PDA

View Full Version : News, small NE bowl and a score of Ash.

Clint Baxter
12-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Been a long year to this point. Haven't been able to do much turning since we started fighting the high water. The flood evacuation in the end of May completely shut me down until I was finally able to get the lathe back up around the middle of October. Since then I get a little bit of turning time in when I'm not working on trying to rebuild the house, or the shop, or actually do a little work to try to bring in some money.

I was able to finish his small NE bowl. Figured it might be good for a Christmas gift, but the wife has claimed it for her own, so it must not be too bad. Ash, about 5-1/2" in the long dimension and 4" tall. Ended up leaving a small foot on it because I may have ended up with a funnel otherwise. Let me know what you think.

Was able to recover a few logs from the flood. They were inside the shop but I ended up with a fair amount of checking on them. Did the Ash bowl above. the center NE roughout and the two box elder roughouts.

The other three roughouts came from a score of Ash from a friend who just built a new home, (courtesy of the flood), and had two of them removed from his property. It had been cut down for a while before I was able to get my hands on it, but only lost a couple inches off the ends to checking. Have most of it cut up for bowl blanks except for the base of the tree and one other longer piece. I may try turning a few bowls to completion from the green wood. How well does ash behave when turned such? Is it likely to move much if I get it down to 1/4" thickness, or less, and soak it with Antique Oil right away? Any suggestions on how to treat it would be much appreciated.

Finally a thanks to all of you here on the Creek that have kept my turning fix occupied. I've, at least, been able to view your creations, questions, and gloats and they've helped me through my turning drought.

BTW, We've rebuilt the house to where we're able to live here. The only question is for how long. They plan on doing river rechanneling and they will have to take the house and shop when they do so. So we're here on borrowed time. May be several years before we have to move out, but it's not encouraging to know that we've got to pick it up and move it now that we're getting it all back together.

Take care, Clint

Ken Hill
12-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Glad to see you all are safe and ok, but man my heart goes out to you and so many others having to deal with all the flooding and havoc it brings

Baxter Smith
12-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Those roughouts look good. They will make some nice looking bowls. I can't begin to imagine what you have had to go through. Knowing a disaster is coming makes it safer, but thats about it. I might have to keep reminding myself, thats all that really counts. Hang in there!

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-02-2011, 12:49 PM
I can't even imagine what you folks up there have gone through. The year is almost over and seems to be moving out smoothly for you. Next year will be better if those blanks and the great NE bowl are a harbinger.
faust

Dan Forman
12-02-2011, 1:11 PM
Clint --- The bowls look good, glad to see you are able to spend some time turning again. Sounds like you have been going through quite an ordeal. In such times, it's best to focus on what you still do have, and stay present as best you can. I wish you and your family the best in recovering from this.

Dan

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2011, 2:38 PM
Clint - glad to see that life is returning to normal... somewhat! Good looking bowls! Hope you are able to get in some more shop time! Best of luck with rebuilding everything!

Jim Burr
12-02-2011, 3:18 PM
I used to think normal was over rated...no more after this year!! Getting back to the shop sounds like good therapy!

John Keeton
12-02-2011, 3:35 PM
Clint, having been through some floods in my younger years, I can certainly feel for you in that regard. The damage is one thing, but the clean up and trying to get back in your home is the hardest part. There are so many considerations - electrical, HVAC, etc. The water and mud gets in every crevice. We had dust and mold issues for years afterward, but back then, the knowledge of the dangers of those things was limited. Probably good we didn't know!

But, looks like you are to the point where you can start to again enjoy life. The bowl and rough outs look great, and sounds like a good score on the ash.

Clint Baxter
12-03-2011, 8:41 AM
Thanks for the thoughts. Mold issues are key around here. We've put a lot of time and money into the place to prevent that. I can tell when walking into other places here that have been flooded when they haven't done as much. You get that musty smell that something isn't completely clean/dried out. I'm just hoping ours doesn't have the smell and that I've just gotten used to smelling it, LOL.

Clint

charlie knighton
12-03-2011, 9:01 AM
very nice bowls, glad to see you turning again, hope things work out with the authorities, i hate it when i am in the way of the big picture

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Clint I feel for you. We had the same thing happen in 56 and 57 floods here. When they rechanneled we lost the house that my great grandfather had built. It is a tough time but glad to hear you are getting somewhat back to normal and getting some turning time. The NE bowl really looks nice and the other bowls can't wait to see them finished.