PDA

View Full Version : 5913Z shaper

Ralph Butts
12-04-2011, 1:27 PM
I am looking into getting a shaper. I have spent the last couple of days reading through as many shaper threads as I could. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a Grizzly 5913Z 5HP shaper. I am not necessarily sold on this model but it seems like a lot of shaper for a reasonable price. Since I am not a production shop I would almost certainly purchase a used unit. I have been able to find quite a bit of information on the other machine I have been looking at the PM 27. So I am hoping that someone has some experience with the Grizz that will share it. Thanks

21 more shopping days to XMAS and I have been a very good boy this year.

J.R. Rutter
12-04-2011, 1:59 PM
I remember looking at this in their showroom. The construction is similar to a small euro shaper like a T40, with the spindle housing held in a rigid casting fixed to the table. Generally, this is a better arrangement that typical "lighter duty" shaper like a Delta or Powermatic. I can't comment on the Grizzly in particular, but if you have owned other Grizzly equipment that you pretty much know what to expect. (This doesn't mean anything good or bad, necessarily.) My personal bias has been to find late model used production grade tools, but if you want new, then this price and machine seems like a good combo...

David Kumm
12-04-2011, 2:01 PM
Ralph, I don't know the specific machine but the specs state the largest cutter that can be used is 5.75. That is a little small for a 5 hp shaper unless they are referring to the diameter that can be tilted under the table. Raised panel cutters tend to be 6" in 1.25 bore which is what you want with that size unit. If looking used, look at Minimax or scmi T110. Better machines and should be less than the $3k the grizzly goes for. There has been a T130 slider on ebay for $3800 that hasn't sold for several weeks so the used shaper market isn't real strong. The T130 is an industrial machine about three times as heavy as the grizzly for comparison. Smaller shapers tend to sell a little higher than the industrial 3 phase ones as there is more market for them. Runout is the key- or lack of same so you want the seller to measure that. The better the machine the stronger the quill assembly and the better the high speed bearings. Dave

joe milana
12-04-2011, 2:20 PM
Ralph, there is a T130 nps (slider) on CL in the Seattle area. Might be worth a look. I've seen the Grizzly at the showroom. The weakest point on their shapers in this range is the fence.

Stan Mitchell
12-04-2011, 5:08 PM
Don't forget to factor in the cost of a good power feeder - an absolute necessity for a shaper.

Peter Quinn
12-04-2011, 8:25 PM
I'd call Grizzly and ask what is the largest cutter the hood can accommodate. The specs on the Grizzly state the largest cuter diameter is 5 3/4". That's vague. If that is the largest cutter that fits in the hole in the table, not a problem. Most panel raisers (6" diameter is standard) are run from above anyway, and you can always run a bed board to over come the issue with a molding head or panel raiser. The PM 27 won't get you any better than that either, but the hood on a PM is much better than what I see in those pictures. If the hood is the limiting factor and the shaper really can't spin more than a 6" cutter than its a poor design and you should pass on that. Just too limiting for a 5HP machine. In that price range I'd consider stretching a bit further and looking at a PM 2700 if you are in the new market. The PM2700 is a real solid machine with lots of great features. I was set to buy one myself when a used minimax T-40 popped up locally for super cheap, so now I'm spinning that and love it. I'd seriously consider expanding your search to include three phase industrial stuff. I added the minimax (not industrial but but similarly built) for $900 because it was 3 phase and the guy couldn't give it away. He sold his other one, a single phase model, for nearly 3 times as much in a heart beat. I added a 3 phase convertor for around $900 soup to nuts, so $1800 and I'm still way ahead on a great little shaper with big power.

The PM27 is not my favorite shaper, but its a reasonably capable small shop machine with enough capacity to handle a very useful variety of tooling. When you look at how little metal is actually supporting the spindle assembly its a wonder they work as well as the do. Tough machines but I find them chattery when the cutters get a bit larger in the molding department. For cabinet doors and small rabbits they work fine, or even light pattern work.

Ralph Butts
12-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks to all for the advice and feedbacke. I has honestly not thought of going the three phase route. My target was definately in the used market and I was hoping to stay in the 2K range. I have some thinking to do right after I pay the contractor at my house to replace my ruptured hot water tank. :-(