PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Panel

Teresa Jones
03-07-2005, 4:25 PM
Rob posted a remark regarding keeping items clear of the electrical panel in Frank's picture of saws.

Can someone explain why this is a bad thing?

Is it a fire hazard or an access issue? Or something else I missed entirely!!

Thanks,

TJ

Jim Becker
03-07-2005, 4:33 PM
It's merely the rules...code. But presumably, it's to be sure that there is quick, easy and sure access to the panel to turn something or all of it off.

David Fried
03-07-2005, 4:59 PM
In the dark I have leveled everything in front of the panel in my house trying to get to the breakers in the pitch dark. I now keep the area in front of the box and a path to the box clear just so I don't break things or hurt myself in the dark. I didn't even know it was a question of code! Seems to be one of those rules that actually makes sense!

Dennis Peacock
03-07-2005, 5:40 PM
Our local code requires clear access to the electrical panel. Must be clear in front of the panel cover and must be clear for 3 feet to one side of the panel for emergencies and servicability. I you have a sparking short somewhere, it's a LOT easier to turn off breakers if you don't have to clear a path to it! :rolleyes: ;)

Randy Moore
03-07-2005, 5:44 PM
The area in front of the Electrical Panel needs to be free of obstructions so that if you need to get to the panel quickly you can. You don't want to have to move tools, wood or what have you so that you can shut something off in a hurry. And, like David said he leveled everything in the dark to get to his panel. I presume everyone here could walk through their home in the dark, no lights what so ever, without getting banged up to bad.

It is also a code requirement to have EASY access to the panel with no obstructions. Every place of business has to have that area clear or it is a stiff fine from the city/county.
I am in construction , that is the reason I know of this.

Randy

Mike Holbrook
03-07-2005, 7:04 PM
I think another issue is the fire hazard. Friends down the road had a fire that started in a exterior service panel. That fire spread rapidly to material near the panel. There house is pretty much totaled, they are selling the property and starting over.

Rob Russell
03-08-2005, 8:18 AM
Teresa,

The code requirement (in the US - remember Frank's in Canada ;) ) is that the "working space" for a typical indoor residential panelboard must be 30" wide x 3' deep and run from floor to ceiling. You can't have piping and/or other stuff running through that space.

It's also a safety issue as some of the other folks have noted. If you have a motor that fries and the breaker doesn't kick out - you don't want to be stumbling over stuff to get to the breaker panel.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-08-2005, 8:29 AM
This discussion brings up another great plus for a sub panel in the shop, something I do not have. If I had a problem in the shop, I would have to go clear to the basement to shut off the outlets....

Bob Hovde
03-08-2005, 8:53 AM
Teresa,

The code requirement (in the US - remember Frank's in Canada ;) ) is that the "working space" for a typical indoor residential panelboard must be 30" wide x 3' deep and run from floor to ceiling. You can't have piping and/or other stuff running through that space.

It's also a safety issue as some of the other folks have noted. If you have a motor that fries and the breaker doesn't kick out - you don't want to be stumbling over stuff to get to the breaker panel.

Rob is right about the code "working space," but there's nothing in the code that would preclude being dumb enough to pile so much "temporary stuff" in that space (in your own house) that you couldn't get to the panel fast.

Bob

Frank Pellow
03-08-2005, 9:24 AM
By the way, the area the Rob commented on, has now been cleared. As can be confirmed if you look at some of the pictures in the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17642&page=1.