PDA

View Full Version : 16/32 sander strips?

Matt Meiser
12-02-2011, 9:34 PM
I bought a Ryobi 16/32 sander this past summer from a nearby Craigslist ad. It came with a few 80g strips but I need to get more. I picked up a single 120 and 150 to try on Monday which were pretty pricey at $12 each. (it uses the same strips as a Performax). I see Klingspor sells a bulk pack in various grits that makes 19 premarked strips for about $90. Thats probably more than I'd ever use. 4 packs Of precut are $30. Anyone have a known good source that might be a little more reasonable in smaller quantities? Anyone try the Michigan based eBay seller selling 12 precut strips for $54?

Anthony Whitesell
12-02-2011, 9:36 PM
The only thing that's in between is the bulk UNmarked but it will still be around $75 for 19 wraps.

david brum
12-02-2011, 10:01 PM
I've been happy with the 35' rolls from Peachtree at $17/per. http://www.ptreeusa.com/performaxrolls.htm

Matt Meiser
12-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Those say ready to wrap but are a continuous roll? Are they marked for easy cutting or do you use an old one as a template?

John Coloccia
12-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Personally, I buy 50 yard rolls from Industrial Abrasives. I sometimes use the old one as a template to cut the new one, but really that's not even necessary. It's a totally non-critical cut. What I did was cut off the end of one ages ago. I use that as a template for the end. When I go to wrap, I wrap it once very quickly, mark with a marker at the other end of the drum, and then just eyeball the taper using the saved end as a template. Then I cut. I re-wrap, I trim the end if I need to, and I'm done. It's really so much easier to do than to describe. Once you realize that there's no precision to it, and that it just needs to sorta fit, it becomes a very easy task.

I should really do a video on this. It's a very simple task and you can save a lot of money just buying in bulk.

Matt Meiser
12-03-2011, 9:12 AM
John, these (http://www.industrialabrasives.com/sanding-rolls-aluminum-oxide-polycotton-drum-sanding-rolls-3x52-yds-c-79_154.html)?

How long are these wraps anyway? I can't find a measurement?

John Coloccia
12-03-2011, 9:22 AM
John, these (http://www.industrialabrasives.com/sanding-rolls-aluminum-oxide-polycotton-drum-sanding-rolls-3x52-yds-c-79_154.html)?How long are these wraps anyway? I can't find a measurement?Yes, those. I don't know what the length is.

Mark Ashmeade
12-03-2011, 9:23 AM
I can't speak for the 16/32, but for the 22/44, the dimensions of the strip and angle details are in the manual. You could try downloading the Jet 16/32 manual.

+1 on Ptree. Luckily enough, they're not far from my office, so no shipping, but you might find something similar in your locale.

Kevin Presutti
12-03-2011, 9:34 AM
Matt, Check this link out http://www.industrialabrasives.com/sanding-rolls-aluminum-oxide-polycotton-drum-sanding-rolls-3x52-yds-c-79_154.html

Curt Harms
12-03-2011, 9:48 AM
I made a template from 1/8" tempered hardboard with the taper traced from a factory strip. The length I have written on it is 92". Rolls of abrasive came from Industrial Abrasives.

Keith Outten
12-03-2011, 9:10 PM
Matt,

I have a couple five gallon buckets full of edge sanding belts, I could send you a couple rolls if you want them. Each roll is from a large edge sander and I think it would make several wraps for your sander. I use to cut these belts down to fit a 24" drum sander. Each roll is about 5" in diameter and they are wrapped tight. I could unroll one and get you some dimensions if you like. As I recall there were two different belts one was yellow and the other a more traditional brown color. The gold belts were used only once.....to sand a casket in casket factory but they are like brand new.

Matt Meiser
12-08-2011, 8:29 AM
Keith, thanks for the offer. How wide are these belts? The drum sander I have needs 3" wide strips.

I did find that Klingspor has 58' rolls which make 7 wraps--much more reasonable quantity for $35.

Next question--what grits? Definitely 80, and at least 1 or 2 finer. I know I can't go too fine but was thinking something like 120 and maybe 180. Or is 180 too fine?

lawrence dosson
12-08-2011, 4:09 PM
Matt
the real fine belts are easily burnt but with care they will work i use 220 once in a while and get buy ok
but 80 is good all around and 36 is great if you have something that needs a lot of materal removed re: cutting boards or really wild grain boards that are almost imposible to plane