PDA

View Full Version : Problem drilling peppermill

Joe McMahon
12-03-2011, 3:00 PM
I bought a new Colt 1 1/16" forstner bit to drill peppermills. I feed slowly at aboult 1/32, wait, 1/32", wait.... I pull the bit out to clear shavings about every 1/4". I have done 2 mills, one hard maple and one walnut. I am now doing a cherry one. The bit is discolored (dark) and it feels as if I have to put a lot of pressure on the crank to get it to feed.What am I doing worng or what else is wrong?Thanks, Joe

David E Keller
12-03-2011, 3:16 PM
Sounds like the bit is dull... You might try to hone the outer edge of the bit. I might also eliminate the pause between advancing and removing... That still allows the friction from the walls of the mill to create heat.

Doug Herzberg
12-03-2011, 3:26 PM
+1 on dull bit. Did you slow down the drill press/lathe? 1-1/6" is quite a lot on end grain hardwood. I wouldn't expect to have to clear every 1/4", maybe three or four times for the entire blank.

Harvey M. Taylor
12-03-2011, 3:34 PM
Probably a silly question. but, if it is a fairly new colt bit, are you sure your lathe is not in reverse??? I bought the same bit with extension and have drilled out maybe 25 12 and 14 in. mills. otherwise, I don't have a clue. Max

Brian Brown
12-03-2011, 5:00 PM
My first thought was lathe in reverse. but only because that is the type of thing that I would do. * You are drilling into the end grain of some very hard woods, so it is a lot of work for the drill bits, and they heat up and dull quickly. *If there is any moisture in the wood, (there will be some even in dry wood), when the water heats, it expands and the wood with it, clamping down on the bit. *The metal also expands making the bit larger. *Wood clamping down and metal pushing back = huge friction, and more heat, more expansion etc. *Wash rinse repeat. *I cut down on the friction of boring by making a first hole with a smaller bit say 1/2 inch. *Then a larger bit like 3/4. *The third cut may be with a 1", then the last cut is removing only 1/16 inch from each side, creating much less heat, and making a very clean cut. *I thought it would take a lot of time to do this, but it is sometimes it is faster than one bit moving very slowly into all that wood. *Much less smoke too. *Good luck!

Joe McMahon
12-03-2011, 5:05 PM
No, the lathe is turning forward.

Jim Burr
12-03-2011, 5:24 PM
Remember to bore from both sides. This help minimize the bit deflection and there is a lack of resin build up on the "clean" side reducing built up and over heating. It's still going to happen...get used to about 3 mills per bit. Also, go very slow!!

Dan Forman
12-03-2011, 5:25 PM
How many RPM's when you are drilling? My chart says about 250 RPM for that size bit. A Colt MaxiCut should work quite easily.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2011, 7:01 PM
I have a the same colt bit and run my lathe at 250 rpm. I think I have did around 10 to 12 of the 10" mills and it is still cutting good. I drill from one end half way and then reverse to finish drilling the other half. Can't think of anything other than to much speed or a dull bit.

Joe McMahon
12-03-2011, 7:10 PM
I hold the blank cylinder in a Nova chuck. If I bore from both sides, how would I hold it? Doesn't it leave chuck marks on the cylinder?

Joe McMahon
12-03-2011, 7:11 PM
I have a Delta Midi Lathe and have it on the slowest speed.

Sid Matheny
12-03-2011, 9:22 PM
Well I have the same bit with extension and have drilled out several PM's with it without any problem. I drill using the Colt 1 1/16" at 1200 RPM's and go 3/4 to 1" before backing it out. If this a new bit I think you need to return it for a replacement. Something is wrong with it.

Sid

Jim Burr
12-03-2011, 10:33 PM
I hold the blank cylinder in a Nova chuck. If I bore from both sides, how would I hold it? Doesn't it leave chuck marks on the cylinder?
You should have a tenon on one end and a 1 5/8" hole I think it is on the bottom. You can jamb chuck it or just switch chucks/jaws to your pin jaws and now it's held from the opposite of the tenon side.

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2011, 10:50 PM
I use jam chuck when I reverse it like Jim mentioned. Pin jaws will work also.

Joe McMahon
12-03-2011, 11:50 PM
"jam chuck"?? OK I guess I have to find out what a jam chuck is.

Thanks for the replies.

wes murphy
12-05-2011, 6:54 PM
I've several cherry pepper mills and every one smoked, some quite alot, and blackened my bits and even the first several inches on my extension. I have no idea how to get the residue off the bits, but it hasn't hurt and the bits still cut fine.

Joe McMahon
12-05-2011, 9:33 PM
Mine darkened doing a walnut blank. I also did a maple and finally, a cherry.

Sid Matheny
12-05-2011, 9:57 PM
A little discoloration is understandable but mine never gets near as hot as a normal forstner bit does. If anything you may be feeding it too slow. I crank mine in fairly fast.

Sid