PDA

View Full Version : WWGoA DVD by mail strongarm

Jamie Schmitz
12-04-2011, 3:43 PM
So I received a Woodworkers Guild of America DVD a month ago (I am not a member), which if I remember right had some video demos of tools and maybe some project files. So it really was something that I had not signed up for and so I just put it in the recycling bin. Yesterday I get a letter from them saying that I must either send a payment for the DVD or mail back the DVD. This to me seems really unprofessional and almost scandalous.

FYI I tossed the letter,they have got to be kidding.

Matt Meiser
12-04-2011, 3:51 PM
It's not almost scandalous, it's illegal. If they want to insist, contact your local post office. My mom had good luck with that route when she started getting bills for some Internet search service.

Steve Costa
12-04-2011, 5:11 PM
I had the same experience with these folks. After the second letter "demanding" I send them a check or return the DVD I just started throwing their correspondence away. You are bound to get 3 to 5 more such "demands" before they give up. I suggest using the paper shredder. And yes, it is illegal to demand payment for something you did not order.

Dan Hintz
12-05-2011, 8:24 AM
Signing up for the cheaper woodworking mags (e.g., Wood) will get you on the mailing list. So far I've been sent some router bits, a couple of books, some plastic templates, and some other assorted junk.

Lots of "Please pay now" letters, and they all end up in the trash. Didn't ask for it, didn't want it, not gonna pay.

Scott Flamm
12-05-2011, 10:52 AM
I received the same DVD a while back. After several letters similar to yours they admitted that I was under no obligation to pay or send the DVD back since I had not requested it. They are just hoping that you will cave in to their letters. I No longer receive any mail from them.

John Coloccia
12-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Jamie. You're helping me add to my ever growing list of companies and organizations that I will NEVER, under any circumstances, do business with.

Further, they are in violation of FEDERAL law. I would strongly suggest saving all of your evidence and filling a complaint with your local postal inspector...and follow up on the complaint. Make sure they get nailed for this. They get away with it because no one does anything about it. You think the mob is bad? Postal inspectors will have these guys crying from what I hear.