PDA

View Full Version : Please help me decide on router

Jeff Mclaney
12-04-2011, 2:58 PM
This is my first post here but i have been an avid reader of this forum for quite awhile. I have a workshop always full of projects from making fishing lures to building metal trailers. I do a lot of tinkering with wood and have been getting the fever to do it more for a while. I have a nice little Bosch router I really like using for rounding edges and such, but I have accuired a very nice cast iron router table top that I've built a stand for and I need a machine to go in it. I may not use it very much and then again I may use it all the time. At any rate, I don't ever want to feel like it is underpowered like my small one feels sometimes. I want it to be able to turn any bit I may ever get for it. Price is not a concern because I have next to nothing in the table so I'm willing to pony up for the router. Any advice would be appreciated

John Fabre
12-04-2011, 3:02 PM
PC 7518, it's a power house. Do you have a lift for your top or does it need one.

johnny means
12-04-2011, 3:11 PM
If your router has to be mounted directly to the top, I would recommend the Milwaukee 5625 as it has built in above the table adjustment. If your going to be using a lift the PC is pretty much the best choice hands down. Definitely don't bother with anything less than 3 hp.

Jeff Mclaney
12-04-2011, 3:12 PM
It doesn't have one. I will get one if its necessary. Is it? I've never in my life used a router in a table. There is just a plate there.

scott spencer
12-04-2011, 3:32 PM
The heavyweights that come up the most often in these threads are the Milwaukee 5625 and PC7518. The 5625 has above table height adjust, and will likely be owned by the same parent company next month. :rolleyes: :D

Jeff Mclaney
12-04-2011, 4:18 PM
Yeah, those are the two ive read about the most. I'm just wondering which one is the best

Stan Mitchell
12-04-2011, 5:03 PM
Can't say which is best - best to flip a coin. I have the Milwaukee 5625 in my table with a Woodpecker lift and am completely satisfied.

I found that once I had a good router table - that I use it all the time - much more than I thought I would.

BTW - router lifts are worth considering. They make setup a breeze.

Aleks Hunter
12-04-2011, 6:59 PM
I have to second John's nomination of the PC 7518, Soft start, built like a tank and plows through any wood like a bulldozer. I put one under a cast iron wing on a lift and LOVE the thing.

Aleks Hunter
12-04-2011, 7:01 PM
The one mounted in a router lift is the best :D

Jeff Mclaney
12-04-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm leaning toward the Porter Cable right this moment. I may change my mind by this weekend, who knows. I'm going to go to Home depot and get one or the other this weekend though. It will probably have to be ordered though. I doubt they carry it in stock but I know they carry both brands. Big orange is the closest thing to a decent tool store around my neck of the woods

Larry Edgerton
12-05-2011, 6:18 AM
I have three of the 7518s that have been run hard and put away wet for up to 20 years, and they all still work just fine.

Instead of going to home depot why not order it from a company that does less to destroy the quality of tools and contributes less to our trade imbalance with China? There are many smaller tool companys that will be cheaper, will have them in stock, and may even have help that knows what they are talking about.

Myself I like to support small business whenever I can.

Larry

Aleks Hunter
12-05-2011, 6:39 AM
I'm partial to PC tools, have a couple of their routers and put a 7518 in the new router table and love it. Very smooth and very powerful. Five speeds and the soft start is a very nice touch after using a makita in a lighter table that let you know in no uncertain terms that it was powerful the instant you hit the switch. I find myself using the router table a LOT more now that it is massive with a smoother router. Its a bit heavy as a hand router but thats not an issue in a table.

Roger Bullock
12-05-2011, 6:56 AM
+1 on ordering from a tool company and your will appreciate one that has a soft start once you step up to larger dia. bits

Jim Foster
12-05-2011, 7:23 AM
Do both of the routers mentioned have a soft start? I have two PC's, small and big and the soft start on the big one is a great feature on several levels. Easier to use, and keeps the blood pressure from spiking when you turn it on.

Aleks Hunter
12-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Amen on the big bits. Inertia is a heck of a thing.

Kevin Presutti
12-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Jeff,

Ditto on the milwaukee. Plus if you log into Amazon from the creek you get an additional 10% I do believe.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5625-20-2-Horsepower-Variable-Adjustment/dp/B00007FPJK

John T Barker
12-05-2011, 12:10 PM
It doesn't have one. I will get one if its necessary. Is it? I've never in my life used a router in a table. There is just a plate there.
Just a thought to throw in. I worked in a shop where my boss had bought the biggest of everything he needed (whether he could handle it or not) and got the big PC...don't know the model number. Fine machine, like all PC tools, but so heavy it pulled the plastic plate down resulting in distorted cuts. The table including the plate was not flat. If your freebie has an iron plate, no worries, if it is plastic consider a smaller router. I've been in my own shop for quite some time using only 1-1/2 and 1-3/4 hp routers for all sorts of jobs. No problem (but then again I also own a shaper.) A router is a great tool and extremely versatile when used in a table. Even more so if you can run it overhand...overhead?...above the table. Ya know...pin router. I digress. I'd stick to a more moderate sized router than going so heavy duty.

John

Roger Chandler
12-05-2011, 12:21 PM
I have the PC 7518 mounted underneath my shop built router table with a lift from Jessem [masterlift] I have used it for raised panel doors for both kitchen and bathroom cabinets............it has the torque and power to get the job done and is versatile for making mouldings as well..........I have used it to make crown molding and everything from dado's to glue joints to raised panels...........a super router for the heaviest of work, and it has variable speed for the large bits!

I built a dust collection box, and this thing gets almost 100% of the dust and chips ............I have a dust port on my fence as well.

scott spencer
12-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah, those are the two ive read about the most. I'm just wondering which one is the best

"Best" is always subjective. The MW is a more updated design. Both are built like tanks and will chomp thru anything with ease. Whichever...if HD is going to order it, I'd just take matters into my own hands and order it myself for less.

Bill Huber
12-05-2011, 3:27 PM
I don't have a big router, I just have a Bosch 1617EV and it has done me very well. Lowes has the kit for $179 right now and for that price I don't think you could go wrong.

I just finished up 8 raised walnut panels with mine mounted in the table and had no problem at all. Now if I was going to do raised panels all day long that would be something different, but I don't so the 2 1/4 does a good job for me. You can get a Jessem left for $180 new and they are very good lefts.

So I guess it is all in what you need, if you need the HP then I like the MW....

Doug Colombo
12-05-2011, 8:32 PM
I don't have a big router, I just have a Bosch 1617EV and it has done me very well.
+1 to Bill's comments. I have the same set up (except I have a Woodpecker's lift) and it has worked great for me. I have done raised panel doors out of oak with no issues - performed well.

Jeff Mclaney
12-05-2011, 9:22 PM
I already have the 2hp Bosch router (1617 I think) to do light duty stuff. I want a beast to go under the table. I'll take you guys advice and just order it from amazon.

Jim Andrew
12-05-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm router poor. Have 2 pc's, but like Hitachi's better. They run much smoother. The big 3 1/4 hp I use to make raised panels, the PC's the frames, hitachis for other stuff. Right now have a 3/4" roundover blade in one, drawer fronts and tops, The other is planned to use with dovetailer. Hitachis have built-in speed controller. And the power stays up even at low speed.

Mike Heidrick
12-06-2011, 1:10 AM
I own a 5625 in a Woodpecker PRL V1. Awesome.

Jeff Mclaney
12-06-2011, 7:43 PM
Well, it's seems like either way I go I'm getting a pretty good machine. The Milwaukee has more listed HP but they both have the same amperage so I'm assuming its probably debatable which actually has more useable power. Im still sold on the porter cable though. It looks simple and strong. I've seen a lot more of them in cabinet shops than anything else