PDA

View Full Version : Hi! My name's Amanda

Amanda Brimm
12-02-2011, 1:08 AM
Just wanted to introduce myself... and post a few little projects of mine. I decided to take up woodworking not too long ago - another in my ever-growing collection of hobbies! I decided to join the forum of course for the learning opportunity and I suppose to see what kind of trouble my husband might be getting into on here... haha. (I've already found a few incriminating threads;))

Anyway, I'm posting in the General category because I wanted to show some CNC and turning. I recently got a Shark Pro Plus and have really been enjoying learning Aspire. After a day or two of frustration, I finally decided to read the manual and it's been pretty smooth after that!

The Backyard Shade Craft plugs are my first paid job - a woodworker friend of mine wanted his logo carved into 3" plugs of different woods that he could then drill a hole and inlay into his pergolas and tables and such. The little round box is a 2" wide project I did out of scrap wood. The sailing sign (next post/attachment limit) was my first test-project piece on the CNC using one of the sample 3D files that comes with the software. The seahorse box was my second project on the CNC. I carved the whole box out of a large piece of butcher block just to be stubborn. I used an end mill to mill out the bottom half of the box, make the inside pocket and mill out the lid - then I flipped the butcher block over, and milled out the bottom, and milled the pocket for the inside of the lid and then cut the tabs and popped out the two halves of the box, add some magnets and a hinge and voila!

The last project here is a Russian style supported spindle for spinning yarn. This is going to be my white elephant gift for the holiday potluck at the weaver's guild. (I'm a business manager for a handweaving loom manufacturing company). I made the spindle and bowl on the lathe and then used the CNC to sign my name on the bottom.

Thanks for listening!
Amanda

Amanda Brimm
12-02-2011, 1:09 AM
The rest of the pictures...

Bruce Page
12-02-2011, 1:35 AM
Amanda, welcome to the Creek! Very nice work. I love the lines of your turned spindle.How do you like the Shark Pro? I have been looking at small table top CNC's for awhile.

richard poitras
12-02-2011, 5:32 AM
Amanda, welcome and looking good on the projects. And does this mean your husband has to look for a new forum now as to not get himself in trouble... :eek: :D

Joe Leigh
12-02-2011, 6:50 AM
Welcome Amanda! ....and beautiful work

John McClanahan
12-02-2011, 6:56 AM
Welcome Amanda! Very nice work.

John

Dan Hintz
12-02-2011, 7:51 AM
The rest of the pictures...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=214445

Really digging this one... welcome to The Creek :)

Rob Holcomb
12-02-2011, 8:20 AM
Welcome to the Creek Amanda and Very nice work you've done! If I may ask, what type of wood is the spindle made out of? Is that Walnut or an exotic?

Paul McGaha
12-02-2011, 8:25 AM
Welcome to Sawmill Creek Amanda. It's a great forum.

PHM

Andrew Pitonyak
12-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Very nice work..... both the shaping and the finish.

Doug Morgan
12-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Fantastic work there Amanda. Welcome to the forum

Mike Heidrick
12-02-2011, 12:23 PM
hi Amanda. Like your CNC work, LOVE your photography!

Amanda Brimm
12-02-2011, 1:25 PM
THANK you everyone for the warm welcome!!

Amanda, welcome to the Creek! Very nice work. I love the lines of your turned spindle.How do you like the Shark Pro? I have been looking at small table top CNC's for awhile.Thanks Bruce! I don't have experience with other CNCs, but I am really enjoying the Shark. I was debating between it and the Carvewright C. I ended up choosing the Shark because I liked the t-clamp aluminum table for the flexibility in doing small as well as larger pieces. I like that it uses real G code and a standard router (standard bits). I'm not a big fan of proprietary products. I've heard some complaints about the user-friendliness of the software, but I consider myself to be very computer savvy and the manual is very good. Aspire is a good chunk of money over the cost of the machine, which only comes with VCarve, but for doing 3D or anything beside v-carving, I think it's a must. To me, the cost has been the only downside so far. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?173122-Advice-on-a-budget-hobbyist-CNC&highlight=

Amanda, welcome and looking good on the projects. And does this mean your husband has to look for a new forum now as to not get himself in trouble... :eek::DHi Richard! We'll see if we're able to play nice! I'm pretty sure I saw him call me a nut somewhere in here, lol! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?175117-Considering-a-new-lathe-with-the-current-20-off-Jet-sale&highlight=

Really digging this one... welcome to The CreekThanks Dan! This was a piece of scrap birch plywood that I found in the shop. It's a little hard to tell, but the sailboat is sitting inside a dished-out oval - that's where the stripes come from. I ended up trying to paint it because it came out sort of bland. I appreciate the compliment!

Welcome to the Creek Amanda and Very nice work you've done! If I may ask, what type of wood is the spindle made out of? Is that Walnut or an exotic?Hi Rob! Yes, the spindle is made of Black Walnut. That made it a perfect little project when I was looking for a gift idea to make. Walnut seemed to be a popular choice for the Russian spindles - I think it may have something to do with the weight of the wood. We'll see after January if the spindle works as advertised. :rolleyes:

hi Amanda. Like your CNC work, LOVE your photography!Thanks Mike! Dave and I actually used to have a little photography business years ago. It got harder and harder to make a living at it, so...

ETA: Forum link context...

Randy Dutkiewicz
12-02-2011, 2:46 PM
Hi Amanda. Welcome to the Creek. You'll definitely get alot of great info from all different experience levels of woodworkers on here. Super job on the project by the way!! Those look fantastic!

John Coloccia
12-02-2011, 4:04 PM
Hey, uh David. Ixnay ethay alktay aboutway atthay ewnay athelay...

Oh, and welcome, Amanda :)

Amanda Brimm
12-02-2011, 9:56 PM
Thanks Randy! Yes, I think there's a lot more information than I'll ever be able to absorb in here!

Oh, and welcome, Amanda :) Haha, I guess that's the price you pay for getting your wife involved in your hobby and then inviting her to your online hangout! :D

gary Zimmel
12-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Welcome to the Creek Amanda. Thanks for the look see on some of your projects.

David Brimm
12-02-2011, 11:17 PM

Oh, and welcome, Amanda :)

Uh oh, too late.. :eek:

Amanda Brimm
12-03-2011, 1:29 AM
Welcome to the Creek Amanda. Thanks for the look see on some of your projects.
Thanks Gary!

Bill White
12-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Alright! Your work is too good. Go away!!!!
Just jokin' of course. Welcome aboard and keep showin' us your efforts.
Bill

Amanda Brimm
12-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Alright! Your work is too good. Go away!!!!
Just jokin' of course. Welcome aboard and keep showin' us your efforts.
Bill You flatter me lol! Now you can't make me leave! Thanks Bill!

Don Morris
12-03-2011, 1:12 PM
Welcome Amanda, my aunt (Albuquerque, NM) did weaving with a loom. Used to teach classes in it. People would send her their cats or other animals fur and she would spin it then weave something. The problem with starting out in woodworking thinking you'll just do one thing often is that you end up doing much more...often requires more tools. Just ask your husband. We'll understand this problem. So you can come here to get help, ideas, sympathy, encouragement and how to ask him the right way to get that new tool.

Amanda Brimm
12-03-2011, 1:25 PM
Welcome Amanda, my aunt (Albuquerque, NM) did weaving with a loom. Used to teach classes in it. People would send her their cats or other animals fur and she would spin it then weave something. The problem with starting out in woodworking thinking you'll just do one thing often is that you end up doing much more...often requires more tools. Just ask your husband. We'll understand this problem. So you can come here to get help, ideas, sympathy, encouragement and how to ask him the right way to get that new tool.Haha, yes, he's finding that out fast! Before, it was always him trying to convince me he needed a new tool... now it's me convincing him I need a new tool... This could be disastrous for our finances if neither spouse is a moderating force! I'm terrible when it comes to trying out a new hobby and doing my first project and getting bored. Woodworking so far has kept my attention and it looks like it'll be a looong time coming before I could even think of getting bored. It's also great to have such a fantastic learning playground here. Most of the time, I can find the answer I'm looking for already in the forums.

Mike Cruz
12-03-2011, 6:19 PM
Nothin' like a woman joining a mostly male forum, and saying "Hi, I'm Amanda". What a sure way to get 1,300 hits in 24 hrs...:D

Amanda, now you see what kind of threads become incriminating... ;)

Welcome to the Creek, and I look forward to seeing more of your projects. Pics are ALWAYS welcome and appreciated.

Bruce Page
12-03-2011, 8:34 PM
Mike, we're not that bad. It's actuall been almost two days. ;)

Amanda Brimm
12-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Haha, I hadn't actually looked at the thread views! Same thing happens in the sailing forums :)

Mike Cruz
12-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Amanda, Belinda gets her fair dose of our attention...I guess she'll just have to share. ;)

Amanda Brimm
12-04-2011, 1:30 AM
Amanda, Belinda gets her fair dose of our attention...I guess she'll just have to share. ;) Very cool - I just looked through her profile and it seems we have a lot of common interests. Must be something about the type of girl who likes woodworking. :)

Belinda Barfield
12-04-2011, 8:07 AM
Sigh . . . I knew it was too good to last. :D Okay, Amanda, I'll share. Besides, you've got me beat in the CNC department. I don't get much time on the CNC these days.

I wish I had thought about that "Hi, I'm Belinda" approach, I dove into the Creek in a whole different way.

Seriously, the folks here are great. Don't let the guys fool you, they're always gentleman (for the most part). They are also tremendously helpful and generous with their knowledge. So are the ladies.

I look forward to seeing more of your work. Oh, and watch out for Dan and Mike . . . they'll gang up on you but mostly only in the Off Topic or Lumberyard forums. Visit us there!

John Coloccia
12-04-2011, 8:17 AM
If I were single, I would be tempted to try that on a craft forum.

me: "Hi, I'm John"

"Ohh...hey, John"

"Is it getting warm in here?"

"Look at his font"

"I love your scrapbooks...sooo manly"

:D

Belinda Barfield
12-04-2011, 8:23 AM
If I were single, I would be tempted to try that on a craft forum.

me: "Hi, I'm John"

"Ohh...hey, John"

"Is it getting warm in here?"

"Look at his font"

"I love your scrapbooks...sooo manly"

And behind the scenes . . .

"Amanda, a man just joined the forum! A man, on a scrapbooking forum! What do you think he wants?"

"I don't know Belinda but I think we ought to keep an eye on him. He could be one of those predator types that runs with scissors, and pastes in his photos at odd angles. OOOOH I bet he uses rick rack around the edges of his pages. This can't be good."

"I agree Amanda. He does have a pretty hot font though, you gotta' admit!"

Rich Engelhardt
12-04-2011, 11:56 AM
"Amanda, a man just joined the forum! A man, on a scrapbooking forum! What do you think he wants?"

LOL!
Food ideas of course! :D

Mike Cruz
12-04-2011, 12:10 PM
John and Belinda...that was just pricesless! Thanks for the great start to my Sunday...:D

Belinda Barfield
12-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Don't forget to visit the CNC forum Amanda. Great folks there too! They even let Dan hang out, but I'm not sure why. It could be because he won a CNC in one of the free stuff drawings. I was drawn as the alternate (story of my life) if case Dan couldn't claim it. :eek: That's sort of like the time I placed in the top 25 in the Miss Pirate beauty pageant. My SO always makes me come clean and admit that there were only 25 contestants. :o I was one of them though . . . it counts!

Mike Cruz
12-04-2011, 1:27 PM
Give yourself a little credit, Belinda...I'm sure you scored high in the One-Eyed-Patch, Peg-Leg, and Hand-Hook catagories. :D

Amanda Brimm
12-04-2011, 2:38 PM
Wow, this thread really took off running while I was away! Thanks for the giggles! Your mock scrapbooking conversation is hilarious Belinda!

Belinda Barfield
12-04-2011, 3:36 PM
Give yourself a little credit, Belinda...I'm sure you scored high in the One-Eyed-Patch, Peg-Leg, and Hand-Hook catagories. :D

Yeah, and the sad thing is the point was not to be a Pirate. Our high school mascot was a Pirate so it was the high school pageant.

Mike Cruz
12-04-2011, 4:02 PM
Ohhhhh, you were supposed to be PiRETTY, not PIRATEy...

Kenneth Hertzog
12-04-2011, 5:30 PM
Welcome Amanda
your engravings are very nice and also done on a CNC shark
I've got two of them. you should post your work on the CNC forum also
those folks may not venture this far north on the forum:D
hope your having fun with the machines and keep the photos coming
Ken

Dan Hintz
12-05-2011, 8:20 AM
Belinda, would you stop staring at my font! I'm a one scrapbook kinda guy, so keep your scalloping shears to yourself.

Someone mentioned spending more money than you had originally planned? Nooooo kidding. I started out with a cheap Chinese laser and a few screwdrivers and pliers. A few years later I only have enough space in my sigline to fit (some of) the big stuff :-/ I'm still looking for room in my shop to put it all!