PDA

View Full Version : Spaceballs in 3/8 grooves

kenneth fleming
12-03-2011, 9:24 AM
Has anyone had any issues using .26 spaceballs in 3/8 deep groves ? If leaving the recommended 5/32 that leaves the panel in 7/32...any splitting of the back side of the grove and especially if the panel goes in a little tighter (say 1/8 gap instead of 5/32 ?)....I'm using them for the first time in a panel bar front that cannot be fixed easily if something was to fail. The panels are only 8 inches wide each, so no issues with too much movement. I'm using Freeborn cutters and their standard is 3/8 grove, and really do not want to go deeper just for the spaceballs....appreciate any feedback ....

thanks
Ken

John A langley
12-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Kenneth. Freeborn will swap their 3/8 deep cutter for a 1/2 one at the time of purchase. Ballew Tool in Springfield, Missouri is where I get my cutters. Second, I use a panel insert that I buy that is rectangle. They are a lot cheaper than space balls and I personally think they work better. Now for your problem: if you like, I will send you a handful. You can cut them down with a utility knife. Just send me an email. The only places I know to buy them, I have to buy them 10,000 at a time. That might be too much for you. They are about half the cost of space balls

J.R. Rutter
12-03-2011, 12:33 PM
If the panels are only 8" wide, then there should not be a problem. Do not try to overcompress them. I stopped using space balls in production because they bleed an oily residue if overcompressed and can definitely split out the back of the groove.

Richard Wolf
12-03-2011, 4:31 PM
[QUOTE=J.R. Rutter; I stopped using space balls in production because they bleed an oily residue if overcompressed and can definitely split out the back of the groove.[/QUOTE]

So J.R., what do you use in your doors? Different brand, or different material?

J.R. Rutter
12-03-2011, 5:45 PM
http://www.atlanticgasket.com/cabinet-bumpers/door-spacers.html

Richard Wolf
12-03-2011, 8:00 PM
Thanks J.R., The minimums are a little high for most of us not in the door business, do these look like the same product?
http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/Panalign-Strips/products/442/

T (http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/Panalign-Strips/products/442/)hanks

John A langley
12-03-2011, 9:37 PM
J R & Richard look Panel Buddies. Com 12.00 pr thousand 10000 pr bag

Tom Gerken
12-03-2011, 9:59 PM
I needed some in a pinch and just used old ear protection plugs. Seem to work OK, cut to fit the groove of course. Time will tell if they hold up.

Best part is they come pre waxed

Yuk!!!!

Kevin Presutti
12-03-2011, 9:59 PM
Kenneth,
Here's a link they have alot of amall stuff you don't find in the box stores and yes they have Space Balls.

http://www.widgetco.com/

J.R. Rutter
12-04-2011, 11:47 AM
J R & Richard look Panel Buddies. Com 12.00 pr thousand 10000 pr bag

Ordered samples, thanks. The inserter looks interesting, too, but only a little faster than doing it by hand.

John A langley
12-04-2011, 2:36 PM
JR. Yes, I've seen the inserter work. Stuffing those little suckers in by hand is boring. But the inserter is way out of my league, don't do enough doors. Hope it works out for you.

J.R. Rutter
12-04-2011, 5:40 PM
Stuffing those little suckers in by hand is boring.

Yeah, I try to avoid doing that job these days...

kenneth fleming
12-12-2011, 1:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the great feedback...I did not use the spaceballs as glueing up the front panel of the bar was trying enough and I did not need the space balls putting any added pressure on the panels....I ended up pinning them top and bottom in this case....I did also speak with Freeborn and they did verify about swapping out the cutters or if the existing set has not been shapened or only shapened once, I could purchase the deeper groovers and still have the cutters match up....
I included a pic of the panels in the bar without the top (still being completed)....again, thanks everyone for the support...much appreciated..
Ken