Bowl Is Not Food Safe.

The impression that leaves is that these things are toxic and dangerous to have around the house. I find there are all sorts of wives' tales about finishes in the world of woodworking. Yes, some cannot take the abuse of knives and utensils, but all are safe for food once they are cured and hard.

Michael Menzli
12-06-2011, 8:07 AM
I dont like that she "labeled" you by any means. Coming from an "organic" perspective I have biased views on finishes. As someone else stated even trace amounts of chemicals scare me ... and can you ever be sure? The reality is we ingest these same amounts on a daily basis from plastics and even in the food...so to each their own really...

Oh and the USDA has shown to be heavily influenced by a variety of industries throughout the years...oil being one...tolerating a number of inhumane practices..so it wouldnt surprise me that they approve or rule out certain things even if they are not safe for the sake of helping a bro out..

Michelle Rich
12-06-2011, 9:30 AM
I agree Michael: just because you don't drop dead when the finish hits your lips, doesn't mean it is GOOD for you or not. The USDA allows all sorts of things in our food..metals, mouse droppings, dirt, chemicals, etc. To me their decisions hold little weight. Don't trust them one bit.

Richard Jones
12-06-2011, 9:55 AM
A plus to using walnut oil or mineral oil is that it's available at the grocery or drug store, and anyone can re-apply it. I use walnut oil like this: 214946 and sometimes food grade mineral oil.

Rich

John Keeton
12-06-2011, 9:59 AM
Richard, if I switched to a "gourmet oil" can I then call my work "gourmet" turnings??:D I agree with you on the availability of walnut oil and mineral oil and its use. The "science" of this issue matters little - it is public perception that will be the deciding factor. Why risk someone questioning your finish on a utiltity bowl? Folks are used to the concept of mineral oil and walnut oil being consumable and safe.

Hayes Rutherford
12-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Richard, that particular brand is one of my favorites. Smells so good being roasted, more than once I've gone out to my finishing room to get some for a salad or for stir fry. Amazon has a great price on three bottles with free shipping.

Reed Gray
12-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Russel,
Anthony Yak, a moderator at Woodnet says, "If it don't hold soup, then it is art." Love that.

There are two types of walnut oils. One, like Mike's is from the nut husks and leaves, the other salad oil type is from the nut meats. I think they also use two different extraction methods. Some of the food grade oils are pasteurized, which is supposed to break down the proteins which cause the allergic reactions. This in turn prevents the cross linking of molecules (or what ever it is that happens in curing) that lets the finish cure and harden.

Any oil will make the wood look and feel better, which is very important for those customers. They have to be able to pick up the bowl and fondle it. I don't like the mineral oil though. It is gone very quickly.

robo hippy