PDA

View Full Version : First things I'm willing to sign, covered nut/candy dish, cheese board and knife

Doug Herzberg
12-02-2011, 5:55 PM
I know they're not perfect, but they're the best I've done so far. Osage Orange, 400 grit, walnut oil. Bowl is 5-3/4 x 2-1/4 x 1/4 approx. overall, cheese board is 8-3/8 x 5/8 and knife handle is 5 x 3/4.

Believe it or not, I spent a lot of time studying the resources some of you recommended on form, as well as technique, but it's clear I have a long way to go. The problem was in execution. I meant for the wide part of the bowl to be about 1/3 of the way down with the lid off and 2/3 of the way down with the lid on. There wasn't enough wood to do that and get the diameter I wanted. Also planned to hide the seam a little better. Wood moved even though it was very dry (8%), so it's not a real tight fit. I didn't even try to match the grains; some do some don't. Gentle C&C needed and wanted. Thanks.

I cut this branch from the hedge row on the farm where I grew up. It was too heavy to carry, so I cut it in half and my 75+ year old mom carried one piece out of the field and I carried the other. These are her thank you gift. She's very proud that the farm has been in our family for 100+ years.

Daner Steel
12-02-2011, 5:57 PM
Wow they look great, Nice work

Eric Holmquist
12-02-2011, 6:40 PM
A nice set of pieces.

Getting the form just the way you want it and grain alignment to work out on a lidded piece can often be tough, it's hard to plan it out until you have done it a few times.

More important than getting the form what you had in mind at the start is that your final form has nice flowing lines with no obvious flat spots or corners in unexpected places.

In terms of tight fit, on lidded forms, it's often a question of who are you trying to impress, another turner, or the general public. Turners are impressed with a tight fit, everyone else likes a lid that easily lifts off with one hand. As long as the fit is similar to glass of porcelain lidded forms, it is tight enough.

Joe Watson
12-02-2011, 7:08 PM
I think they all look pretty good. Really like the bowl, something with that shape i like...
For just starting out, the finishes look great + no tool marks is always something to be happy about no matter if the shape is what you wanted or not.

_

charlie knighton
12-02-2011, 7:11 PM
very nice....

James Combs
12-02-2011, 7:23 PM
Nice, I don't see anything to criticize, only praise worthy turnings.

Baxter Smith
12-02-2011, 7:38 PM
I think they both look good Doug. My only suggestion might have been to undercut the knob just a bit more (somewhat along the lines of the bottom of the bowl). Given who they are for and where they are from, you have total winners!

Jim Burr
12-02-2011, 7:41 PM
I really like the inverted rim on the platter, wasn't expecting that. Looks like a winning set!

Roger Chandler
12-02-2011, 8:48 PM
Nice Doug..........you will get the hang of form in the practice of making things...........an eye for form is developed somewhat even for those who have a natural talent .............putting a form that is in your mind or on paper .......being able to transfer that to the actual wood on the lathe is a thing that develops with the repeated doing of it......

Good job! I like Osage Orange!

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2011, 9:22 PM
Nice work Doug! Your Mom is going to love these!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2011, 9:36 PM
Really nice Doug. Mom is going to be a happy lady.

Michelle Rich
12-03-2011, 7:39 AM
If they are "signable" then you are making strided & progress. Keep at it!

Doug Herzberg
12-03-2011, 3:31 PM
Thanks, everyone, for looking. I appreciate your comments and critiques.

Doug W Swanson
12-03-2011, 3:50 PM
Nice work there, Doug. You should be proud of them!