PDA

View Full Version : performax question

James Boster
03-07-2005, 7:59 PM
For anybody running performax sanders. I would like to know what size the paper strips are for the 16-32 and the 22-44 sanders. I know thay are 3" wide but what is the length? Also about how much do the strips cost each? Thanks

Brian Hale
03-07-2005, 8:03 PM
Check this out

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3171

Charlie Plesums
03-07-2005, 9:56 PM
The 16/32 is a little over 7 feet long - I just trace a factory strip when I cut new ones, so don't have the exact length.

I found that you could get a 70 foot roll for about $60, then I found a 50 yard (150 foot) roll for about $55 delivered - works fine. The factory refills are up to about $8 each, so cut your own for less than $3 each is pretty exciting. I understand that there are also other vendors competitive with www.sandpaperworks.com (http://www.sandpaperworks.com)

Steve Cox
03-07-2005, 10:56 PM
If you look on the link Brian gave you'll see where they eay the back of the sandpaper is color coded. I can't remember what color mine uses of the top of my head but it is written on the box. Just find the color, cut on that line and wrap.

Leo Leidlein
03-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Hey James,

I recently purchases a 22-44 sander and have cut my own strips. Much cheaper this way. The length of 3" paper needed is I believe 123 inches. I know for sure it is a little over ten feet but it is a few weeks since I cut some. If you need an exact measurement let me know and I'll go measure a strip.

James Boster
03-08-2005, 2:16 AM
Thanks Leo the reason I was asking is because I have several 3" x 132" belts that I am going to sell. Since this is an odd size thought they might appeal to someone with a drum sander.

Charlie Plesums
03-08-2005, 9:52 AM
...the back of the sandpaper is color coded....
If you make your own lines, rather than using the Performax color coded cut lines, the price is half as much. ($55 delivered vs. $99.99 plus shipping)

Joe Meazle
03-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Charlie,

how does the quaility of the $55 papercompare with the factory paper?
Joe

Bill Arnold
03-08-2005, 11:15 AM
I measured one of my 16-32 factory rolls at about 96".

... how does the quaility of the $55 papercompare with the factory paper? Joe
I buy Klingspor paper for about $55 per 150' roll. It's got a reputation as the Cadillac of sandpapers.

Joe Meazle
03-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Bill,

i just bought a roll from them for my 22-44 and it was $75 for 158 ft. How are you getting it ofr $55? 55 is great price.
joe

Charlie Plesums
03-09-2005, 12:41 AM
Since the diagonal end of one piece overlaps the starting diagonal of the next piece, I think the amount used off the roll is closer to 7 feet, especially since one vendor offered "10 belt" 70 foot rolls. But whether 7 or 8 feet, the bulk rolls are clearly the way to go.

I usually gunk up a sheet with glue or sap long before the paper is worn out. The factory paper was so expensive that I spent a lot of time "washing" it with simple green, a scrub brush, and a garden hose. The new rolls are so much cheaper that I haven't bothered trying to clean any yet, but the quality of the grit, backing, etc. appears to be similar.

See www.sandpaperworks.com (http://www.sandpaperworks.com) where I got my latest roll at the $55 price. I also got great service from a&h abrasives, but they were more expensive. The price in the Klingspor catalog is higher than Bill paid, but I have asked for a quote to see if it gets closer to Bill's price (but he is a nicer guy, so that may have been a factor). Although the abrasive I got from sandpaperworks seems good, there is no question that Klingspor is the standard.

Bill Arnold
03-09-2005, 1:15 PM
Bill,

i just bought a roll from them for my 22-44 and it was $75 for 158 ft. How are you getting it ofr $55? 55 is great price.
joe

Joe,

The catalog price is about $88 and I get a 37.5% discount, making the price per roll a bit over $55. I have to pay tax and shipping so that brings the total to about $60 per 150' roll.

Regards,

Bill Arnold
03-09-2005, 1:33 PM
Since the diagonal end of one piece overlaps the starting diagonal of the next piece, I think the amount used off the roll is closer to 7 feet, ...
Well, duhhh on my part. Forgot about the diagonal. I haven't cut any pieces yet. Actually, the factory cut seems to be a little short to me. For the pre-cut roll to reach across the drum, there is a seperation between the wraps. Looks like it would fit better if it were a few inches longer.

... The price in the Klingspor catalog is higher than Bill paid, but I have asked for a quote to see if it gets closer to Bill's price (but he is a nicer guy, so that may have been a factor). ...
Nice guy, huh? Some folks might dispute that! :rolleyes: