PDA

View Full Version : Well, my Christmas gift for myself will ship next week.

Bill Wyko
12-03-2011, 7:33 PM
I mentioned in another post I just acquired another JET VS1442 lathe. Since one will be at home and one at work, I'll be needing more turning tools too. Sooo it was the perfect excuse to order the new QR Glaser tools. This way I won't have to haul tools from shop to home. I currently only have one 15V which is a fantastic tool but now it's time to step it up. There's been a lot of talk about the new quick release system, lets see if they live up to their reputation.
Man I tellya, I look back to when I saw my first turning demo. I said to myself "This would be a good, cheap hobby." I really should have looked at everything else I do. It's never cheap because I always build, buy or trade to get or do the best I can. Why I thought turning would be any different is beyond me. It was really another excuse to get into the hobby. Oh well, I love it and I make a little money at it once in a while so what's the harm:D
I'm planning a turning with thousands of pieces, it'll be the tool test from hell. So Paulo, I'm gonna put your tools to the torture test, you ready?:eek:

David E Keller
12-03-2011, 8:25 PM
Congrats on the new toys! I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the system and looking forward to seeing the planned piece.

Jim Burr
12-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Should be worth a look! From a cost/benefit standpoint, I'm not sold on the Glaser stuff yet.

joel nucifore
12-04-2011, 5:37 AM
Can't wait to now what you have to say about them... Very close to pulling the trigger on the system.

Bill Wyko
12-05-2011, 4:33 PM
I'm one of those people that does a lot of reading and research before dropping this kind of money on anything. Everything I can tell so far about these tools, leads me to believe that Glaser has gone to great lengths and done a tremendous amount of research & development to create the finest turning tools made. This will only be evident once I put them to the test though. I can say, my 15V is an incredible tool. If the new tools are even close to the quality of the 15V, I've made an excellent investment.

Scott Hackler
12-05-2011, 7:47 PM
I kinda like the idea behind this new set (as a travel kit) but was put off a bit by the short handle and of course... ouch... the price. Let us know what you think about it.

Bill Wyko
12-06-2011, 3:10 PM
Actually when you divide it up, each tool is about $77.00 dollars. I paid more than that for each crown ProPM and several other non Pro PM tools with wood handles.
In my audio business I encounter cheap installations and cheap products all the time. Usually because I'm replacing the failed product or re-doing the awful installation. People come to my business because we're recognized as the best (7 installer of the year awards), not the cheapest. So my business philosophy has always been to charge a fair price for the quality I provide. The only Glaser tool I've used so far is my 15V but I can tell you, the effort Paulo and his team went to to make what they believe is the highest quality tool is unsurpassed. There is nothing I could suggest to him to improve on it. This tells me, at least based on the one tool I own, that his business philisophy and mine are along the same lines. I respect the fact that he charges the price he does because I know what it's like to be in a world of quantity VS quality.
Don't get me wrong though, I know there are plenty of very hi quality tools out there and many are less expensive. I just look at his particular method of tool making and I can't find anything I would change.....so far. When I get the new tools I'll be all about putting them to the test in as many ways as I can.
I can tell you, I'm curious to see the balance, the strength of the attachment to the handle, the tollerances of the fit and how long they hold an edge. While I consider Paulo a friend, I still have to be honest and up front on my review of his tools or anyones tools. It wouldn't be fair to our membership or to myself or to Paulo if I didn't review them with honesty. It's the only way he could address concerns of his customers. I'm looking forward to getting to work. I have a couple small projects to do next week so I should be able to use them right away.

Scott Hackler
12-06-2011, 3:31 PM
Oh I don't argue on cost when you divide it out (per tool), but for us tightwads... the "set" is a little harder to choke down (cost wise) for something that we may or may not either use or use the majority of the tools included. I think that Paulo or anyone else who develops a similar kit where the individual tool ends are rapid change and you can buy just the tools you want/need, could be sucessfull.

Bill Wyko
12-06-2011, 3:44 PM
I'll sugest that to him next time I talk to him. I agree, it would be a good idea to offer them so people could build their set. That may already be the case but I'll be sure he gets the message.

Bill Wyko
12-10-2011, 12:46 PM
I talked to Paulo yesterday, he likes the idea of offering tools in various quantities. I have to say, it's nice to work with a tool maker that you can actually talk to person to person. His excitement is inspiring too. The way we strive to do our finest every time we put a tool to the wood, he strives to give us an excellent tool to do so with.
I had to turn 4 table legs yesterday for a client from 6x6 square Hickory. The PITA was that the ends of the legs have to be square. This ment I had to start turning with a square blank. I started with a Crown Roughing gouge to find out it dulled fairly quick. I put my 15V to it and it was a power lawn mower to that Hickory. It mowed it round in no time and the vibration was substantially reduced. I had never turned Hickory before, nor have I used it for anything other than smoking ribs, chicken and pork butts:rolleyes::D. I had no idea that it was so hard. (Tastes good though) It's definitely not a wood I enjoy turning, the chips and sawdust are quite irritating to the skin. Oak has the same effect on me as well. I have one more leg to do this morning then as far as I'm concerned, Hickory will be reserved for the smoker. :)

Jim Burr
12-10-2011, 5:04 PM
And you're worried because!!?? If anyone has seen one of your humidor's there would be no doubt. You, I am sure, pulled it off in magnificent fashion!