PDA

View Full Version : KAPEX the saw with the claw

Michael Simpson Virgina
12-02-2011, 10:44 AM
I had my doubts. I had to cut some thick walled 80/20 aluminum( 3" x 6" ) the other day and here is how it went.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5JSWxBcuqk

I had to cut 6 of these, I cleaned up the chips before each cut. The results were excellent. All 6 were perfect.

James Baker SD
12-02-2011, 11:49 AM
that was good to see. I have a stack of aluminum waiting to be cut and the Kapex Aluminum blade sitting next to the saw. Was still a little worried about trying it. Thanks for the confidence booster.

Michael Simpson Virgina
12-02-2011, 1:37 PM
Just make sure you use an aux table id you are not cutting large pieces off. Aluminum likes to jamb up. And if it catches it will go flying.

Also Make sure you use fully enclosed eye protection. Those little alumnum chips go everywere.

Grant Wilkinson
12-02-2011, 3:08 PM
Turn off your dust collector, too. The aluminum chips are hot! I set my shop vac on fire, so I'm not talking theory here.

fRED mCnEILL
12-02-2011, 3:21 PM
I manufacture tack boxes that use aluminum extrusions and I cut it all the time on my Makita SCMS. You just need the proper blade. I also built a aux table with a Bessey adjustable hold down. If you don't have a hold down it WILL, on occasion, grab the extrusion. Works like a charm. And you do need eye protection.

James Baker SD
12-02-2011, 3:45 PM
I use a PAPR for my lungs, so a full lexan face shield is part of the system. Good to know about leaving the the DC off. I will not be cutting small pieces, but 45 degree miters for a framework to hold diffusers panels in the ceiling light well.

Mike Heidrick
12-02-2011, 5:37 PM
In this design no cutting, Just drilling.

Whoops there goes that idea.

Michael Simpson Virgina
12-02-2011, 8:04 PM
@ Mike Heidrick
You can order any 80/20 Extrusion cut. I cut my own, because I can.

As a matter of fact I can take every single piece of 80/20 in my CNC design and have 80/20 create a kit purchase of those parts.

I will also say that when you order a piece of 80/20 cut to a particualr size, it is cut to that size. Unlike many other companies.