PDA

View Full Version : Best wood for bookmarks?

dave hensley
12-05-2011, 8:24 AM
Hey everyone,

I want to try making some wooden bookmarks and was wondering if anyone could recommend a type of wood that would work well. My wife has a couple of these that she's bought and she thought it would be nice to give a few away as gifts this year. I am thinking a thickness of 1/32 but what would be durable enough at that thickness to hold up well but also play nice with the laser?

Thanks!
Dave

Mike Null
12-05-2011, 11:15 AM
1/32" is perfect for the purpose. Cherry is a good wood but just about any hardwood will work well.

Jim Beachler
12-06-2011, 4:31 PM
Check out the website: CardsofWood.com.
They sell plain wood bookmarks in many different types of wood.

Elliott Gerso
12-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Check out the website: CardsofWood.com.
They sell plain wood bookmarks in many different types of wood.

Their prices seem obscenely high. I am going to my local lumber distributer to get veneer pricing tomorrow for holiday card for our top cusotmers. I'll report back on their pricing in comparison to cardsofwood.

dave hensley
12-07-2011, 9:26 AM
Thanks all for the replies!! I'll look forward to hearing what you find out Elliot!

Mike Null
12-07-2011, 3:10 PM
Several years ago there was a good article in FWW about a fellow who made bookmarks full time using his scroll saw--really neat stuff and as I recall he sold most to LL Bean. Anyway a search of FWW archives should turn up the article.

Craig B Smith
12-07-2011, 6:42 PM
Hi Dave,
We use 1/64" Midway Brand plywood from Hobby Lobby.

dave hensley
12-08-2011, 8:26 AM
Thanks Mike! I'll try to find that.

Those look great Craig! How does the 1/64 hold up? My wife reads daily, so her bookmarks get a lot of handling. I assumed 1/64 might be too thin, so I was planning on trying 1/32.

Craig B Smith
12-08-2011, 9:11 AM
We do quite a few of these. The wood is 3-ply thick and holds up great. I started with veneer but found that they would split too easy.

dave hensley
12-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Good news then! I'll pick some up and give it a try. Thanks!!

George M. Perzel
12-08-2011, 6:04 PM
Hi Dave;
"Standard" veneer is now about 1/42" thick-used to be 1/28" was standard. A ton of veneer in every wood imaginable is available on Ebay at great prices. Get a couple of different kinds and a can of 3M spray adhesive, arrange one veneer cross band to the other, spray, wait 30 secs, bond together and put a little weight on it overnight-now you have great stuff for bookmarks-even a caveman can do it!!!
I do not have any relationship with 3M nor do I own the company or know anyone there nor do my immediate relatives or their firstborns.
Regards
george

Bruce Clumpner
12-10-2011, 8:41 PM
Craig,

I'd like to give it a try too. Do you run out to the Rancho Cucamonga store or order on-line? I only see their 1/32" Midway stock on-line. Does any other OC store carry that thickness?

Lee DeRaud
12-10-2011, 8:53 PM
I'd like to give it a try too. Do you run out to the Rancho Cucamonga store or order on-line? I only see their 1/32" Midway stock on-line. Does any other OC store carry that thickness?FWIW, I've seen it at Michael's (Weir Canyon/91) and Ultimate Hobbies (Katella/55).

Bruce Clumpner
12-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks Lee,

I'll try the Michaels down here, if nothing else, then I'll try the Ultimate Hobbies

-b