PDA

View Full Version : new carving

Mark Strom
12-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Just finished this piece in between other work. The intent was to see how much dimension could be achieved in minimal depth, in this case less than 1/8". I also wanted to create a three dimensional painting without the carving looking like it was painted. The material is basswood measuring 22" x 7".

The finish is also a radical departure from my norm. There are three different shades and types of stain used plus acrylics, watercolors, lacquer, shellac and waxes. I used a spray gun, airbrush, paint brushes and rags to achieve the look. It was not easy to avoid the shiny look and to avoid getting to "painterly". It was quite an experiment and one that did not turn out to rough. Hope you enjoy it.

Mark
www.stromcarver.com (http://www.stromcarver.com)

David Keller NC
12-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Wow! That's impressive, to say the least. If you can afford the time, please consider taking intermediate photos of the finishing schedule of your next piece that uses this technique, and writing a short article for the forum. A lot of us would be interested, I think.

Terry Beadle
12-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm with Mr. Keller on this. Really great work. Makes you want to pet a bunny.

Sir, you are an artist !

Brent VanFossen
12-05-2011, 2:14 AM
Very nice work.

Mark Strom
12-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Thank you all for the comments. The finishing is not complex or time consuming if everything is on hand. I have a dedicated finish area so it is easy for me.

For this carving I recessed the background and sprayed my stain and sealed with a 1 lb. cut of shellac. This keeps the stain from smearing and protects the finish as well. I then carved everything to completion at which point the coloring was done. Another coat of shellac to seal everything in and at this point any refinements or touch ups are done and then another coat of shellac followed by colored waxes. The sharp mix of shellac is the real secret in that it seals but does not create a shine and dries fast. Shellac is just a joy to work with.

Again thanks for the approval.

Mark

Jim Underwood
12-09-2011, 8:33 AM
Wow. Nice design, nice execution.