PDA

View Full Version : Please help me save my marriage...

Harold Burrell
12-02-2011, 2:34 PM
I have a problem.

My shop is in my garage. It is not attached to the house. There are times that my wife needs to get my attention (All too often, by the way...but we'll save that little discussion for another time...).

Her "attention getter" of choice is to open the electric garage door. That scares the ever-lovin' heck out of me. So...we need something else.

I was thinking of some kind of strobe light thingy that could be remotely triggered. But, I don't even know if something like that is available.

Anyway...I need ideas.

Please.

Jim N Burke
12-02-2011, 2:43 PM
Our signal is for her to flick the lights. That, or some version of it might work for you.

Jim

Bryan Slimp
12-02-2011, 2:45 PM
If you have cutters, blades, or bits spinning there is no safe way in my opinion. Since it's detached she won't know that. Could you use one of those remotes they make to turn on/off Christmas lights with a lamp plugged into it to alert you? You could plug in a lamp, strobe light, lava lamp, or whatever gets your attention.

Amanda Brimm
12-02-2011, 2:46 PM
Hmm... maybe one of those vibrating light-up pager things like how they have at restaurants? :)

Larry Fox
12-02-2011, 2:47 PM
My father has an unattached shop - he installed an intercom. Works like a charm. I (unfortunately) have an attached shop so my wife raps on the door / wall to get my attention.

Myk Rian
12-02-2011, 2:49 PM
FRS radios. Set them in charging bases. If she needs you, she can send a call signal.
Many wireless phones have the same feature.

Harvey Melvin Richards
12-02-2011, 3:00 PM
You could easily set up a flashing light using a Radio Shack remote and a simple light base. It would also consume less power that the garage door.

Chris Tsutsui
12-02-2011, 3:00 PM
One problem is you can't hear anything with machines going on and you won't see much either if your eyes are focused in one area.

My solution would be to buy one of those seasonal RF remotes to control an surge strip or something similar to control outdoor landscape lights. Home depot sells a GE model I think, and every mart and borg has some version of a wireless outdoor landscape/ lighting controller.

Buy one of these for $20 or less, then plug in a colored flood light that contrasts with your shops color. Red, blue, green etc...

When your wife wants your attention she can turn on that flood light from the other room. You'll notice the ambient light color change in the room, and it shouldn't interfere.

Grant Wilkinson
12-02-2011, 3:06 PM
I tried the light idea, but I was not always pointed in the right direction. Now, I carry my cell phone on vibrate in my pocket. My wife calls. She gets my attention, and I get a good buzz out of it.

Harold Burrell
12-02-2011, 3:11 PM
I tried the light idea, but I was not always pointed in the right direction. Now, I carry my cell phone on vibrate in my pocket. My wife calls. She gets my attention, and I get a good buzz out of it.

Yeah, the cellphone idea is great. Unfortunately...we don't get signal where we live...:(

Paul McGaha
12-02-2011, 3:17 PM
Tell her to make an appointment with you Harold, and otherwise, you know, leave you alone when you're in the shop.

Sure that would go over well.

PHM

Alan Trout
12-02-2011, 3:22 PM
A shock collar can be quite effective and the pro models have a good range. She can also use it when you are getting out of hand.:D

Alan

Sean Hughto
12-02-2011, 3:23 PM
You just need to wear this necklace in the shop:

http://dogshocktrainingcollars.com/order-rechargeable.php

;-)

mike holden
12-02-2011, 3:39 PM
How about using cell phones?
Simple and adaptable.

Larry Browning
12-02-2011, 3:44 PM
You can pick up a cordless phone with 2 handsets that has an intercom feature. I keep the 2nd handset in the shop. If the wife needs me she simply calls me on the intercom. If I am running a loud power tool I don't hear it until I turn off the tool(which is a good thing). This works well and does not startle me when I am running a dangerous power tool. Plus you have the added feature of having a phone in the shop.. Oh, wait, that is not a feature! My shop is over 100 ft from the house and it works great!

Neil Brooks
12-02-2011, 3:49 PM
Paintball gun ?

John Coloccia
12-02-2011, 3:58 PM
If you have cutters, blades, or bits spinning there is no safe way in my opinion. Since it's detached she won't know that. Could you use one of those remotes they make to turn on/off Christmas lights with a lamp plugged into it to alert you? You could plug in a lamp, strobe light, lava lamp, or whatever gets your attention.

Exactly. I got extremely upset with my wife a couple of weeks ago because I was in the middle of doing something, and she started screaming to get my attention. She wasn't yelling at me but was just trying to be heard over a router and my cyclone. Scared the hell out of me, I almost destroyed my piece and I could have gotten hurt. And SHE could have gotten hurt.

Afterwards, we tried to figure out a way to get my attention, and finally I just told her "If you hear machines going, stay out of the shop....period. Unless you're having a heart attack or the place is on fire AND it can't wait 10 seconds, just stay out". That's the only way. It's dangerous for both of us and there is really nothing that important unless it's life threatening.

Mike Goetzke
12-02-2011, 4:29 PM
I have the same proble too in my attached garage. After reading the posts maybe a flashing strobe light is the best solution because I have one for my cyclone dust bin and I'm used to it alarming so it really doesn't make me jump.

Mike

John Lanciani
12-02-2011, 4:54 PM
"If you hear machines going, stay out of the shop....period. Unless you're having a heart attack or the place is on fire AND it can't wait 10 seconds, just stay out". That's the only way. It's dangerous for both of us and there is really nothing that important unless it's life threatening.

+1. Same thing happened to me and I calmly asked my wife how she'd feel if she was directly responsible for me cutting a finger off. Very few things are so important that they can't wait a minute or two...

Mark Ashmeade
12-02-2011, 5:01 PM
Yeah, the cellphone idea is great. Unfortunately...we don't get signal where we live...:(

AT&T microcell. Solve two problems at once (assuming you have broadband internet access, that is). You'd have cellphone coverage and the wife could call you. Cheap too, about $200.

ray hampton
12-02-2011, 5:09 PM
a doorbell transformer wired to a bell and flashing lights strung on all four walls will get your attention- or the back-up alarm that trucks use

Richard McComas
12-02-2011, 5:14 PM
My garage door has a button that disables it so pushing the button on the remote dose nothing. That will solve the ''That scares the ever-lovin' heck out of me."

ray hampton
12-02-2011, 5:17 PM
if this post are not a sticky then it need to be a sticky

Bill White
12-02-2011, 5:18 PM
Baby monitor. Inexpensive and effective.
I used one for years when I had a detached shop.
Bill

Jim Matthews
12-02-2011, 5:21 PM
Door number one (http://www.productsforthedeaf.com/cl-al11), Flashy!
Door number two (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12210783&CAWELAID=1056380429), 24 square feet to score.
Door number three (http://aircannonsinc.com/microcannon.htm), she could just launch your dinner into the shop (provided she has good aim).

Iffin 'twas me, I would shut off the garage door before I removed a digit.

Bill White
12-02-2011, 5:21 PM
If you hear machines going, stay out of .......

Uh, John???? Do you have a REALLY good lawer? (Snicker!)
Bill

John Coloccia
12-02-2011, 5:31 PM
If you hear machines going, stay out of .......

Uh, John???? Do you have a REALLY good lawer? (Snicker!)
Bill

LOL...I know how it sounds. It wasn't in a mean way. I usually only run things for a maximum of a couple of minutes at a time. I spend most of my time working by hand so it's really not that big of a deal. Now that you mention it, though, I do like the idea of popping in some earplugs, turning on the dust collector and getting some piece and quiet.....

:D

Tim Morton
12-02-2011, 5:38 PM
One of the things about bluetooth audio is that it will mute and send a notification when you receive a text...and it is not startling at all. So set up BT connection to a stereo or boom box using your cell phone...then just have her send you a text.

Harvey Melvin Richards
12-02-2011, 6:15 PM
For 12 years I had a phone flasher attached to a 100w light bulb that was set up high in the shop. It always got my attention even with my back turned towards it. It was never startling enough to me to endanger me.

david brum
12-02-2011, 6:19 PM
I bought one of these a couple of years ago: http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/Shop-Flash-/G8590. It's nice because you can select the strobe and buzzer functions separately. I just use mine on strobe mode, which isn't terribly distracting. These things are activated by vibration. I set my cell phone on vibration mode, then on top of unit. If my wife can't get my attention, she just calls me. Can't beat the price.

Brian W Evans
12-02-2011, 6:24 PM
I used to have a detached shop with an extension of our house phone. Since my wife couldn't call our own phone, she would call her mother, have my MIL call the house, and let the phone ring until I picked up. If you think getting interrupted in the shop is bad, try getting interrupted by your mother-in-law EVERY TIME!:mad:

Man, I used to LOVE to just let that phone ring and ring. Of course, there is always a price to be paid...

Harold Burrell
12-02-2011, 7:20 PM
I used to have a detached shop with an extension of our house phone. Since my wife couldn't call our own phone, she would call her mother, have my MIL call the house, and let the phone ring until I picked up. If you think getting interrupted in the shop is bad, try getting interrupted by your mother-in-law EVERY TIME!:mad:

Man, I used to LOVE to just let that phone ring and ring. Of course, there is always a price to be paid...

Whoa...

If my MIL called that would freak me out WAY more than the garage door.

(She passed away 12 years ago.)

Peter Quinn
12-02-2011, 7:25 PM
Exactly. I got extremely upset with my wife a couple of weeks ago because I was in the middle of doing something, and she started screaming to get my attention. She wasn't yelling at me but was just trying to be heard over a router and my cyclone. Scared the hell out of me, I almost destroyed my piece and I could have gotten hurt. And SHE could have gotten hurt.Afterwards, we tried to figure out a way to get my attention, and finally I just told her "If you hear machines going, stay out of the shop....period. Unless you're having a heart attack or the place is on fire AND it can't wait 10 seconds, just stay out". That's the only way. It's dangerous for both of us and there is really nothing that important unless it's life threatening.Ditto that. I took a class with a guy that was missing three finger because his wife came in to get his attention while he was on the jointer. I told my wife in a polite and loving way to stay the he double hockey sticks away from my shop door f the machines are on. Don't bother knocking, yelling, arm flailing. Just wait. They really don't like coming in second, but I really don't like surgery. There is no safe way to get a persons attention when that attention should be focused on the dangerous task of wood working. I keep my phone in my pocketon vibrate. I told her to send me a text, I'll feel the little shake, I'll get back to her at a convenient time.

Jerome Hanby
12-02-2011, 7:52 PM

Get a set of those cell phone looking two way radios. I think they have a low power standby mode that can goose you when the other other unit has a button pressed. Several mile range I think.

Troy Turner
12-02-2011, 8:53 PM
So I'm readin all (yes all) the replies. Are we talking about she needs your attention when she comes in the shop, or she needs your attention when she's outside the shop and you're in the shop?

Only way to get your attention in the shop is to wait for the tool to stop...don't matter how long it takes.

If she needs you to open a jar or smash a bug in the house, I'm thinking one of those wireless doorbells. She should have the button in the kitchen and you could rig the box anyway you wanted to in your shop. Not sure how loud they are, but even with ear protection and a machine going, should be able to hear something. I think they're pretty cheap too.

Eric McCune
12-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Do you listen to music in this shop? By a Sonos system that she can mute from a smartphone, computer or tablet. You need Internet or wifi in your shop.

Kevin W Johnson
12-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Exactly. I got extremely upset with my wife a couple of weeks ago because I was in the middle of doing something, and she started screaming to get my attention. She wasn't yelling at me but was just trying to be heard over a router and my cyclone. Scared the hell out of me, I almost destroyed my piece and I could have gotten hurt. And SHE could have gotten hurt.

Afterwards, we tried to figure out a way to get my attention, and finally I just told her "If you hear machines going, stay out of the shop....period. Unless you're having a heart attack or the place is on fire AND it can't wait 10 seconds, just stay out". That's the only way. It's dangerous for both of us and there is really nothing that important unless it's life threatening.

Had to have pretty much the same discussion with my wife. It seems as if they have a hard time grasping whats REALLY important. That useless bit of something they feel they have to tell you that moment, or keeping your fingers intact.

Jim Neeley
12-04-2011, 1:03 AM
My solution is really simple and works well for us.

Remember those inexpensive "X10" remote control devices that send their signals over your electric lines?

I use a $15 transmitter http://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/mc460.html and a $14 receiver http://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/tm751.html to turn on a 250watt halogen light, aimed at the ceiling in my shop. I keep my shop fairly well lit but the extra light bounces off the ceiling, making the room suddenly appear about 10% brighter. This is enough to catch my attention without making me jump. The transmitter in the house is capable of controlling additional devices if I wish to add them at some time and additional remotes can be added if we some day want one in the shop.

What I like about the system is that it is very modular, so you can build it up over time... or not!

John T Barker
12-04-2011, 1:28 AM
Wouldn't a cheap cell phone, set on vibrate work? Or a phone system with an built in intercom. Ours does that...not that we use it in a one bedroom apartment. Not too expensive either.

John

Tony Perrone
12-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Great time of year for this go to your choice of Borg and buy a remote for christmass tree lights and enough colored lights to go all around the shop (led are cheap to run) this way any where you are in the shop if the christmass lights come on its eaither time to party or your wife needs your attention:)

phil harold
12-04-2011, 10:41 AM
My wife walks to my shop if she needs me...

ray hampton
12-04-2011, 4:56 PM
My wife walks to my shop if she needs me...

in snow 2 feet deep and uphill both ways

David G Baker
12-04-2011, 5:07 PM
My shop is around 200 feet from my house, for communication we use a set of small hand radios. The ones we use cost around 50$ and have worked great for a few years. I keep the radio in my shirt pocket buttoned in so it won't fall out. I have been able to hear the call noise no matter which tool I am using.

David Larsen
12-04-2011, 7:34 PM
[QUOTE=Brian W Evans;1819900]I used to have a detached shop with an extension of our house phone. Since my wife couldn't call our own phone, she would call her mother, have my MIL call the house, and let the phone ring until I picked up. QUOTE]

I used to have an extension in my shop. Just had SWMBO dial our 7-digit number and hang up when you get the busy signal. The phone will start ringing, when it quits ringing, then you know someone picked up.

Doug Morgan
12-04-2011, 8:48 PM
unhook the mechanism from the door opener and when she uses the remote to open the door (which will not when the mechanism is disconnected) the light comes on. Then you know when she wants you and you don't jump out of your skin when the door opens.

EASY SIMPLE AND NO DIVORCE! and it don't cost anything. You could also screw a plug into the light socket on the door opener and use that to turn on a radio!

Max Coller
12-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Ok, so we've covered visual indicators (strobes, Christmas lights.)

We've got suggestions for auditory (bell, chime, phone, high-pitched and decidedly disappointed whine of a Mother In Law.)

We've got tactile (cell phone on vibrate.)

What about olfactory? I'm pretty sure if I smelled smoke signals while I was in the middle of cutting tenons on the table saw I'd cease operations pretty quickly, but still in a safe and orderly manner. The logistics of a remote-control smoke signal aren't terribly challenging - for example a remote starter for model rockets.

phil harold
12-05-2011, 1:01 PM
if the phone works you can get one of these
http://www.smithgear.com/krn-k-ra-005.html

Tony Perrone
12-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Olfactory indicators would not work for me. I am sent out to the shop to fart all the time so all other smells would be masked :)

Stan Krupowies
12-06-2011, 6:11 AM
Olfactory indicators would not work for me. I am sent out to the shop to fart all the time so all other smells would be masked :)

Don't even think about giving that little tip to my wife! I'd be spending all night in my shop.

Forrest Bonner
12-06-2011, 11:31 AM
NO, NO, NO! The only good advice above is to get her to NOT EVEN OPEN THE DOOR if a machine is running. Any distraction that diverts your attention from that very sharp, rapidly moving blade near at hand can lead to a trip to the emergency room. Happened to me, happens to others every day. If she doesn't love you enough to do that, well, maybe you should re-think the living arrangement.
Forrest

ray hampton
12-06-2011, 6:16 PM
buy a motion sensing camera and wired the camera to flashing lights