PDA

View Full Version : Disston key hole saw

Mark Baldwin III
12-03-2011, 3:56 PM
I found a Disston key hole saw today. I can say it's seen better days, but it is still very neat. I grabbed it from a basket of random tools when I saw the handle, which has the nicest feel of anything I've seen while out rust hunting. It has split nuts, well one of them anyway. I should be able to straighten the blade with no issues. Any idea of the age of such a saw? Does it have any value? (even it this condition)

David Posey
12-03-2011, 6:27 PM
Sometimes with these all it takes to straighten the blade is to bend it as far as it will go in one direction and then do the same in the other direction.

That's a lovely handle for a keyhole saw. All the one's I've seen have looked (and been) fairly uncomfortable. The blister on my right hand proves it.

Mark Baldwin III
12-03-2011, 8:33 PM
That's a lovely handle for a keyhole saw. All the one's I've seen have looked (and been) fairly uncomfortable. The blister on my right hand proves it.
The handle is very comfortable, for my hands anyway. The size and shape would be great for a dovetail saw. I may decide to sell this one, since I have no need for it. Before I do that, though, I'll be making a pattern of that handle!
A little more checking makes me believe this saw is pre-1875. According to the Disstonian Institute, Disston stopped use of the split nuts that year.