PDA

View Full Version : A little table work

steven c newman
12-03-2011, 2:17 PM
214654214655214656working on a little table. The wood came from a couple old rafters. That top was about 13-1/2" wide 4/4 board. I narrowed it down to fit in my planer. Once I got some assembly done, it was time to refine things a bit. A "Hi-Tech Mitersaw", a Hi-Tech smoother. Just playing around with old wood...:)

PS: like my lil'helper at the saw station? :D

steven c newman
12-04-2011, 12:26 PM
still just playing around, working on smoothing the top, next.....214711214712

Harlan Barnhart
12-04-2011, 4:23 PM
Hi Steve, I like the grain in the table top. Wood is so interesting, there is always something new. Are those dark patterns due to aging or were they part of the grain from the beginning. Either way it looks cool. How are the breadboards fastened at the ends of the tabletop? Are they glued the whole way or are they floating? I like the bead molding around the bottom of the stretchers. Is it notched around the legs?
Peace,
Harlan B

steven c newman
12-05-2011, 3:09 PM
Dark patterns in the top are worm holes. In the bread board edge, it is caused by old nails, same with the legs. Some are still in there, the nails, not the worms. Afraid I glued the whole edge in place. Bead molding is notched to go around the legs, with mitered corners. Wood for the top came from a single piece of flat sawn oak, about 13-1/2" wide. Picked it up from an old garage tear down. I still have a second plank from this board to use, sometime....