PDA

View Full Version : My Mini HF Tool

James Combs
12-02-2011, 9:23 AM
I have a small hollowing tool I made out of one of those "Z" shaped combo screwdrivers, you know, the ones that come with a small equipment's tool pack. It has a Philips on one end at a ninety degree angle and a straight-blade screwdriver on the other end at an opposite ninety degree angle. I used the straight blade end by heating and straightening the Philips end, adding another opposing angle on the straight blade end and shaping/sharpening the straight-blade end. Shoved the Philips end into an Oak dowel for a handle and presto a small hollowing tool. It is similar to the Allen wrench tools that have been made by other Creekers. However, there is another difference besides the original tool. Most everyone makes these tools angled to the, lets call it the left, I angled my to the right. That allows me to hollow on the opposite side of the HF while running the lathe in reverse. It gives me a much better view of what I am doing and for me, gives me better control of the tool. Since it is fairly small and only relatively light cuts are taken I am not concerned about my chuck unscrewing.

I had posted int Kevin Lucas' thread "How many cut out the bottoms?" that I would post a photo of my tool today so here it is. Hopefully this might help others also in making their own tool.

C&C welcomed.

Derek Gilmer
12-02-2011, 9:48 AM
What do you use to heat the tool? Is a propane torch good enough?

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Nice tool JD. Looks like it would work really well.

James Combs
12-02-2011, 6:37 PM
Nice tool JD. Looks like it would work really well.
Thanks Bernie, I like it a lot. It is nice to have something to grab and hollow with when the HF is just too small for setting up the Monster rig.

What do you use to heat the tool? Is a propane torch good enough?
I used an old propane torch I have in the shop. It was slow but eventually the tool turned cherry red at the heated point. Then I stuck it into a vice to straighten the Philips end and heated it again to bend the second bend at the straight blade end. Had to do a little hammer and anvil routine on the Philips end also.

Edit: Added photo of tool I used to make hollowing tool.

Kevin Lucas
12-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Hmm I have gas I can steal from the little gas grill now I need a tip. I wouldn't have thought of the screwdriver that's a really neat idea!

Bob Wolfe
12-03-2011, 3:19 PM
James
We (AF mechanic types) always called it an offset screwdriver, not completely sure if that's the proper name for it though. Nice Tool ! I think I might just have to borrow your idea. Thanks for sharing.

James Combs
12-03-2011, 6:45 PM
Hmm I have gas I can steal from the little gas grill now I need a tip. I wouldn't have thought of the screwdriver that's a really neat idea!
If you are like me there is probably one way there in the upper left front corner of the garage along with all the other stuff that's been there for decades. :rolleyes: Keep looking you find one someplace.

James
We (AF mechanic types) always called it an offset screwdriver, not completely sure if that's the proper name for it though. Nice Tool ! I think I might just have to borrow your idea. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, that's what it's called. Escaped my mind until you mentioned it. Thanks, some of us younger old-coots forget a lot of stuff.:o Your more then welcome to the idea.:)

Jim Burr
12-03-2011, 10:21 PM
You got some skills there JD!! Nice work!

Carl Civitella
12-04-2011, 6:57 AM
​I would like to get into some small HF`s, this sounds like a good idea to get started with out breaking the bank.. Carl