PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster sandpaper problem

Dave Cav
12-03-2011, 6:28 PM
I picked up an older 24" Woodmaster drum sander last summer and it seems to have a lot of promise in reducing my time spent sanding, but I'm having a problem with the paper. Just about every time I load a new strip of sandpaper on the drum, the first time I run a board through it the paper wrinkles and sometimes tears. Any tips on getting it tight the first time around? This is getting expensive.

Thanks

Mike Heidrick
12-03-2011, 6:30 PM
Can you install hook and loop backing and paper? Straping Tape the edges as well?

Chris Rosenberger
12-03-2011, 6:44 PM
I used Woodmaster 37" sanders for over 19 years. I only had that happen a couple of times.
When you install the paper you need to pull it tight as you wrap it around the drum.
I used one hand to hold & turn the drum & the other hand to pull & wrap the paper.

Dave Cav
12-03-2011, 6:53 PM
Can you install hook and loop backing and paper? Straping Tape the edges as well?

Already using H&L, and the leading end has strapping tape. I think I'm having trouble getting it on tight enough.

Bruce Page
12-03-2011, 8:26 PM
Dave, I pull it as tight as I can while turning the drum. I sometimes unwrap and retighten if needed. I tape both ends.

Dave Cav
12-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Dave, I pull it as tight as I can while turning the drum. I sometimes unwrap and retighten if needed. I tape both ends.

Thanks; I think that's what I need to do.