PDA

View Full Version : One piece Rollerball pen?

Tom Potter
12-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Hey Guys and Gals,

I would like to make a Rollerball Pen that is either a twist style or a click style. Is there such a kit?

Have you ever modified a kit so that it will either twist or click?

Thanks a bunch,
Tom

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2011, 10:53 PM
I have never seen a pen kit that could be modified from one type to twist or click. There are numerous suppliers out there that you can get roller ball pen kits most in twist form but there are a few in click form. Woodcraft, Penn State industries, Woodturningz, Arizona Silhouette, Bear Tooth Woods, Berea, Craft Supply, and Packard Woodworks just to name a few all have twist or click type pens. There are several more pen kit companies out there. I use Woodcraft, Bear Tooth Woods, and Berea for most of my kits.

Tom Potter
12-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Thanks Bernie for the reply, but what I am looking for is a true Rollerball in twist or click, not a ball point pen. All of the Rollerball pens that I have found are two piece. I am looking for a one piece Rollerball pen.

Tom

Jim Burr
12-04-2011, 11:33 PM
The Vertex is a long barrel (one piece) that is a clicker. Rollerball refills are common. I just did a cast and turn for a couple of RN's at work that wanted a rollerball insert. Office max/depot have the refill for about 2 bucks in rollerball style.

Eric Holmquist
12-04-2011, 11:58 PM
While it is not impossible, it can be a challenge to have a one-piece Rollerball. Rollerball ink is water based unlike Ball point which is oil based. As a result you tend to have problems with the cartridge with non-capped Rollerball pens. There may be specialty Rollerball cartridges that won't dry out.

Tom Potter
12-05-2011, 8:12 AM
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that Rollerball is water based and tends to dry out.

Tom

Jim Burr
12-05-2011, 8:48 AM
Just get a gell rollerball refill.

James Combs
12-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Just get a gell rollerball refill.

+1 on the gell fill. Writes like a roller-ball but doesn't dry in "normal" use. However, all pens tend to dry at the tip if not used frequently.

John Terefenko
12-05-2011, 11:02 AM
You can as others mentioned go one of 2 ways. Use a Private Reserve 9000 refill or a Private reserve P900 gel rewfill and either one will pass the test of using a rollerball and to some may even be better. These are made by Schmidt.

Chris Stolicky
12-05-2011, 12:33 PM
You can as others mentioned go one of 2 ways. Use a Private Reserve 9000 refill or a Private reserve P900 gel rewfill and either one will pass the test of using a rollerball and to some may even be better. These are made by Schmidt.

What John said. There are many one piece pens that use a Parker-style refill, and you can get Parker-style refills that are essentially rollerballs.

Tom Potter
12-06-2011, 3:37 PM
I guess I had the answer before I asked. I had picked up a bunch of the Schmidt Private Reserve 9000 refills serveral months ago. I just didn't realize that the quality of writing was that close to the Rollerball.

Tom