PDA

View Full Version : What do you use as a smock (if anything) ?

Joe Watson
12-03-2011, 1:18 AM
Was buying a face shield and respiratory off amazon and the thought of a smock popped in my head.
Amazon has "dental" smocks (white, short sleeve, front zip) which seam like they would do the job, but thought i would ask what other people use.

_

Sid Matheny
12-03-2011, 1:52 AM
I use the Sorby smock like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Sorby-9011L-Woodturners-Smock/dp/B004I471P6

Sid

Josh Bowman
12-03-2011, 3:49 AM
In the summer I use a short sleeve, light weight Woodcraft smock, In the winter I use a long sleeve heavy smock.

Donny Lawson
12-03-2011, 5:49 AM
I've got a long button up work shirt that hangs down past my pockets that works well.

Richard Jones
12-03-2011, 5:52 AM
AAW smock. http://www.woodturner.org/shop/ProductShopItem.asp?PID=32

H (http://www.woodturner.org/shop/ProductShopItem.asp?PID=32)ad mine for a number of years, holds up great. I don't like the pockets, but guess I could sew them shut......

Rich

Michelle Rich
12-03-2011, 7:17 AM
smock? :cool: me don't need no stinkin' smock ! :eek: We wilderness livin' chainsaw using, old women don't need no smock!!! :);)

Richard Allen
12-03-2011, 7:33 AM
I have tried many different shop outerwear.

I have two laundry hampers at the door to my shop. One hamper holds old but clean "T" shirts. The other hamper is for dirty shirts. This works great most of the time. Shirt off, shop shirt on, enter the shop. Exit the shop, shop shirt in dirty hamper, shirt on.

I tried a lab coat when I first started turning. It covers a lot but it was to open at the neck and the material held the fine dust. The coat needed to be cleaned more often than I like.

I got one of the AAW smocks at a symposium (also available on-line). This smock works great. It has a long zipper up the front with a dust flap behind the zipper. A flap covered chest pocket to hold a pencil, paddle hone, ruler... The neck is elastic rib thing which keep the "stuff" on the outside. There is venting under the arms and larger pockets in the back. The material the smock is made of sheds the waste we generate at the lathe. The one issue I have with the smock is that the zipper is a small gauge zipper and can stick some times.

The club I belong to has a smock. It has most of the "stuff" the AAW smock has with a couple of added benefits. The smock is a pullover with a zipper up the chest and wide mesh back.

I wear the club smock the most, next is the AAW smock and the shop shirts get a lot of use as well.

Bill Bulloch
12-03-2011, 8:01 AM
I wear work clothes in the shop therefore do not wear a smock. I could, however, invision wearing one (a long sleave one) in situations like I had last week with that allergic reaction to Rosewood --- that is: unless you are one of those backwoods, chainsaw weilding old lades like someone has mentioned.

Jim Burr
12-03-2011, 8:08 AM
I use a turning smock. Turning mostly dry wood, I hate those shavings flying down the back of my shirt!

Roland Martin
12-03-2011, 8:35 AM
smock? :cool: me don't need no stinkin' smock ! :eek: We wilderness livin' chainsaw using, old women don't need no smock!!! :);)
Hahahaha!:D Smock, Shmock

charlie knighton
12-03-2011, 9:04 AM
summer i use a t shirt, winter my sister made me a smock, 3/4 sleeves, side pockets with flaps, pencil pocket/sleeve

Bill Neddow
12-03-2011, 9:13 AM
I have bought one (or more) of must about every smock out there over the years. The smocks I am most comfortable with and use all the time are from Craft Supplies.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Shop___Safety___Safety_Supplies___Woodturner_s_Smo ck___woodturners_smock?Args=

I wear the tan ones (light) in summer and the dark green ones (heavy) in winter.

They really keep the chips from going down your neck and into your waistband. They are comfortable and have short sleeves for safety.

Betty Fox
12-03-2011, 9:18 AM
Mine's from Woodcraft. It's tan with two pockets in back and velcro around the neck. Every once in a while I have to do the shaving dance when I forget to velcro but otherwise it works great.

Scott Lux
12-03-2011, 9:24 AM
My brother's father-in-law retired from the army a few years back. I ended up with his old greens and camos. (seems weird that I have pants that have been to Kuwait but I haven't). The olive-drab shirt/jacket makes a terrific smock in cool weather.

David E Keller
12-03-2011, 9:40 AM
Am I the only one that turns in the nude? I think I'd look weird with just a smock on!

Baxter Smith
12-03-2011, 9:51 AM
Where I do all my clothes shopping. Goodwill. 2$. Collar zips up under my faceshield, the pockets zip, and the nylon sheds sawdust a lot better than the denim dust magnet turning apron my wife got me from Rockler. I suppose I could wash it after more than a year but I don't want to lose any karma it might have somehow picked up. First time I have tried posting a picture from my phone so who knows what might happen now.

Alan Zenreich
12-03-2011, 10:03 AM
When it's chilly, I wear a long sleeve Sorby smock, but when it gets warmer I switch to an short sleeve AAW smock.

Alan Trout
12-03-2011, 10:04 AM
David,

I know your comment is in jest but after running several shirts from tannin in the wood mixing with my sweat in the summer there are many times when roughing a piece of wood I will wear nothing but a pair of jogging shorts and sandals. Probably not the safest thing. In the cool months I wear jeans and a shirt and just blow myself off. I have thought about a smock but never had one. Maybe one of these days.

Alan

Wally Dickerman
12-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Am I the only one that turns in the nude? I think I'd look wired with just a smock on!

Not a bad way to go during our hot summer months. I do think that I'd miss the pencil pocket in the denim apron that I do wear. Ummm...I think that I'll stick with the apron when I'm doing pyrography. Those hot embers could do some damage in embarassing places.:)

Hayes Rutherford
12-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Baxter, I have one the same as yours without the stripes. One word of caution: I had a windbreaker that was too large and puffy and got too close to the spindle on the outboard end of a running Oneway (no hand wheel) and it wound up the loose cloth. I immediately reacted and moved away, tearing out the right side, but not before the spindle threads got me in the rib cage a little. Lesson learned.

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2011, 10:49 AM
I use the AAW smock.

Dan Christensen
12-03-2011, 11:10 AM
I use this Woodturner's Apron from Rockler (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21649&filter=woodturners%20apron). I noticed that it is now on sale! I paid "full price" for mine a couple of years ago. I may buy another just to have a spare since it is on sale now.

Dan

Scott Hackler
12-03-2011, 11:27 AM
I never used to wear a smock, but after ruining a dozen or more T-shirts with various oils and black walnut juice..my better half suggested (very strongly) that I purchase one. So I bought one of the 25th Anniversary AAW smocks in St Paul. I, now, hang it on the tail stock to remind myself to put it on!

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Joe... I am real high-tech and use a camo duck jacket that I have had for years. Every few years it gets dusty... so I take it outside and wrap it around a tree a few times. Gets rid of the cobwebs and I am good to go for months!! :D

This a photo taken almost a year ago and is one of the few showing me turning.

Russell Neyman
12-03-2011, 4:55 PM
I nabbed one of the long-sleeved Rockler turner's coats with the wraparound throat strap when they were on sale last year, and it works pretty well. The key features to look for are (a) few, if any, pockets on the front, (b) a place to put pencils, preferably on the shoulder or someplace that won't collect chips, (c) a fabric smooth enough that shavings won't stick. In my case, I need something warm, too.

My friend and fellow woodturner, Dave Masters, surprised me one day when I went to visit him. He was wearing an electric blue graduation robe from his son's high school ceremonies, and at first glance I thought he was wearing a dress. It was on backwards so that the front neck was tight to his throat and nothing could get inside. Dave said that his turner's smock was in the wash, and the slickness of that robe worked perfectly to fend off sticky wood shavings. He looked pretty silly and I really had to hold back a laugh. He's going to kill me when he sees I've posted it.

Once those wood chips get into a fleece sweatshirt or socks they're toast. And any garment with a pocket will somehow collect shavings. If I put them in the clothes washer, I can expect everything else in that load to be fully jammed up with pieces of wood, too. So, in my book, having a woodturner's smock or apron is a must.

Jack Mincey
12-03-2011, 5:37 PM
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Shop___Safety___Shop_Supplies___MultiCam__Woodturn er_s_Smock___multicam_smock?Args=
Extremly light weight, pockets in the back are more useful than one would ever thank and the camo patteren doesn't show spots of finish or Glue that has gotten on all my other shirts before buying this smock. I like wearing camo anyway.
Jack

George Morris
12-03-2011, 5:56 PM
AAW smock. David TMI. !!!

robert baccus
12-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Being a snob at heart, or is that slob, i wear a blue $3 walmart windbreaker with a snapup closure. when the chips get to flying thick i button uo the collar and works as good as an AAW smock. also has stretch cuffs which allows you to pull them up to a safe height. ----------------old forester

Joe Watson
12-04-2011, 12:51 AM
... beating the filter bag against a tree...
... I take it outside and wrap it around a tree a few timesBoy, sounds like you have an issue with abusing trees :)

Gonna have to do alittle looking around.
Short sleeves and something that will hang below my paint pockets are the only "musts". The nabor behind me is an older lady (just hit 75 and moves around like a 50 year old - shes great) who im sure would love to sew pockets on the side-back of the smock if they are not already there. Them "woodworking" smocks are just too much money in my opinion - i just spent $550 on a Hobart 140 welder and didnt think twice, but $55 for a piece of cloth would kill me... go figure.

The Goodwill suggestion sounds good or maybe get naked like D.Keller and not have to worrie about a pocket full of chips or killing the washer, dryer and tracking chips all over the house... so many options, thanks everyone.

Mike Campbell KS
12-04-2011, 2:21 AM
I must have collected a dozen of the light weight fabric welding jackets over the last few years from different jobs. They work great for me. They are light, fit over bulky clothing, and are not restrictive. The chips and dust don't stick or collect at all.

Primvs Aebvtivs
12-04-2011, 9:58 AM
Personally I wear a long (knee length) jacket from work, nylon mix material - chips fall off and "wrapping it round a tree" works on getting the dust out! That or a cotton boilersuitr (all in one thing) from the maintenance department - this lets me tuck my boots inside the legs - saves on getting chips in the steel toe cap boots I wear!

My friend-turner Jon wears a fisherman's smock on back-to-front. The pockets are then at the back, and there's a knitted / elasticated neck tight to your throat. He also keeps a golfing glove to stop chips burning his left hand, and a wooly hat in the other pocket! (he learnt about the wooly hat from me - because I suffer cold temperatures very badly).

terry mccammon
12-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Try a welder's jacket. Mine does not have the velcro at the neck, but the button closure is just right. As you know they are a lot cheaper than the over-priced "woodturner's smock". The other alternative is to buy a cheap shirt that is too big for you and wear it backwards. Either cut the sleeves off short or put in a piece of elastic.

Bill Bulloch
12-04-2011, 12:14 PM
I never used to wear a smock, but after ruining a dozen or more T-shirts with various oils and black walnut juice..my better half suggested (very strongly) that I purchase one. So I bought one of the 25th Anniversary AAW smocks in St Paul. I, now, hang it on the tail stock to remind myself to put it on!

T-Shirt $10.00 --- Smock $60.00 --- A Happy Wife will make up the difference.