PDA

View Full Version : lumber storage problem

peter leyden
03-07-2005, 5:25 PM
My workshop is located in a 1 car garage, which is presently loaded to the rafters with machines and wood. There's not much room to move around at all. Iwould like to make or build a "Cheap" temporary shed of some sort so that I can store my wood out of the weather, but not in my garage. The structure can be built out of any material(metal tubing, tarps, wood, etc.) as long as it is cheap- the budget does not allow for spending a heck of a lot on this. All ideas are welcome, nothing is too far out. I know that the members of this forum have the collective wisdom of many years and any help would be appreciated. :)

Mike Holbrook
03-07-2005, 7:23 PM
I built a pretty reasonably priced tool and wood storage shed recently. I bought 6 - 10' sections of pre-made cedar privacy fence form the Depot (like $30 each). So The building is 20 x10. I have not even finished the door yet. One panel will attach to the roof via a sliding rail, giving me a 10' sliding door. I put a Dark Grey tin roof over it. The panels I used have small cracks between boards but they have not let any noticeable amount of rain in. The roof & sides rest on 4x4 posts in concrete, poured in the holes dry.

I like this building so well I am thinking of building another one.

lou sansone
03-07-2005, 9:24 PM
peter
I don't know where you live, so take this recommendation with a grain of salt. Some folks buy an old tractor trailor box and "park it" and use it for storage. I personally would not do that, but those related to me have! hey you asked for suggestions

good luck
lou

Tom Sontag
03-07-2005, 10:12 PM
I don't know what your zoning or space is like, but the main goal is to keep the sun and rain off the pile. A tarp and some weight is all you NEED. More permanent is four poles and a sloping roof.

jim mckee
03-08-2005, 8:02 AM
If one side of the garage allows, put a roof off of it, 2 posts, 3 sides, your done.
jim

Jeff Sudmeier
03-08-2005, 8:27 AM
If you are out in the country, just about anything will work for you. Find some 4x4 posts and make up a quick frame for the cheapest tin you can find. Even cheaper yet would be some PVC pipe to make a frame for a tarp. From what I have read you don't want it air tight, so you would want one side open.

David Dixson
03-08-2005, 9:31 AM
Old fashioned pole barn is pretty inexpensive.