PDA

View Full Version : Hello

John T Barker
12-03-2011, 12:36 AM
I wanted to say hello and introduce myself. The name is obvious and I live in Wayne, Pennsylvania...just a few miles from Valley Forge national Park. I came to Pa. over 20 years ago to work at a pretty good woodworking shop that does 18th century reproductions. The name of the outfit is Irion Company; a few years ago they were written up in Fine Woodworking. I learned a lot there, a great experience.

Currently I work in a retail store that sells unfinished furniture. I hate it but the high end furniture business is tough and keeping a job or surviving on your own is tougher. I still hope to find an out but at 54 the odds are not good. I keep a shop near my apartment on one of the estates Washington stayed at before setting up a permanent HQ closer to VF. My shop is in an 18th century barn and pretty well equipped but I don't get there often these days. My five year old princess wants me to spend time with her. When I do get to my shop I make furniture and the occasional craft piece. last year I tooka piece of morrel burl and carved a bowl out of it as a wedding present. I had no idea what I was doing but everyone that sees it loves it...including bride and groom.

My wish list of future woodworking is more furniture, flintlock rifles and pistols, Native American weapons, chess sets, hand tools and maybe a remote control airplane (that's the short list.) I came to SMC after years of having it in the back of my mind but never having looked at it. I like the categories in this forum and what I've read so far intrigues me. A look in my profile will tell you that my hobbies aside from wood are cooking, chess, guns and military history (WWII.) I am from NJ where I was born, raised and educated (Rutgers University.)

Thanks,
John

Mike Heidrick
12-03-2011, 1:56 AM
Welcome John. Let me know if you need a Woodworking CNC hobby added to your shop!

Kenneth Crisler
12-03-2011, 4:09 AM
Hey John, welcome to SMC. Look forward to seeing some of your work if you get a chance to post photos. Can't tell you how envious I am of your time spent at Irion Company. Sorry it ended prematurely, but maybe in a few years the "Princess" can join you in getting your own high end shop going. (You never know, right?)
Great to have you here!

Paul McGaha
12-03-2011, 8:47 AM
Welcome to Sawmill Creek John.

Randy Alkins
12-03-2011, 9:13 AM
Welcome, not much WW!! history there but a good place for older history.

gary Zimmel
12-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Welcome to the Creek John..

Bruce Page
12-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Welcome to SMC, John. Pull up a chair and stay awhile.

Don Morris
12-03-2011, 1:05 PM
Welcome to the creek John. Sounds like you have much to contribute to us as well as gaining from those with other skills. If you like history at all, that area is packed with it. As said above, would like to see some of your work, I'll probably drool, but it's always nice to see good things done to good wood.