PDA

View Full Version : Ipe decking

Scott Schwake
03-07-2005, 4:25 PM
Anyone used ipe for their deck? I'll be building this summer and am considering using it. I'd appreciate hearing about experiences anyone has.

Great forum by the way.

Thanks, Scott

Dennis Peacock
03-07-2005, 5:29 PM
Greeting Scott and WELCOME to SMC!!!!!

Ipe is a good wood to use for outdoors. It is dense, hard and can take wear nicely. A buddy of mine is going to be making his stairs outside his home with a set of Ipe steps.

Ken Garlock
03-07-2005, 9:40 PM
Welcome Scott :)

Over the weekend I saw a program that used Ipe as decking. A couple things they pointed out are:

1. It is very hard on tools, dulls them quickly.
2. It must be predrilled and countersunk prior to screwing down.
3. They put lumber sealer on the freshly cut ends of each board to prevent checking.

Otherwise, they had nothing but praise for the wood.

John Shuk
03-07-2005, 10:17 PM
D,
My front porch is decked with Ipe.
I love it. I am happy with the look and I like being able to go out barefoot and not worry about splinters. Just try to remember to put anchorseal or similar product on the fresh cuts. You will get checking if you don't but the checks close back up after time! It is tough on tools but you are talking an extra saw blade and maybe some drill bits not a huge expense. I got mine from Lumber Liquidators and did quite well price wise. I think with shipping I paid about $1.15 a linear foot for 1x3 good quality wood as well. They do ship all over I think. Good Luck.
John