PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl Form

Nate Davey
12-04-2011, 8:57 PM
This is the last "large" piece of the $20 cherry burl. I'm not sure what you would call this shape, but it's something that's been in my head so thought I would get it out. This is the thinnest I've ever turned, it's not "Hackler Thin" but thin for me. This was hollowed entirely with my Ci1 Finisher. Another first, is the finishing. On the late Elmer Adams 4th YouTube video, he shows his forms soaking in DO for 12 hours. He does this four times. My form is much smaller, So soaked it for two hours. Not sure how many times I'll do this, but I'm guessing at least four. This pic was taken after the first soak. Comments and criticism appreciated. Form is 4"x4".

As this was thin and had a big hole in it, I had to sort out a way to turn the bottom, there's no such thing as too much tape.

Scott Hackler
12-04-2011, 9:03 PM
Very nice Nate. I like fat bottomed vessels and this one is very nice. At first glance I thought you might have stolen this from Keller's private stash, since he can't turn anything without a fist sized hole in it!

Nate Davey
12-04-2011, 9:10 PM
There aren't enough holes in this to be a Keller piece, but thanks for the compliment. :D

John Keeton
12-04-2011, 9:15 PM
Nate, this is a very, very pleasing form!! Excellent wood, too. You definitely need a way to do the bottoms, though. Using a whole roll of painter tape on each one could get expensive!

David E Keller
12-04-2011, 9:24 PM
You scared me there, Scott... I ran out and checked the stash, and it appears that Nate obtained this wood elsewhere!

I like this piece, Nate! I can see why you used a few rolls of tape when finishing the bottom! I don't mean the following as a criticism but rather a thought/suggestion... I'd consider adding some kind of detail at the lip/opening on this piece. A small bead or textured area would be a nice touch I think. It's great as it is, but I've done a few kind of like this, and I think I should have put some kind of detail near the top of them.

Derek Gilmer
12-04-2011, 9:32 PM
Very nice. It reminds me of the shape of classic pottery and the missing parts make it look like a fractured antique. I could imagine seeing this in a museum somewhere.

As for holding stuff together, random (and maybe dumb) thought here. But could you use an ace elastic bandage? You could wrap it around and they stick at the ends with velcro. You could then unwrap and re-use the bandage on other pieces. And if you need more you can stick two or 30 end to end with the velcro end.

Scott Hackler
12-04-2011, 9:35 PM
I use filament (strapping) tape for anti-blow-apart turnings. It doesn't take very much of it to hold things together, but the adhesive is very strong so one coat of painters tape and a couple pieces of strapping tape and your good to go.

Baxter Smith
12-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Well done Nate! I like the form and the wood has plenty of stuff to make it interesting. Neat piece!

Michelle Rich
12-05-2011, 6:01 AM
looks like it came out of an archeological dig! very cool

Dennis Ford
12-05-2011, 8:31 AM
The cherry burl looks like it grew just to be made into this piece, good job.

Tim Rinehart
12-05-2011, 8:51 AM
Nate, I like this piece too. I'll go along with David's suggestion about a detail ... as I've been in same boat after doing a piece. Nothing wrong with this shape, it does have a nice flow to it and as Derek said, kinda has that fractured antique look.
If you're not doing it...something I found has improved my outcomes (if you're not already doing it) is to try and sketch out what you're gonna do, even if it requires some initial turning to develop how much of the form is usable. When you do this, it makes it much easier to see final shape and think out possible details, like beading/banding/burning/branding...ok...I'll stop, you get the point.

Keep turning man...your work looks great!

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2011, 8:53 AM
Nice work Nate! Pretty wood! Great job on the form! Has a very organic/natural look to it!

Bernie Weishapl
12-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Really a beauty Nate. I like the rustic look of the wood.

Nate Davey
12-05-2011, 6:44 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments.

Doc, never gave a decorative embellishment at the top a thought. Have to give that a shot some time.

Tim, About that planning thing........:D. I have downloaded pics of a bunch of different forms I want to try. I call that planning, right???

David DeCristoforo
12-05-2011, 8:47 PM
Very cool! It used to be that guys who finished drywall were the ones called "tapers".

Don Alexander
12-05-2011, 9:22 PM
really cool piece of wood and i like what you did with it alot

who knew a roll of blue tape would "turn" out so nice :D:D:D

Kathy Marshall
12-05-2011, 9:40 PM
Really nice job Nate! Nice form, cool wood and great job keeping it in one piece!

David Reed
12-06-2011, 12:03 AM
there is a lot going on in this piece of burl and I too am a great fan of the fat bottom and not afraid of voids. Nice execution and nice to see it did not explode on you. Gotta work up the courage to turn more air - very satisfying.