PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Dog

Mike Henderson
12-03-2011, 10:52 AM
When Judy and I married last year, she brought Jonas, her dog, into the marriage. Jonas quickly became a shop dog, keeping me company while I worked in the shop. But Jonas was older and developed cancer - we had to put him down recently.

So yesterday, we went to the pound and adopted a new "shop dog", black, seven years old and well adjusted (so far). Hopefully, he'll pick up woodworking quickly.

Mike

More pictures here

214640 (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/BlackDog.htm)

Paul McGaha
12-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Congratulations Mike and Judy on your new dog.

He's a good looking boy.

PHM

Gordon Eyre
12-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Fine looking little boy Mike. Congrats to you and your bride.

Joe Angrisani
12-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Good lookin' boy, Mike. Looks more like seven months than seven years. :)

Scott T Smith
12-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Mike, looks like you made a great "save"! You ought to give him a good, woodworking name, like Krenov or Roubo or something...

Bruce Page
12-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Congrats Mike, on both counts!

Michael Weber
12-03-2011, 12:55 PM
My thinking as well. Must have been an exceptionally talented photographer to make it look so young. I could use their services.:(

Phil Thien
12-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Pretty adorable.

Have you picked a name yet?

Mike Henderson
12-03-2011, 1:11 PM
I think so, too. He was a surrender dog so they got the age from the previous owners. Could be wrong but it was good for us because adoption fees are waived for dogs over 5 years (you still have to pay for worming, flea treatment, rabies, and license). We're going to take him to our doc and see what he says about age. He has LOTS of energy and really likes long, fast walks. In the back yard, he runs around like a crazy dog, then suddenly, he's at the door like, "That's enough. Time to go in."

No name yet but his previous name was "Scooter". Probably won't keep that name but he does respond to it. We're working to get him and the cat to coexist.

Mike

Rich Engelhardt
12-03-2011, 2:39 PM
Pound dogs are the best!
We have a pair of them - "cell mates" my wife and I couldn't stand to see parted. They were the two on death row. It was either us or the grim reaper.

As we found out, pound dogs are as old or as young, or will be as big or as small as you ask for ;).
Our previous dogs were a German Shepherd and a Great Dane. My wife told the pound people she want a "big" dog.
They assured her both *pups* would grow up to be larger dogs.

LOL!
We found out later the little peanut dog quit growing about the time she hit 5 years old :D.

Good luck w/you new rescue!
Neither of ours like the noise of the tools & sit and shake whenever one is running. They steer well clear of the garage when I'm in there.

Mike Henderson
12-03-2011, 3:29 PM
We decided to name him "Skipper" because he looks like he has some schipperke in him.

Mike

Jim Koepke
12-03-2011, 4:01 PM
Glad you found a friend to keep you company in the shop.

My friend Jessie left us over a year ago. He liked to keep me company in the shop.

jtk

Larry Edgerton
12-03-2011, 4:47 PM
I'd love to have a shop dog.

Problem is I am a bit of a jumpy sort. I've cut the same finger off twice when people startled me at the wrong time. So you see my problem, dog barks when I am way off into something...................

Cool if you can do it, but I'm not taking a chance.

Congrats!

Larry

Sean Troy
12-03-2011, 6:38 PM
Nice pick!! Should be years of love ahead for you.

Paul McGaha
12-03-2011, 6:44 PM
Our dog, a black lab named Mandy, dosent like the noise of the shop.

My wife comes out and takes a coffee break with me sometimes, Mandy likes that, but not when a tool is running.

PHM

Greg Peterson
12-03-2011, 8:25 PM
Congrats Mike. I thought I detected a little schipperke in him too.

I don't know who enjoys our walks more, our Brandy or me. If you say "Go for a walk" even by accident, the dye is cast and you will be taking her for a walk. Same holds true if you say R-I-D-E.

Jim O'Dell
12-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Good move to save one. Many people don't know that if an owner surrenders a dog, they can legally take the dog from the front counter to the back counter and put it down immediately. So it's good when people take one that might not have any time for adoption. Jim.

anthony wall
12-04-2011, 12:05 AM
my little shi tsu loves to be in the shop with me and she doesn't mind the machines at all the only problem is she lies where all the shavings land and she has long soft fur so when we go back into the house we have to follow her with the vac

Mike Henderson
12-04-2011, 12:37 PM
I was thinking this morning while walking Skipper. People buy expensive exercise machines, such as treadmills and steppers, to get some exercise (and it's boring to use those machines). All they need to do is get a dog. Not only will they get exercise, they'll get unconditional love and devotion. Dogs are all in, or all out. No in between.

And if you're a guy, they're chick magnets. When was the last time some gal stopped to talk to you when you were on a treadmill?

Mike

Curt Harms
12-05-2011, 8:41 AM
Good move to save one. Many people don't know that if an owner surrenders a dog, they can legally take the dog from the front counter to the back counter and put it down immediately. So it's good when people take one that might not have any time for adoption. Jim.

Sometimes shelters simply don't have room to keep animals for too long. My girlfriend Daisy Mae -- Maine Coon cat that looks like a cat, acts like a dog -- found herself in shelter that only had room to keep animals for a limited time. There is a rescue organization in central PA., Castaway Critters, that has connections with various shelters. Castaway Critters is able to place long haired animals easily so they found out about this Maine Coon in West Virginia. She made here way from near Wheeling W.V. to Hershey, PA. and debuted on Petfinder. Now she's a shop cat not in the least intimidated by noisy machines. There should be a special places in heaven for people who donate time & treasure to do animal rescue work.