PDA

View Full Version : Shaker inspired workbench

Danny Bingham
04-23-2003, 10:44 AM
Here is a Shaker inspired workbench I completed about a year ago. It is made of cherry, with the legs/rails being poplar and the bench top being maple and ash. Following responses will give more details.

Danny Bingham
04-23-2003, 10:47 AM
Here is a picture of the end vise jaw. It is made of cherry and maple.

Danny Bingham
04-23-2003, 10:50 AM
Finally, here is a picture of the leg vise. THe jaw is made of maple, the leg is sycamore. This screw was my first turning project.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
04-23-2003, 11:13 AM
Danny,

I need to build a bench for the "New" shop. The old bench has little to no storage and I hate giving up that storage room. Also the vises and supports could be better. All those problems are addressed nicely by a Shaker Style bench like yours. That project is way down the priority list unfortunately!

Good Work!

John Schreiber
04-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Wow, that's got a lot in common with my dream bench. Some questions.

Do you have two tail vices out there on the right or have you done something clever with an end vice to make it look like two tail vices? Tell me more.

Do you keep it against the wall? Do you have access to the drawers from both sides?

Why did you choose the leg vice? It looks great and is traditional, but I've been thinking a regular iron face vice would be more practical.

Danny Bingham
04-23-2003, 12:15 PM
Hi John,

There are two end vises. I have attached a picture of the top to give you a better view.

I did have the bench against the wall, but it will sit in the open now in my new shop (when I get it built).

I chose a leg vise because I do a lot of jointing by hand. The leg vise and board jack work great for this purpose. Also, I didn't think I would use a face vise since I have the two end vises. My projects are rarely larger than an end table, so I have plenty of clamping room with the end vises.

Thanks,

Danny

GEDunton
04-23-2003, 8:11 PM
Danny, now you are on the hook! Anyone who puts that level of efffort into a "simple" item of shop furniture has to produce awesome household furnishings. So we will expect at least dialy postings of awe inspiring finished furniture. To quote some one, whom I don't recall, "Marvelous, simply Marvelous."

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
04-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Hi,

Excellent work, I love the wood screw detail and the double dove tails are perfect.

Take care.

Jim

Ken Wright
04-24-2003, 8:24 AM
Its good to see you posting your work here ... that's a beautiful bench. Of course the marquetry work on the sewing box is outstanding. You need to post the elk box and your tool box for the other folks to see.

For your first turning project .... couldn't you find something a little simplier than a wood screw?????? geeezzzzz!