PDA

View Full Version : Dye

David Dobbs
12-04-2011, 12:42 PM
What brand dye does everyone use?

Dave

Baxter Smith
12-04-2011, 1:12 PM
Transtint, though I have tried nothing else. It seemed to get good reviews and was available at Woodcraft when I stopped.

John Keeton
12-04-2011, 1:12 PM
David, not sure about everyone:), but I have used Transtint and like them. I have recently used Jacquard Procion MX dyes (powder water based), and like them quite a bit. The colors are more brilliant and they are promoted as light fast. I have some luthier dyes that are supposed to be very light fast, but I have not tried them. They are also water based and more expensive that most.

I also have some Arti toymaker dyes that I had prior to getting into woodturning, but I doubt the light fastness of those. They are less expensive and easy to use, however.

Richard Allen
12-04-2011, 1:33 PM
I use MX reactive dye. This is sold in a powder. 2oz is the smallest quantity I have seen the powder sold. The cost is $5 to $9 depending on the color. 2 oz of powder is enough dye to make gallons of dye. The powder can be miked with water oil or alcohol. I find the best penetration is with water. There are more than 50 colors available and you can mix dye to make your own color. Making custom colors while possible makes repeatability difficult. I use a capful of water with as much dye powder I can get with a round toothpick (very small quantity). That makes enough dye to color the outside of a 12" bowl.

Generally I "paint" with dye. Burn boarders and apply different color dyes to the areas defined by the burning. I apply the dye with an artist brush.

The reactive part of this dye is with cellulose. This is the most light fast of any dye I have used and I like to use bright vibrant colors.

Mixing dye with water is easy. If you add more dye the color will not change. The saturation of that color will change.

214714This is an example of the coloring I like to do.

There are pigmented stains which can be more lightfast than dye. I prefer dye because the grain of the wood clearly shows through the dye.

I have purchased MX dye from Prochemical.

Steve Schlumpf
12-04-2011, 2:26 PM
Used RIT powdered clothing dyes for a number of years but have since moved over to using TransTint because it is supposed to be light-fast - which the RIT are not.

John Altberg
12-04-2011, 2:54 PM
I have been using procion dyes from Dharma Trading Company mixed with water. They come in 2 oz. sizes and make lots of finished dye . I store the mixed dye in small plastic bottles. A little goes a long way!

Dan Christensen
12-04-2011, 5:16 PM
I just started using some dyes. I used the Artisan dyes from CSUSA and I like the ease of use (no mixing) and I liked the way my wood looked after the dyeing process.

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2011, 5:18 PM
I like the transtint dyes that mix with alcohol. Doesn't raise the grain.

Josh Bowman
12-04-2011, 5:43 PM
I use Rit.

Don Stephan
12-04-2011, 6:55 PM
Transtint and Transfast. Experiment first, and keep in mind that the color will look terrible after it dries, until after application of a first coat of sealer or finish.

Nate Davey
12-04-2011, 7:06 PM
Febings Oil Leather Dye thinned with DNA

Scott Hackler
12-04-2011, 8:41 PM
I bought a selection of the Artisian dyes from CraftSupplies and have been experimenting with them. So far, OK, but I am not sold on my application technique.

David Dobbs
12-08-2011, 5:32 PM
Wow thanks!!!!!! I was at Woodcrafters and Picked up some Transtint to try. What is the best application when using with DNA? Do i use it after the final sanding an touch it up as needed?

Thanks Again

Dave

Jim Burr
12-08-2011, 5:47 PM
I bought a selection of the Artisian dyes from CraftSupplies and have been experimenting with them. So far, OK, but I am not sold on my application technique.

Same, I use a paper towel Scott...seems to work well, but gloves are required!!