PDA

View Full Version : Looking for owners manual for older Williams and Hussey molder

Jack Wilson
12-04-2011, 6:21 PM
Hello all, I am looking to get a Williams and Hussey molder, probably an older one. I have been looking at a W7 and wondered if anybody has an owners manual. Additionally if any of you have experience with these machines, tips, tricks, cautions... please share them.

Thanks,
Jack

Dave Cav
12-04-2011, 6:30 PM
For information on use, go to owwm dot org. For the manual, your best bet is VintageMachinery dot org.

Bill ThompsonNM
12-04-2011, 7:01 PM
All of the Williams and hussey manuals are online at their website. From very old to new models. Great machines. Great service. One of the best purchases I ever made.

Jack Wilson
12-04-2011, 9:54 PM
Bill and Dave, thanks for your reply's, however I did not find a manual for the w7 ay either site. I did write to them and perhaps I will get a link in their reply.

Thanks,

Bill ThompsonNM
12-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Look under 'about us' for the manuals menu. If that doesn't work call them or pm me. I think I have most of them downloaded on one of my computers. Bill

Bill ThompsonNM
12-05-2011, 12:19 AM
I think the W7 designation is the problem. If you look at the '91 manual it pretty much covers all older years. I think that's about what I have. I just upgraded mine with the variable speed feed, despite it being 30 years old. The basic model hasn't changed much, though I notice they now have proved dust collection.

Peter Quinn
12-05-2011, 6:13 AM
Hello all, I am looking to get a Williams and Hussey molder, probably an older one. I have been looking at a W7 and wondered if anybody has an owners manual. Additionally if any of you have experience with these machines, tips, tricks, cautions... please share them.Thanks,JackAny experience? Variable speed is huge. I have used an older Hussey at work that spits wood through at 15FPM and that is just too fast for many things. You get lots of knife marks that have to be sanded out and some species tear out more. I bought then shop fox clone, and whe I first got it it was fixed speed at 15 FPM, same results. I added the variable speed option, made a bed board with additional hold downs using board buddies from my TS and some t track to hold the guide rails. Night and day difference. At a slower speed casings come off my little moldermlooking like they just came off a high speed through molder. Little to no sanding required form paint grade, light sanding in stain grade as expected. The hold downs are useful when spinning knives that take more off one side of a molding than thenother, like am door casing. Without this one side of the molding has no down pressure on out feed and you can get somemlifting and chatter.

Jack Wilson
12-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Hey Pete, thank you for the insight. I did get the W7, it does have a power feed in and out, no frame just molder and motor so I haven't run it yet, soon maybe. Also good to know about the uneven knife tip.

Thanks!

Jack