PDA

View Full Version : 10 Rounds with Tyson

Ken Hill
12-03-2011, 6:26 PM
Well, thats what I feel like after working on Hickory blanks all day! Mr. Keeton, your chunk of wood is in there, its a bit bigger then what is pictured. As soon as the AS dries I will get it on its way. I managed to get 1 rough out done before calling it a day. That big chunk of Cherry in the back ground needs to find its way on a much bigger lathe and be cored so hopefully in the next month or so I can hook up with that RANT..or RAMP or what ever they call themselves crew and get this sucker done:D

charlie knighton
12-03-2011, 7:27 PM
Ken, nice job, i guess John gets round 11 & 12

Ken Hill
12-03-2011, 7:34 PM
I cant wait to see what he turns from it. Most of the beating I took was from my own stupidity. I sharpened my tool and went to work on roughing and it seemd like I was getting nowhere. The log was winter cut last year and I was thinking that this stuff was like concrete as I sharpened a few more times. I finally realized someone had swiped the clamp I use to hold down my grinder and it had moved so I wasnt getting and edge worth a hoot! Once I found that issue it was back to big curls but my shoulders had paid the price! My bandsaw is in "no worky" condition, so I had to use the chainsaw so I was already tired going into this fight!

Ken Hill
12-03-2011, 7:57 PM
Hey, I had most of the letters right:p

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Ken that is a slew of roughing especially hickory.

Baxter Smith
12-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Nice assortment of hickory Ken! Green is the easiest way to go on some things. I imagine hickory is one of them.

Ken Hill
12-03-2011, 11:43 PM
They cut fine after I attacked them with a sharp tool haha! I actually like cutting and turning hickory, makes me hungry! I have almost sold every bowl I made for this holiday season and probably could have sold more. Im going to try and build up more for next season I reckon. I really need to get some $$$ together for a bigger lathe, the Delta is great, but as soon as I sell a bowl they ask if I can turn them one bigger. Maybe come tax time.....

David E Keller
12-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Looks like a nice stash! Good on you for sharing with JK, too!

Ken Hill
12-04-2011, 12:26 AM
David, I wish I could share more wood, I have more then enough to go around, I just cant afford to ship it! I was leary last year because of the new anchor seal (the green stuff). It, IMO, doesnt hold a candle to the original and I was worried someone would end up with a piece that was not worth saving if I did ship it.

Joe Watson
12-04-2011, 1:03 AM
Sounds like you had some fun.
I could not image having all the wood you have at your finger tips - lucky man you are.

John Keeton
12-04-2011, 6:47 AM
Ken, you got me all excited! Keep in mind - the stuff I turn is pretty small. Most of it is less than 6" wide, so save the big stuff for those folks wanting those big bowls.

Ken Hill
12-04-2011, 8:56 AM
Yep, I plan to cut the big blank down, but I wanted to get you as much heartwood as possible!