PDA

View Full Version : I wanted "Keeton-esque", but I got it wrong

Eric Gourieux
12-03-2011, 12:33 AM
I wanted to create something that looked like John's amazing "Acero Doice", but I got the proportions wrong. The finial and base are out of proportion to each other, but do I make a shorter finial or a taller base? The HF is myrtle burl and measures 5" x 3". I sanded it to 600, applied a few coats of straight-out-of-the-can brushing lacquer and wet sanded to 12,000. The base is dyed with india ink and measures almost 2' tall. The finial is almost 4" tall. The center section in the finial duplicating the HF is myrtle burl as well.

A few questions: 1) According to the rule of 3's, the finial height should be 2", right?

2) The duplication of the HF in the finial should be 1/3 up the height of the finial, right?

3) A few areas on the top of the HF are dull, as if the lacquer won't cover them. There is no feel to the areas, so I can't tell if they are raised, depressed, or neither. I thought that I may have wet sanded too deeply and sanded through the original lacquer, so I cut the lacquer 50/50 and reapplied two more coats. Nothing changed in these areas. Should I sand back down to raw wood and reapply the lacquer?

Sid Matheny
12-03-2011, 1:57 AM
I'm just a Tennessee redneck and have been told I don't know much about art, BUT I like it and don't think you have to change anything. Just be Eric!

Sid

Josh Bowman
12-03-2011, 3:47 AM
I'm just a Tennessee redneck and have been told I don't know much about art, BUT I like it and don't think you have to change anything. Just be Eric! Sid

Plus 1 on what Sid said. I like how the curves flow and the grain.

Michelle Rich
12-03-2011, 7:20 AM
few of us can replicate Cinda Drozda/John Keeton type vessels. You made a good stab at it! In my opinion, if the shoulder were a tad higher, you'd be closer! But heck, it's pretty as is. I'd put it on a shelf and enjoy it, if it were mine

Roger Chandler
12-03-2011, 7:47 AM
Pretty Eric..........very nicely done............as to the proportions, I think it all flows well.............perhaps just a tad thinner on the pedestal and a little shorter finial.................those are not really nits to pick, I think you did very well, and this is really nice................

I think your next one will be even better........your eye will tell you where to refine just a little more..................purdy,purdy!

John Keeton
12-03-2011, 8:25 AM
Eric, I am honored!!! You have done some very nice work with this one. As to the dimensions, I posted a scaled sketch in the WIP thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174148-WIP-quot-Acero-Dolce-quot-or-quot-Sweet-Maple-quot-now-finished%21/page5) on that one and that should give you an idea of the proportions I used. However, there are several possibilities, so don't think you have to go with what I did.

Is it possible that you have gotten some glue on the form, or perhaps some other contaminant that is precluding the finish from doing right? Hard to tell from the pics, but that might be it. Beautiful wood! I would be tempted to use lacquer thinner to remove the lacquer and sand the form again before starting the finish again.

charlie knighton
12-03-2011, 9:07 AM
very nice, keep fooling with it

Betty Fox
12-03-2011, 9:15 AM
That is one beautiful form. I wouldn't change a thing.

Wally Dickerman
12-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Cindy D does use the rule of thirds when turning pedestals and finials. In your case the pedestal should be 2/3 the height of the finial...or the other way around. IMO, your bowl form is right on just as it is.

If I was making a change I would make the stem of the pedestal thinner. It doesn't match the finial. In turning these pieces proportions can be difficult to get just right.

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2011, 10:44 AM
That is a beauty. I wouldn't change a thing except maybe a thinner pedestal as Wally eluded to. Your spots looks like what happened to me and got glue on the piece.

David DeCristoforo
12-03-2011, 3:05 PM
While you would be hard pressed to find a more worthy target, you are shooting at a pretty high bar. Other than "Her Majesty" and Robin Costelle, there are few turners possessing such a mastery of this form as John has. And John has put his own stamp on his pieces which, as he continues to develop his own unique vision, are becoming much more fluid and less like an assemblage of separate elements. This is not bad at all for a first shot. You need to develop a feeling for the proportions and form and that can only come with practice. It's far more subtile that it appears at first. Study the masters…

Baxter Smith
12-03-2011, 6:54 PM
Looks pretty good Eric though I would agree that it doesn't grab me like the one you were aiming for. Whenever I try and combine a hollowform I roughed out a year ago with a pedestal and finial, I play around with the numbers like you have along with a sketch. For me, seeing what does and doesn't work, still doesn't fully happen until I am done with it.

A question related to what you mentioned and I often wonder about.
"A finial height of 2". What measurement is that a third of in this instance?
Should the shoulder of the main form, be at roughly 1/3 or 2/3 of the total height along with the 1/3 or 2/3 pedestal finial ratio?

Two things that seem a bit off to me. The pedestal as mentioned seems a little thick in proportion to the finial and if the base of the finial had a curve from the top of the form the way the pedestal curves up from the table it might flow a little better. Just some thoughts from someone who couldn't do as nice a job as you did!:)

James Combs
12-03-2011, 7:46 PM
I like it just the way it is.