PDA

View Full Version : Snow Covered Sissoo

Scott Hackler
12-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Kathy Marshall, being the lovey person she is, sent me another chunk of Sissoo (Indian Rosewood) and this is the first of two HFs I turned from it. I just love this wood. It is so rich with character and color. I oriented the sapwood to cover the top and at first glance I thought it looked like a cupcake, but alas we'll call in "snow covered" instead! I am not 100% on the finial, because of the dark color might be too much of a contrast and that "it's not thin enough"!

This one is 4 1/4" wide x 8" tall, hollowed to about 1/8" thick with more on the bottom for ballast. Finished with BLO and WOP, buffed and Ren wax. African Blackwood finial.

Comments and critiques are always welcome, thanks.

Marty Eargle
12-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Kathy sent me a chunk of this recently, and this reaaaally makes me want to go down to my shop and mount it up. That is some good looking wood.

You really made the grain work great and I'm digging the finial...gives a new kind of elegance to the piece.

Baxter Smith
12-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Great wood, great form, great finial! I can see your point about the blackwood but it still looks great! Very nice Scott!

Doug W Swanson
12-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Another great one, Scott. I think the finial might be a little dark but it still works good.

I've also got a few pieces of Sissoo from Kathy that I'm waiting to dig in to.....

Scott Hackler
12-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Doug and Marty, I have turned a couple different pieces of Sissoo (all from Kathy) and this wood it VERY stable. I recommend turning to final thickness and sanding it to 400 at least before letting it air dry for at least a week, before any type of poly and such.

Kathy Marshall
12-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Wow! I really like this one Scott! The sapwood on top is a great touch, snow covered really fits! I think the form on the finial is just right and I like the contrast, a lighter finial would look good too but I think this one works.

Joe Watson
12-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Thats is some nice wood, every thing i seen posted here from it looks great specially when the turner orientates it "that ceron way" (this HF, K.Marshall's platter)... good stuff.

John Keeton
12-04-2011, 6:53 AM
Actually, I like the black, and the form is perfect! The finial seems very proportionate, and I don't think thinner would be better here.

Roger Chandler
12-04-2011, 7:04 AM
Nice form Scott...........you did good with the orientation of the sapwood..........great finial...........and great wood from Kathy!

James Combs
12-04-2011, 8:00 AM
Great looking piece Scott. Reminds me of chocolate pudding with whip cream.

Nate Davey
12-04-2011, 8:26 AM
That Sissoo is a beautiful piece of wood. Love the sapwood and the feather on the side. Nicely done, Scott.

Rick Markham
12-04-2011, 8:59 AM
This one is a definite keeper. I like it just the way it is, the dark finial stands out just enough, and the contrast of the sap wood really draws out the beautiful colors in sissoo. Wonderful form too!

Eric Gourieux
12-04-2011, 9:11 AM
Looks great just as it is

Donny Lawson
12-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Great looking piece. I love the sapwood look added in. To me, a two tone like that looks better than a solid color.

Alan Trout
12-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Scott,

That is a very nice piece. Good form and the finial blends well with the piece. Well Done.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Scott that is a beauty. I like the form and the finial I think is just fine. Not sure I would go thinner.

Don Alexander
12-04-2011, 10:53 AM
really nice HF and ironically i like the finial on this one (as stated before finials aren't exactly my thing :D ) and i agree with JK that thinner would not be better

David DeCristoforo
12-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Sweet! Totally works. The finial is perfect. I know you are fixated on "thin enough" but I don't think a thinner finial would work here. Personally, I like this one. It has substance but it is very graceful. It does kind of jump out at you but it complements the form well. I am able to shift my focus from one to the other but at the same time I can look at the whole and see a cohesive form. I think this is much better than you realize. One of the things I like about rosewood is that the transition from heart to sap is dramatic. You have exploited that very well here as a design element.

Scott Hackler
12-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. It is a strange thing to stare at our own work. I looked this one over and over couldn't decide if the black was too much for the white sap wood and if I made a mistake when I made a decision to not take the finial down to toothpick thickness. I guess my initial thoughts were correct and second guessing might had been the makings of a mistake. Thanks again.

charlie knighton
12-04-2011, 2:40 PM
very nice Scott

David DeCristoforo
12-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Not surprising. Selected by Kelly Dunn who is as tough a critic as I can imagine when it comes to hollow forms. Congrats, Scott...

Scott Hackler
12-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks David. I was very surprised especially since it was Kelly Dunn's day to pick. Shazam cover #2!! :)