PDA

View Full Version : Articulated Hollowing Laser

Greg Bender
12-03-2011, 9:18 PM
I built my own articulated hollower and saw the post awhile back about the laser and switch from Digikey and ordered it. Now I would like to ask if anybody who has built there own laser enhanced system ,what did you use for the arms that put the laser out to the cutting tool. I figure light weight and rigid but that leaves alot of choices. I have some UHMW for the junction blocks and some 6061 for the vertical support block. I just need the two arms and hope somebody has already done the elimination via trial and error.
Thanx,
Greg

Paul Williams
12-03-2011, 9:34 PM
I used 1/4 inch steel rod, but I think larger aluminum rod or even small diameter pipe might be more ridgid with a little less weight.

Harry Robinette
12-03-2011, 9:58 PM
If you have a mortiser to drill square holes use square 3/8 or 1/2" tubing and mount it on the diamond edge it way ridgier then round. The Monster uses this I believe.

Greg Bender
12-04-2011, 2:24 PM
Harry and Paul,
I had kind of settled on some type of tube or pipe myself, but mounting square tubing on the corner for the inherent stiffness was something I had not thought of. I do have a mortiser so that is no big deal. Although a mortiser in UHMW is new ground for me. I will look at the Monster site to check it out.
Thanx,
Greg

Thomas Canfield
12-04-2011, 7:44 PM
Weight wise, the thinwall EMT conduit is about as strong and ridgid as you will get. That will also allow you to drill round holes for the tubing, but you may need to ream or sand out the holes for the tubing depending on your drill selection. I used some 1/2" EMT and made wood holders using threaded inserts for the lock bolts and it has worked fairly well. Shellac the wood good to maintain a hard surface.