PDA

View Full Version : powermatic tailstock tight

Don Nurmela
12-03-2011, 1:01 PM
The tailstock handle on my powermatic 3520B is tight. The handwheel is very difficult to turn. I have adjusted the little setscrew that is near the front of the tailstock, but no help. The locking nut is free and I am not sure what else to try. Do I need to take it apart and clean it?, lube of some sort?
Help!

Doug Herzberg
12-03-2011, 1:56 PM
Do I need to take it apart and clean it?, lube of some sort?
Help!

Don, I could swear I just saw a thread on this subject within the past two weeks. There was a discussion of cleaning and what sort of lube to use. Might try a search without the model number and see what pops up. Here's the one I remember: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?176587-3-of-a-Kind

Dan Henry
12-03-2011, 9:19 PM
Try taking it apart and clean the threads and lub it with light machine like 3 in 1 oil. Just extend the quill until it wont extend any father and the it should pull out towards the head stock, put back in and push the it up to the shaft and crank it back in.

Dan

dan carter
12-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Does the tailstock quill slide easily when the lead screw is totally disengaged? There are three issues: the quill sliding in the cast iron housing, the lead screw going into the quill, and the set screw that slides in the quill and keeps it from rotating. Try to isolate which one is the issue. It may be a combo of all three. If the set screw has cut grooves in the keyway, you can file the keyway to smooth it out and get rid of again. If the housing is dirty and the quill does not slide easily, wrap a piece of sandpaper around a dowel and clean the grime out of the cast iron housing and then relube it. Finally, if the threads have been worn from the tailstock being used as a drill, you may need to replace it and the quill. I've been told PR2000 works well for the lube part. I used to drill alot, but after doing everything listed above, except the PR2000, my 3520B is working pretty well now.

Jason Silva
12-04-2011, 11:12 AM
I recently bent my quill....no idea how i did it but i did. I took it apart, rolled the quill on my table saw and saw that it was slightly bent. Ordered a new quill for $45 and its good as new.

Steve Schlumpf
12-04-2011, 4:55 PM
Well, I figure that the tailstock is just gummed up from use and a good mineral spirits bath should take care of the problem. I have cleaned mine a few times but have used wax instead of oil as a lube. Works for me...