PDA

View Full Version : Oneway vs Jet

kevin nee
12-02-2011, 6:58 PM
Hello I am looking at a Oneway 1640 that is used for about the same price as a NEW
Jet 1642.? Any comments.

Jon McElwain
12-02-2011, 7:45 PM
It sounds like you can get the 1640 for about half of the new price! I have been super happy with my Oneway 2436 and only have good things to say about it. The 1640 really is a lot more lathe than the jet. Only question, is it the 1.5 hp or 2 hp? As with all used machines, I would take it for a test drive to make sure everything is tight. It should be very quiet, no rattles in the head stock or tail stock, banjo should lock tight, etc. Check forward and reverse, take it all the way up to top speed, down to low, etc. etc.

Good luck - if it is in good shape, it sounds like a real bargain!

Jack Mincey
12-02-2011, 7:47 PM
If the Oneway is is good shape there is no comparison between the two. Oneway's quality is way higher than the Jet. I turn on both and prefer my 1640 over even a couple of Powermatic's I turn on. I have the extension bed so that I can turn on the outboard side with a 24" swing and a short bed. The banjo, tailstock, and tool rest are so much better on the Oneway it is enough to make the decision on just that in my mind.
Good Luck,
Jack

Eric Holmquist
12-02-2011, 8:51 PM
+1 to the Oneway. I've used both the Oneway 1640 and the Jet 1642 and the Oneway is vastly better. This assumes of course that the used Oneway is not abused, which will primarily just be a rust issue as the Oneway is so solidly built.

John Fabre
12-03-2011, 3:35 AM
Another vote for the Oneway, but I loved my Jet 1642 2hp, Jet 1440 1hp and my boy's Jet mini. The reason why I voted for Oneway, it can be sold later for what you paid for it.

Jake Helmboldt
12-03-2011, 11:26 AM
I have a 1642, and for the price it is a great lathe. But if you can get the Oneway for the same price and it isn't abused, then I would take that hands down. The quality of the Oneway is simply superior, and you can probably sell it for the same price down the road if you choose.