PDA

View Full Version : Some really stinky Maple

John Spitters
12-02-2011, 11:55 AM
The other day at my Brothers farm we cut down a Maple, and it looked to have some potential for some nice bowls. However for turning wet wood it was extreamly hard, and I needed to sharpen my gouges a few times on each bowl roughout, and the smell was terrible. But looks like I'll come out of this with some nice bowls in the end.

Clint Baxter
12-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Wood looks nice. Never had any of the green woods that were difficult to turn. Hope they won't get progressively worse when they dry out.

Clint

Dan Forman
12-02-2011, 1:21 PM
That is some gorgeous wood though, love the contrast. Hope it's no worse than elm in the odor department - I have been able to get used to that. Never heard of stinky maple, maybe it has something to do with the unusual color.

Dan

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2011, 2:11 PM
I have turned stinky Maple before... smelled just like a barnyard! Looks like you should have some real nice bowls once they are finished!

John Spitters
12-02-2011, 3:11 PM
I have turned stinky Maple before... smelled just like a barnyard! Looks like you should have some real nice bowls once they are finished!

Yes that's more or less what it smells like.

John

Jim Burr
12-02-2011, 3:15 PM
Looks like it will be worth the smell!!

Rick Markham
12-02-2011, 3:16 PM
Stinky Maple... never had the misfortune. Really striking colors and contrast in it. Definitely worth it. Worst smelling green wood I have had so far is Box Elder, that stuff smells like a cattle truck after a long haul :( Sure is pretty stuff though!

Harry Robinette
12-02-2011, 6:02 PM
Allot of the trees that grows over a leech bed or an old manure pile will take on the smell. Coming from a farm that's probably it.

Doug Herzberg
12-02-2011, 6:14 PM
I have some cottonwood that smells like the dogs who used the yard next to it. Nice looking maple. You'll have something beautiful when it's done.

Rich Aldrich
12-02-2011, 6:43 PM
Any chance it is soft maple cut near marsh or swamp? I have run into this. Also, I had some cherry that smelled like horse urine that was cut along side a horse pasture, not that there was any connection.:rolleyes: I did not finish making bowls out of this stuff. It went in the outdoor wood boiler.

David DeCristoforo
12-02-2011, 6:56 PM
Stinky Maple? That's a new one for me. Something else to look forward to!

Baxter Smith
12-02-2011, 7:41 PM
I wonder if the smell is related to the staining. Should make some good looking bowls when done!

John Spitters
12-02-2011, 8:08 PM
My thoughts
This tree was growing along a fence line, my brother had just purchased this property but he has been living just 2 doors down for the past 20 yrs. In all of that time there has been next to no livestock on that property, definitely not horses. and it was never near a manure pile. Now it was growing along side a swale that allowed both this land and a neighboring property to drain surface water. The neighboring property is a cherry orchard. I'm thinking that just maybe it might have something to do with the chemicals that may have been applied to the cherry trees, and the surface runoff water would have brought it in contact with the roots from this tree.
BUT! I also took down a Birch tree that was next to this Maple and roughed out some bowls from it as well and no smell, only from the Maple.

P.S. I should add ... this tree also had very thick moss growing on all sides up to at least 10' high and none on the Birch.
John

Donny Lawson
12-02-2011, 9:25 PM
It might be stinky wood but it is beautiful wood. Looking foward to seeing the finished product.

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2011, 9:27 PM
That is going to be a nice looking bowl. I have had some of that stinky maple. Had that bad barnyard smell that Steve refered to.

Bob Bergstrom
12-02-2011, 9:30 PM
Beautiful wood. Wear a clothes pin and enjoy that great looking wood.

robert baccus
12-03-2011, 1:00 AM
Don"t complain! i lost my sence of smell completely and kinda miss it. i can turn boxelder or elm all day and never be bothered so i should consider it a blessing?----------old forester

John Spitters
12-03-2011, 11:27 AM
I just hope that the smell will go away and bowls will be usable once they are finished.
Right now the pungent juice from these roughouts that has dried on my shop walls makes the shop smell like a barnyard.

John