PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Box Edge Treatment

Mike Goetzke
12-03-2011, 5:23 PM
I have my 12 kitchen drawers assembled. The boxes are 5/8" white ash. What is usually done to the sharp edger around the top perimeter? Break edge? Radius (what size)?

Thanks,

Mike

Jamie Buxton
12-03-2011, 5:42 PM
You can just break the edges with sandpaper. All you really need to do is make the edge so it doesn't feel sharp to your finger. It is quite quick.

If you attempt to use a router round over the edges on the assembled box, two not-so-good things can happen. One is that it is difficult to balance the router on the top of the box sides, and that's what you'll need to do to get the inside edges of the sides. The other is that the router can't go all the way into each inside corner, so you're going to have to use sandpaper or a knife in there anyhow.

scott vroom
12-03-2011, 5:47 PM
Hi Mike,

I use a 1/16" radius roundover bit for my drawer boxes prior to assembly. Since your drawers are already assembled you can either use a roundover bit on the outside edge and hand sand the inside edge, or just hand sand both inside and outside edges.

Mike Goetzke
12-03-2011, 6:04 PM
Hi Mike,

I use a 1/16" radius roundover bit for my drawer boxes prior to assembly. Since your drawers are already assembled you can either use a roundover bit on the outside edge and hand sand the inside edge, or just hand sand both inside and outside edges.

I used 1/2 blind DT's on the boxes. I was thinking of rounding before assembly but then wouldn't the radius create a void at the overlap of the joints?

Thanks

scott vroom
12-03-2011, 6:14 PM
With a 1/16" radius the void is small and in my opinion not an issue. If you're concerned then just hit the edge with hand held sandpaper....doesn't take much to break the sharp edge.

Mike Goetzke
12-03-2011, 6:27 PM
I tried a couple examples and both look good.

Thanks for the help.

Terry Beadle
12-04-2011, 10:55 AM
I'd use a block plane. Very quick and very controllable.

john lampros
12-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Why risk tear out with the router on an already assembled box? and you'll still have to deal with the corners. the block plane comes up short 2 inches too and risks banging up the faces on the inside edge. I'd go with 220. by the time you read all these you could have been done. More importantly, how are you finishing the insides?

Steve Jenkins
12-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I make all my drawers 9/16 thick and use a 5/16 round over bit after they are assembled. I rout inside and outside to bullnose the top edge. With a little practice it's not hard to balance the router on the edge. Then I hit it with an orbital sander.

Howard Acheson
12-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I round them over slightly if they are solid wood. For high ply plywood, I "break" the edges with 220 sandpaper.