PDA

View Full Version : fixing domino errors

James Baker SD
12-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Just learning to use a domino and making my share of mistakes. Question. If you place the mortise in the wrong place (reference the wrong side of the shelf when putting mortises in the side of a carcass) what is the best way to fix it? I used 5mm dominoes but even going up to 10mm (and referenced from the correct side) will not get the shelf exactly where I want it. I see two choices. My preference is the plug the mortises with glued dominoes, cut them off flush and then recut the mortise. This will cut some new wood, remove most of the plug, but leave a little of the plug. Will this be OK? Alternative is to move the mortise locations and cut them completely new. Rather not do that because I wanted a domino near each edge (front and back) of the shelf and this would move them in quite a ways. Both shelf and carcass sides are 18mm thick baltic birch ply. Thanks.

James

Thomas Hotchkin
12-03-2011, 11:48 PM
James
I have had good luck with plugging mortise with correct size domino and glue, cut off flush. Let the glue set for 20 minutes or less, and re-cut mortise. Tom

Mark Carlson
12-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Me too on what Tom suggests.

~mark

Matt Meiser
12-03-2011, 11:57 PM
That's what I've done too. Still need to do it on my bench top where I've accidentally plunged with the setting to deep. :eek:

NICK BARBOZA
12-04-2011, 8:51 AM
That's what I've done too. Still need to do it on my bench top where I've accidentally plunged with the setting to deep. :eek:

Been there, done that... It seems to work out pretty well and structure should be sufficient.

I've also used domino's for adjustable shelf 'pegs' too.