PDA

View Full Version : Golden Ratio in Gory Detail

Nate Davey
12-02-2011, 6:18 PM
Thought some of you might enjoy this, from the Kahn Academy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zosU6XTgSY&feature=player_embedded#!

Rich Aldrich
12-02-2011, 6:40 PM
That is really cool and a good refresh of algebra. It give one a different outlook of a non-converging number. Too bad my algebra teacher didnt use this in class, I might have gotten more out of it.

Harry Robinette
12-02-2011, 6:45 PM
Now that was 15 minutes of life I just lost for nothing. Sorry Nate

Marty Eargle
12-02-2011, 7:25 PM
This just reminded me that I have an advanced calculus class next semester...which will be my first math class in about three years. Ugh.

Neat stuff though. : )

Greg Ketell
12-02-2011, 7:37 PM
Very cool. Thank you for sharing!

charlie knighton
12-02-2011, 7:52 PM
which reminds me....

David DeCristoforo
12-02-2011, 7:55 PM
Huh?

If you can't explain it well enough, you simply don't understand it- DeCristoforo

Nate Davey
12-02-2011, 9:39 PM
Told you it was in gory detail.:D I can link Fibonaccis sequence if anyone is interested.

Don Alexander
12-02-2011, 10:52 PM
more power to ya if that stuff enhances your experience

all that mumbo jumbo just sucks the fun right out of it for me though

Steve Trauthwein
12-03-2011, 7:49 AM
A great illustration of Benoit Mandelbrot's fractal geometry. I found it interesting, and I am afraid to analyze what that makes me.

Regards, Steve

Jason Roehl
12-03-2011, 8:23 AM
I enjoyed it, too. Years ago, a retired neighbor had told me about the Golden Ratio (beyond that it's about 1.6:1). He explained what it was in words, so I went inside, grabbed a piece of paper and a pencil and solved it algebraically (and numerically). I came up with [1 + SQRT(5)]/2 as well. But I didn't use any Greek letters...

Thom Sturgill
12-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks Nate. That was a nice refresh.

The point guys, is if you want to be artists, it takes more than just skill, it takes knowledge and planning. for example, to be successful a painter has to know his media, how to mix colors, load a brush, compose a drawing, understand perspective, light, shadow and yes, the golden ratio. I have seen numerous articles here on photography and the need to understand some technical details.

As wood turners we have to know tool technique, understand what combinations of woods 'work' and what doesn't. These we often learn by doing and looking at others work. We have to learn not just how to apply finishes, but when to choose one over another. And good design does not just happen. Sometimes we just copy soomething we've seen, but then we are standing on the shoulders of the true artist.

JK has discussed how he carefully designs each piece, while some of us design at the lathe, and that's OK as long as you understand where you are going and why. Because it shows up in nature so much, pieces that incorporate the golden ratio appear more 'natural', IMHO.

Scott Hackler
12-03-2011, 11:56 AM
My brain now hurts! I am just going to cheat and use the android app or make one of those golden mean dividers!

Nate Davey
12-03-2011, 12:13 PM
His "Art History" lessons are well done. A very good site for learning, or relearning, things......and it's free.

Wally Dickerman
12-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Okay, I understood about the first 30 seconds of that. But then math wasn't my best subject in School.

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Nate I am to old for this stuff. I got a headache after the first minute.:D

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2011, 1:17 PM
Nate - that was pretty cool! Wish it would have been as interesting when I took algebra in school... I might have gotten more out of it at the time.

Pete Jordan
12-03-2011, 4:28 PM
Thanks for sharing, Nate.

I use this guy with my 5th graders all the time. He has many segments that are useful in many areas.

Bill Bolen
12-03-2011, 5:09 PM
My head now hurts and my eyes are watering....think I'll stick with the homemade gauge!

Michael Ginsberg
12-03-2011, 5:35 PM
OR..
Just get Soren Berger's Golden Ratio Proportion calipers, pay for it if you can find it, and get it (perhaps within the year).If you order now, perhaps you can treat yourself for a holiday gift (2012). I think your you tube is far less painful.