PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get David DeCristoforo out of a RUT!!!

Roger Chandler
12-03-2011, 9:19 PM
David just keeps "oooohing and aaaaahing" us creekers with all that rosewood he turns...........I mean it is beautiful and all.................but I think he is in a rut with western wood and South American exotics.........I mean a guy can only take so much of that stuff! :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Anyway, today I got into the wood pile a little, and cut up some blanks for David...........you know, something different for him...........EASTERN WOOD!!! ;)

From top left..........Mulberry [yellow] Ambrosia maple x2, and a super nice cherry burl. Top right - black walnut x 2, Bradford pear and Catalpa. They ship out early next week............

Have fun DD!!!

Paul Williams
12-03-2011, 9:31 PM
It is a fine thing that you do Roger. I am sure most of us were getting tired of David's exotic pieces.

David E Keller
12-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Nicely done, Roger! Lots of nice stuff there!

Reed Gray
12-04-2011, 2:30 AM
I did a show in Davis for some years, and talked to some tree people there who told me of taking down a bunch of 30 to 36 inch diameter mulberry trees.

Back east there means Las Vegas.

robo hippy

Rick Markham
12-04-2011, 5:55 AM
You know I have heard he turns in a tent, and eats Eastern Wood for breakfast!

John Keeton
12-04-2011, 6:41 AM
Good on you, Roger!! That sure is some nice looking wood, and nicely sawn, too! Look like it was milled with a Woodmizer!

Roger Chandler
12-04-2011, 6:54 AM
Good on you, Roger!! That sure is some nice looking wood, and nicely sawn, too! Look like it was milled with a Woodmizer!

that was milled on my 18" Jet bandsaw.........with a 3/4" by 3 tpi timberwolf blade.

David DeCristoforo
12-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Oh this is great. I have had a hard enough time explaining to my wife why "strange women" are sending me wood (Kathy M, Cathy S). Now I'm going to have to start trying to explain why "strange men" are sending me wood!

If you hadn't emailed me about this, I would have been quite taken aback. That's a lot of wood to be gifting. I'm not sure I will ever be able to reciprocate. That piece of cherry burl looks great! And the black walnut... well ever since I hosed that chunk of walnut Tony sent me, I have been feeling guilty. Maybe I'll actually get a real bowl turned! But I must say, I am disappointed it the lack of monkey pod, black limba, chak-te-kok or tambootie Don't you guys have any of that stuff back east"?

Tony De Masi
12-04-2011, 11:41 AM
David, I hope you aren't going to try another bowl.

Baxter Smith
12-04-2011, 12:09 PM
David, I hope you aren't going to try another bowl.
Heck, I was hoping he would!!
Its nice to be reminded he's human!;):D

Roger Chandler
12-04-2011, 1:00 PM
I'm not sure I will ever be able to reciprocate.

That piece of cherry burl looks great! And the black walnut... well ever since I hosed that chunk of walnut Tony sent me, I have been feeling guilty. Maybe I'll actually get a real bowl turned! But I must say, I am disappointed it the lack of monkey pod, black limba, chak-te-kok or tambootie Don't you guys have any of that stuff back east"?

Nary' a piece of monkey pod, black limba or say whaaaaaat? No we grow normal wood like oak, apple, walnut,cherry, etc! :D

No reciprocation necessary nor expected! :)

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2011, 5:37 PM
That was nice of you Roger. Ought to see some nice bowls showing up here on SMC shortly.:eek::D Right David.;)

David DeCristoforo
12-04-2011, 5:40 PM
Yeah... right... bowls... You hear that Tony? Sooner or later I am going to have to redeem myself. So there is at least one bowl in my future. I just hope it does not take more than one piece of wood to make it!

Mark Engel
12-04-2011, 6:13 PM
If the bowls don't work out, you should be able to get at least one pen out of the stack! :D

Roger Chandler
12-04-2011, 9:28 PM
Whatever David decides to make from these, I am sure will showcase his talent again............I just want to have a little part to play in one of his beauties...............

I mentioned to him that the yellow mulberry {in my opinion} would make a nice flower type form that would have a nice contrast with darker wood.................however, he is the "R-teeeest" and whatever he decides..........I trust his judgment and eye for form.............I think whatever he does will be special. Good luck David..........should be on its way sometime tomorrow!

David DeCristoforo
12-04-2011, 9:52 PM
A pen! Now there's an idea! I should be able to get at least one good pen out of that stuff....

Kathy Marshall
12-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Very nice gesture Roger! I'm sure David will turn some wonderful pieces from your stash, along with one bowl.....

Yeah... right... bowls... You hear that Tony? Sooner or later I am going to have to redeem myself. So there is at least one bowl in my future. I just hope it does not take more than one piece of wood to make it!
Now we just neet to hold him to it :D.

David DeCristoforo
12-04-2011, 10:10 PM
"Now we just neet to hold him to it..."

Well I actually did do a bowl and out of wood you sent to me BTW. Just because ya'll thought it looked like a spittoon doesn't mean it don't count.

Roger Chandler
12-04-2011, 10:48 PM
"Now we just neet to hold him to it..."

Well I actually did do a bowl and out of wood you sent to me BTW. Just because ya'll thought it looked like a spittoon doesn't mean it don't count.

I remember that thread David, ........it was funny! Pa-tew-eeee! :eek::D