PDA

View Full Version : Rehabbed jointer and low angle block planes

Marc Hills
03-07-2005, 11:39 PM
I figured I'd be less likely to anger the tool collector gods by restricting my restoration efforts to these less collectable specimens: a Craftsman knuckle joint low angle block plane and a Fulton #7 jointer.

Neither was in such hot shape before I started working on them. The jointer in particular looked pretty sad, except inexplicably, the finish on the knob and tote. I left them alone save a little paste wax.

Both planes got a nice long soak in my electrolysis bath and then the cheeks and soles were polished on a progression of grits of wet/dry abrasives on a piece of MDF. 200 strokes in one direction, then rotate the plane 180 degress and another 200 strokes, then switch back, etc. I think I acheived some sort of transcendental state of consciousness by the time I got up to 400 grit with the jointer.

The most controversial step involved applying some gloss black enamel where the japanning had worn off the jointer. Someday I'll graduate to real japanning, but in the mean time I get pretty good looking results with good old Rustoleum. A little polishing paste, sharpening of blades and I was making nice smooth shavings.

I laid one of the jointer's shavings on the carpenters rule. It's a little hard to see, but the numbers and markings were quite visible through the shaving. :)
Very few people on the planet aside from you guys know what a sense of accomplishment I felt being able to do that.

Roy Wall
03-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Mark,

Well done and inspirational!!!! We are minorities on the planet that knows the value of the fine shaving:cool:

I hear you on the "transcendental state of consciousness" bit:D :D

On a side note.....I'm wanting to remove the rust & rehab an old DT saw---can I take the handle off and do electrolysis???

Good work!!