PDA

View Full Version : 10/2 to 4 prong 220

Kyle Evans
12-03-2011, 4:55 PM
hello all,

Im putting a longer cord on my PM 2000, and my ignorance in electric work is showing. I went to HD and bought some 10/2 wire with a 4 prong plug. The electric guy out there said it would work fine. I am now attepting to wire it, and realized I have no idea where to put what wire... Any help would be appreciated.

Kyle Evans

David Kumm
12-03-2011, 5:36 PM
Single or three phase? If single and you don't need a neutral you will have an extra prong. Dave

Doug Herzberg
12-03-2011, 5:50 PM
A four prong outlet has two "hot" 120v lines, one neutral and one ground. On the other end, at the machine, the ground is directly grounded to the machine and one or both of the hot wires go to the switch box. You can just copy what's already there. Ground wire is almost always green in stranded cable and bare copper in the circuit from the breaker to the outlet. You can use a tester or voltmeter to confirm which terminals are hot. Assume you got 10/2 stranded with ground for your power cord.

Just Google 4 prong 240v wiring to get a diagram. Or go back to HD and ask the guy to show you.

Assuming this is single phase.

Peter Quinn
12-03-2011, 6:08 PM
Why are you using a 4 prong 220 plug on a TS? Do you have a 4 slot receptical to plug in to? Unless you are doing something like using an existing dryer circuit I'd just return the plug and get the correct one. The one redeeming fact of the HD is their liberal return policy.

Joe Angrisani
12-03-2011, 6:33 PM
Why are you using a 4 prong 220 plug on a TS? Do you have a 4 slot receptical to plug in to? Unless you are doing something like using an existing dryer circuit I'd just return the plug and get the correct one. The one redeeming fact of the HD is their liberal return policy.

Ditto. . . . .

Joe Angrisani
12-03-2011, 6:36 PM
....I went to HD and bought some 10/2 wire with a 4 prong plug.....

And just to be sure: They gave you wire with "braided" conductors, not solid conductors, right?

Rollie Meyers
12-03-2011, 8:01 PM
10/2 w/ ground is Romex it is not a flex cord, a flex cord includes all conductors in the sheathing so a 10/2 will have 2 conductors (normally 1 black, & 1 white), & a 10/3, 1 black, 1 white, & 1 green.

Bruce Wrenn
12-03-2011, 8:44 PM
Because your white will now be a hot, you need to wrap a piece of electric tape around it on each end. It can be any color EXCEPT green. In your four prong plug, you will have a ground (usually a green screw,) a neutral (lighter colored screw,) and two hots (darker colored screw.) Hook your bare ground to ground screw, and hot (black, and tape identified white to the two darker screws. FYI, Romex isn't labeled or approved for use as a drop cord. You can buy 10 gauge drop cords, and replace the ends.

Kevin Presutti
12-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Isn't 10/3 w/Ground ..... 1 Black, 1 White, 1 Red, and 1 Green or am I forgetting something?

We are referring to SOJW cord aren't we?

John Lanciani
12-04-2011, 8:03 AM
Isn't 10/3 w/Ground ..... 1 Black, 1 White, 1 Red, and 1 Green or am I forgetting something?

We are referring to SOJW cord aren't we?

No. 10/2 SO will have only black and white, 10/3 S0 will have black, white, and green. 10/4 will have those + red. Flex cord (S, SO, SJO,etc) does not include a grounding conductor by default, it must be specified. Non metallic cable (NM-B aka Romex) always includes a grounding conductor and it is not represented in the description - 12-2, 12-3, etc. it is implied. Additionally, it is never permitted to use NM in place of flex cord.

david brum
12-04-2011, 10:52 AM
According to Powermatic's owner's manual for your saw, you would only need four prongs if you have a 3 phase saw. You would most likely know if you had three phase, so assuming that you have a single phase saw, there are only three wires coming out of the saw. There is black (hot) white (hot) and green (ground). You should be able to hook your new cord to the old terminals using the same colors for the new cord.

In my experience, it is cheaper to buy an extension cord and lop off the ends, than to buy wire by the foot. A 10g extension cord won't be cheap, but it's a good source of the right kind of wire. My 220v tools all use L620 plugs because it's what my first 220v tool called for. They are super easy to wire in. The terminals are labeled for wire color. http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Electrical-Outlets-Plugs-Plugs-Connectors/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbodr/R-100576039/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Peter Quinn
12-04-2011, 4:07 PM
According to Powermatic's owner's manual for your saw, you would only need four prongs if you have a 3 phase saw. You would most likely know if you had three phase, so assuming that you have a single phase saw, there are only three wires coming out of the saw. There is black (hot) white (hot) and green (ground). You should be able to hook your new cord to the old terminals using the same colors for the new cord. In my experience, it is cheaper to buy an extension cord and lop off the ends, than to buy wire by the foot. A 10g extension cord won't be cheap, but it's a good source of the right kind of wire. My 220v tools all use L620 plugs because it's what my first 220v tool called for. They are super easy to wire in. The terminals are labeled for wire color. http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Electrical-Outlets-Plugs-Plugs-Connectors/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbodr/R-100576039/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053Ditto. My whole shop uses three plug twist locks in the appropriate amperage. Except the 3 phase shaper, which has a four prong twist lock. The right plug keeps you from plugging anything into the wrong receptical too.

Dan Rude
12-05-2011, 12:20 AM
If your still looking for that power cord, Menards is advertising a 20' 50 Amp 8/3 welder cord this week for $50.