PDA

View Full Version : BLO Question??

James Combs
12-02-2011, 8:04 PM
My Sister ordered 20 birdhouses as Christmas tree ornaments but she did not want them glossy. I am using BLO on them but I can't find anyplace on the container that tells me how long it takes it to dry or cure. The three that I used it on felt dry to the touch in just a few minutes after wiping away the excess but I don't think it was actually dry. Does anyone have drying/curing time info?

BTW these are the first 4 of the birdhouses. They look OK with the BLO but as ornaments I prefer glossy.
From LtoR: Spalted Maple & Walnut, Bitternut and Mulberry, Bradford Pear NE & Poplar(not BLO used Hut Crustal Coat), Poplar & Plum.

C&C appreciated.

David E Keller
12-02-2011, 8:14 PM
I'm not sure of the exact time, but a heavy coat can take a while(at least a few weeks) judging from the smell. I use the smell test to assess curing, and a heavy coat of BLO can take a while to stopping stinking. If you apply it on the lathe and burnish it in, it seems to cure rather quickly. Neat ornaments!

Bill Bulloch
12-02-2011, 9:18 PM
I don't know about cure time for BLO. I apply it with the lathe running, then apply a coat of Spray on Shellac with a paper towel (like you do a pen with the BLO/CA finish). I'll do several coats and its good to go.

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2011, 9:39 PM
Great looking birdhouses James. BLO will be a while drying. I did some lidded boxes and could still smell the BLO after 3 to 4 weeks.

Sid Matheny
12-02-2011, 11:38 PM
If you will mix BLO and MS at about 50/50 it will dry a lot faster.

Sid

Jim Burr
12-02-2011, 11:46 PM
I don't know beans about BLO, but I really like the tree hangers!

robert baccus
12-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Nice birdhouses--mind if copy a few of them. regarding finishes, i fought this as a sailor for 50 years trying to keep a finish on mah. and teak ect. there is no durable clear outdoor(sun) finish known to science. your choice of only oil is probably the best possible. any film finish is going to come off partially soon. LOL---------------old forester PS the pretty yachts in miami have 4-6 chickypoo deckhands that sand and varnish daily.